Point Break Remake - Trailer - Christmas 2015

Goose

In Alcon Entertainment’s fast-paced, high-adrenaline action thriller Point Break, a young FBI agent, Johnny Utah (Luke Bracey), infiltrates a cunning team of thrill-seeking elite athletes – led by the charismatic Bodhi (Edgar Ramirez). The athletes are suspected of carrying out a spate of crimes in extremely unusual ways.

Deep undercover, and with his life in imminent danger, Utah strives to prove they are the architects of this string of inconceivable crimes.

The film is replete with the most daring athleticism ever seen in a motion picture. These action adventure feats are performed by elite athletes representing the world’s best in class in big-wave surfing, wingsuit flying, sheer-face snowboarding, free rock climbing, and high-speed motorcycling.

The film stars Édgar Ramírez (Zero Dark Thirty, The Bourne Ultimatum, Carlos the Jackal) as Bodhi, and Luke Bracey (G.I. Joe: Retaliation, November Man) as Johnny Utah, along with Ray Winstone (Noah, The Departed), Teresa Palmer (Warm Bodies) and Delroy Lindo (Sahara, Gone in Sixty Seconds), under the direction of Ericson Core (Invincible).

Core directed from a screenplay by Kurt Wimmer (Salt, Law Abiding Citizen). Alcon principals Broderick Johnson and Andrew A. Kosove produced, along with John Baldecchi, Chris Taylor and Kurt Wimmer. Studio Babelsberg also co-produced. RGM Media principal Devesh Chetty and investor John McMurrick, Chairman of Marloss Entertainment, served as executive producers. Director Ericson Core, who served as director of photography on such films asInvincible, The Fast and the Furious and Payback, also serves as director of photography onPoint Break.

Renowned extreme athletes performing stunts in the film include surfers Laird Hamilton, Sebastian Zietz, Makua Rothman, Billy Kemper, Brian Keaulana, Ahanu Tson-dru, Ian Walsh, Laurie Towner, Dylan Longbottom, Albee Layer, Bruce Irons, Tikanui Smith and Tuhiti Humani; snowboarders Xavier De Le Rue, Louis Vito, Christian Haller, Lucas DeBari and Ralph Backstrom; skateboarders Bob Burnquist and Eric Koston; motorcyclists Riley Harper and Oakley Lehman; wingsuit stunt pilots Jon Devore, Julian Boulle, Noah Bahnson, Jhonathan Florez and Mike Swanson, and consultant Jeb Corliss; and free climber Chris Sharma, among others.

Making cameos in the film are DJs Steve Aoki, Seth Troxler and The Art Department, as well as sports commentator and TV host Sal Masekela.

The extreme sports line is cringeworthy. No idea what Winston's accent is about. Entire film in trailer.

post-242-0-37665700-1432724412_thumb.jpg

Terrible. Just terrible.

So they take Utah, some Quantico punk, who just joined the FBI Global Government Crack Unit who is clean cut and fresh already a bodacious extreme sport dude to hunt down super rad extreme sport criminals and throw in some Busey Winston as wise old mentor. Bodhi looks to young and doesn't have Swayze's zen about him.

I'm putting that and the Robocop and Total Recall remakes all into the same box of shit.

Everything seems to be turned up to 11 and it doesn't look to have any of the charm of the original. Just set piece after set piece.

This film looks like it could have been it's own film it's it's own right too, much like F&F was. Why even call it Point Break and try to link it to a film it looks nothing like? The only comparison is the leads name and the premise of infiltrating a criminal gang. I mean Point Break is actually a surfing term ffs, and this just looks like they've just shoe horned a few surfing scenes into.

They could have made this whole movie and called it something else and I think they have got more people interested in it. But calling it Point Break will just put people off it.

One of the great things about Point Break was that although the bad guys were into 'extreme' surfing, there was also a very chilled out, natural, tribal, animal pack side to them. This was really complimented by amazing long shots of the beach at sunset and dawn, and the relaxing and awesome sounds of waves. That evocative side was what was so toxic and alluring to our hero Johnny.

That all feels missing from the trailer.

And now I really want to see the original again.

KEANU :mellow:

Ah come on, that trailer is alright!

The best bit is Ray Winstone's kamikaze accent, of course. It's at 1'50" if you can't bear to sit through the whole thing. This movie could be the companion piece to Fool's Gold that we've all been waiting for!

I've never seen Point Break, so have no attachment to the original, although I'm sure it has more charm in one line from Swayze than the remake appears to have.

That being said, my stomach lurched several times while watching the remake's trailer, so as soulless as the remake looks and 'rad' as it is trying to be, like a dad turning his baseball cap sideways and doing an out-of-time running man at his kid's 10th birthday, I almost want to see it on IMAX.

Ah come on, that trailer is alright!

The best bit is Ray Winstone's kamikaze accent, of course. It's at 1'50" if you can't bear to sit through the whole thing. This movie could be the companion piece to Fool's Gold that we've all been waiting for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxQFUV_AcA

Movie Exec 1: Hey buddy. You know what we haven't remade yet? Point Break. Sure, it had its fans back when it was released, but imagine what we could do with modern technology. Explosions! Bikes leaping through glass windows! Snowboarding down massive mountains! And we can get a bunch of young actors in who can make it appeal to a young generation who never saw the origional.

Movie Exec 2: Great idea. If there was one thing the original needed it was a skydiving scene where the criminals have stowed away on a plane and then release millions of notes into the atmosphere. And make sure that we use the same names for the characters from the original film so that people who saw the first know who the characters are to begin with. It saves time on all that backstory and character development crap when we could be making something go BOOM! What does Point Break even mean, anyway?

Movie Exec 1: How the hell would I know. What do I look like, a wikipedia book thing? Ooh I know - lets make them hackers too. And lets have them smash up a train with rocks caused by more explosions!

This film bears all the hallmarks of a terrible remake. A film which needs no remake in the first place. A trailer focused on effects and spectacle rather than character and acting. And a lack of apparent awareness of the things which made the original so god in the first place.

Point Break was about a close-knit group of young men who get the meaning their lives need from thrill seeking, and how they are out of their depth when they lose control over the fine balance their lives require. The surfing, skydiving and bank robbing are all extensions of this, and the way that they approach all three with the same attitude under their charismatic leader defines the film. This remake looks like an action film about a bunch of criminals who happen to like doing dangerous sports.

I believe that like me, the people behind these robberies are extreme athletes

:facepalm:

Yeah they really nailed it

The great thing for me about PB, was that he has to learn how to surf, and ends up discovering he loves it.

Point Break is amazing. Easily in my top ten ever and probably in the top 5. I love everything about it from Gary Busey's coked to the eyeballs performance as Pappas, to the opposites attract central bromance between Utah and Bodhi. I'm even convinced that there are deep themes about society and the universe in the waves or something. Plus, despite the ridicule, Pappas was right all along - they were surfers...

There's already a Point Break remake, it's called Fast and Furious :quote:

No, that's the 4th one. The first one is The Fast and The Furious. Naming conventions, who needs 'em eh?

This looks poor, a different story with the names & title tacked on as a cynical ploy to sell more tickets.

I think Point Break may have been one of my favourite experiences at the cinema. Certainly the delta between my expectations and actual enjoyment was so large.

Yeah, me to. Just an amazing experience on the big screen.

Still, I'm surprised it's getting a remake. Putting aside the pointlessness of it, I didnt think the original set the box office on fire when it was released.

I dusted off the original and watched it again tonight. It's been a while, and even though I knew it was heavy on bromance, I was still all "Damn, what a love story!" by the end.

When Keanu walks away at the end, and says, "He's not coming back.", and we see Swayze become engulfed by the killer wave, I started to get a bit emotional.

Which was surprising considering how many times I've seen it. What a fucking movie! :wub:

"You know nothing. In fact, you know less than nothing. If you knew that you knew nothing, then that would be something, but you don't.You're a real blue flame special, aren't you, son? Young, dumb and full of cum, I know. What I don't know is how you got assigned out here in Los Angeles with us. Guess we must just have ourselves an asshole shortage, huh?"

"Not so far. "