Point Break Remake - Trailer - Christmas 2015

Goose

I dusted off the original and watched it again tonight. It's been a while, and even though I knew it was heavy on bromance, I was still all "Damn, what a love story!" by the end.

When Keanu walks away at the end, and says, "He's not coming back.", and we see Swayze become engulfed by the killer wave, I started to get a bit emotional.

Which was surprising considering how many times I've seen it. What a fucking movie! :wub:

It's Ratt's tune. It's just fucking perfect.

• 6 months later...

...casting is absolutely disastrous with Luke Bracey emerging as one of the dullest screen heroes in recent memory. Bracey is a well-sculpted Aussie heartthrob in the Hemsworth mold, but he has no personality. Anyone who gives Jai Courtney a hard time will think twice after seeing Bracey in this.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-point-break-587-02

Ouch.

Did anyone expect this not to bomb- including the studio?

Releasing Christmas day seems like a good way to try and hide something?

You would think but in the US many many people actually go to the cinema on Christmas Day to the point where it's one of the the busiest days, I think. Which is pretty tragic in my mind and just another thing to hate about Americans. So a lot of films now open on Christmas Day there.

Star Wars TFA took in 50m in the US on Christmas Day alone (and then set a record for the biggest second weekend ever), for example and there were two other films which came out and did well.

Imagine spending Christmas Day watching this with some cunt kicking your chair and someone next to you eating overpriced popcorn while a tall couple in front of you talk to each other and Clash of Clans adverts blare out. I would end it all right there.

You would think but in the US many many people actually go to the cinema on Christmas Day to the point where it's one of the the busiest days, I think. Which is pretty tragic in my mind and just another thing to hate about Americans. So a lot of films now open on Christmas Day there.

Star Wars TFA took in 50m in the US on Christmas Day alone (and then set a record for the biggest second weekend ever), for example and there were two other films which came out and did well.

Imagine spending Christmas Day watching this with some cunt kicking your chair and someone next to you eating overpriced popcorn while a tall couple in front of you talk to each other and Clash of Clans adverts blare out. I would end it all right there.

Nah, I'd do it if I was in the States; think it's a cool idea. Bear in mind, they have no Boxing Day and are back in work on a (non-weekend) 26th, so are trying to cram in as much fun as poss before work restarts. Beats turkey sandwiches and arguments!

in almost every country in the world that celebrates christmas, they do the presents and the family dinner on christmas eve. Xmas day is a perfect day for a bit of summer vibe action.

The film bombed cos it is cinematic kryptonite, not cos of any release strategy

Blimey, without the $39m this has made in China, it would be up there with Pluto Nash. Okay, not quite that bad, but still pretty terrible.

Saw the trailer on IMAX before The Force Awakens and a couple of moments did again stir some interest but then Extreme Detective Sportsman No1 started talking and I thought I'd be better off watching some GoPro captures on YouTube and save a few quid.

Keanu is one of my favourite movie stars

He's grown into it over the years, entertaining and distinctive screen persona. But early on in his career he wasn't great at all, (but was perfect for the original Point Break)

They should have made this a sequel with Keanu rather than a remake with a poor man's Jai Courtney.

• 2 months later...

so did anyone watch this? 

This is pretty much a stunt spectacle of a film. The story was poor in comparison to the original and the characters were not as interesting as the first film.

The stunts were ridiculous by the end of the film... but i must admit i found the film worth watching for those alone.

One of my friends tried to get me to watch this with her, only to find out that just 2 weeks after release they already stopped showing it here. Don't think I missed out on anything though :D 

Still haven't seen the original though, must put that on my list.

This has to be one of the worst remakes I've ever seen. The Bodhi character is awfully miscast. The role needs someone with charisma, not the opposite of it. The pacing is way off, but the dialogue. My. Fucking. God. Special bonus cringe points to the scene where they explain the title of the film. "It's like... the point... at which you break. Maaaan."

Jesus.

It's worse than the sequel to The Lost Boys.

• 11 months later...
On 12/03/2016 at 16:23, Darhkwing said:

so did anyone watch this? 

This is pretty much a stunt spectacle of a film. The story was poor in comparison to the original and the characters were not as interesting as the first film.

The stunts were ridiculous by the end of the film... but i must admit i found the film worth watching for those alone.

I feel much the same.

I watched it earlier, and it's a stunning looking film. Ericson Core might not be able to command performances from sentient pieces of wood like Luke Bracey, or do much about the awful on-the-nose dialogue, but the guy knows how to shoot the shit out of whatever sets, stunts, or scenery he's presented with. The rock climb towards the end, my hands were sweating like mad watching that. I don't deal with heights very well, and that shit me right up. The plot became secondary to whatever batshit insane stunt was next, so I found it hard to hate it despite its glaring flaws.

What happened to Ray Winstone's accent, though? He'd a shit American one in the trailers, but is strictly 'Sarf Lahndahn' in the movie.