rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PopeSmokesDope

The end of the road for FIFA?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-face-corruption-charges-in-us.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0&referrer=

The U.S. Is going after them for what we all basically know, it's racket.

Blatter's not been knicked but the writing is hopefully on the wall for the rest of his cronies!

It really did make no sense whatsoever for Russia to get the World Cup over us (England) and the Qatari bid was even worse - that whole bid stank. I can't think of a single positive reason why Qatar were given the World Cup; at least Russia has a footballing history/pedigree (including a serious issue with hooliganism and racism and a Government who don't particularly respect the Sovereignty of neighbouring countries and a poor human rights record) but Qatar has nothing other than limitless wealth.

I hope Blatter doesn't get re-elected on Friday.

I bet all those men who have been arrested were planning on voting against Blatter too. I'm glad these men have been arrested because it's clearly obvious to us all there's corruption in FIFA and it needd stamping out but the timing is all a little too convenient.

It was probably Blatter who made the call to the FBI lol.

• Upvote 1

I bet all those men who have been arrested were planning on voting against Blatter too. I'm glad these men have been arrested because it's clearly obvious to us all there's corruption in FIFA and it needd stamping out but the timing is all a little too convenient.

It was probably Blatter who made the call to the FBI lol.

Blatter is apparently worried enough about being arrested that he's not been setting foot on US soil. If the Feds are going after people in other countries too they must have something solid.
  • Upvote 1

Blatter is apparently worried enough about being arrested that he's not been setting foot on US soil. If the Feds are going after people in other countries too they must have something solid.

Maybe that explains why he's giving the World Cup to the countries with the highest level of corruption. It's the only way he can go to them.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, ignoring the bid process itself, Russia is a perfectly sensible place to hold a World Cup. It'll be ok in summer, they play football, they have good teams and thus good stadia.

Politically a nightmare of course but let's ignore that too.

Qatar was not only a terrible choice they literally couldn't host the world cup. They have no stadia, they can't host it when the world cup IS. Rather than back down FIFA decided to push on and make every league move all their shit around.

It's about time someone did something about the corruption in the game, it's completely riddled with it. And fifa have never really bothered to hide it, they've pretty much always said "yes we take bribes, so what?"

The Qatar thing has very much been a tipping point for me. I've been generally disgruntled at what's going on right the way across football for some time, but now I've reached a point where I want nothing to do with it any more.

Money has ruined football. I'm not just talking about clubs like Chelsea and Man City splashing the cash, it's everything that goes along with it all - the fact that Sky have so much influence over the PL, the cost of tickets, the lack of loyalty of players (Gerrard is a dying breed, you won't see another top player who only ever plays for one club), FIFA and the FA not doing anything about big clubs cheating or allowing their fans to misbehave, because it might derail the gravy train... And I believe that match fixing is more widespread than has been revealed, plus I've always believed that a lot of draws for big competitions are rigged to come up with the most exciting ties, with the maximum revenue.

It's not going to make the blindest bit of difference to anyone but myself, but from the end of this season onwards, I am having nothing to do with the professional game. I won't be watching any games on TV, even if Liverpool are in the Channel 5 League, I won't even go the pub to watch it. I won't be going the match - not that I can afford tickets, or am able to get them, even if I could. I won't even watch MOTD or frequent the football sections of news sites.

I still hope Liverpool do well, I just refuse to be another revenue stream for football.

Things must be bad when I think "I'll watch the F1 instead, that's less corrupt"

• Upvote 5

Yeah, ignoring the bid process itself, Russia is a perfectly sensible place to hold a World Cup. It'll be ok in summer, they play football, they have good teams and thus good stadia.

Politically a nightmare of course but let's ignore that too.

Football is nearly as homophobic as Russia, so really it all fits great.

• Upvote 2

Money has ruined football. I'm not just talking about clubs like Chelsea and Man City splashing the cash, it's everything that goes along with it all - the fact that Sky have so much influence over the PL

And don't forget, splashing the cash started when the Premier League broke away and started doing their own TV with Sky. For all their fans "We earned our money", Man Utd were in the right place at the right time to take advantage of that windfall.

Has everyone just blanked that he's not retiring but moving for a nice big payday in a different league?

He's well past his best and is basically moving to a retirement home club to have a kickabout every once in a while while enjoying the sunshine.

Possibly should have gone for "you won't see another Scholes / Giggs / Gary Neville..."

And don't forget, splashing the cash started when the Premier League broke away and started doing their own TV with Sky. For all their fans "We earned our money", Man Utd were in the right place at the right time to take advantage of that windfall.

To be fair, ITV and BBC were shockingly shit and tight with the money back in the day, as well as the Football League being generally an awful organisation. I still remember the TV blackouts, the refusal of the Football League to postpone games for the weekends when England played, the insistence on having eleventy hundred teams in the top division, etc.

As for FIFA, total wankers. Should have known we'd be screwed back when we went for the 2006 FIFA World Cup hosting years ago and got totally trumped in the first round (Germany eventually won). Then the same thing happened for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, even though FIFA themselves said in the interim report we had by far the best bid and could have hosted the World Cup there and then.

Sort of. FIFA contracted Michael J Garcia for a corruption investigation and he submitted his report. FIFA said they will never publish it (something something can't reveal sources or they'll be liable for legal action something something) but instead, to appease everyone, they will release a "summary" report. This summary report was so bullshit, and totally nothing like the original report, that the person who submitted the original report publically called out FIFA on their bullshittiness and washed his hands of the whole thing by resigning.

Has everyone just blanked that he's not retiring but moving for a nice big payday in a different league?

Discussion for another thread really... but he's getting too old for guaranteed regular first team football and is moving to a league where the standard is a LOT lower. I don't think it's anything to do with loyalty - guy just isn't ready to retire.

Would be lols if he came back on loan though. (Obviously he wouldn't).

Not to mention this...

article-0-1D50F10200000578-108_634x679.j

theres an explanation for that in his book, who didn't like other teams when they were a kid anyway? I used to love Blackburn when they had Shearer in the 90s, had team and player posters of them in bedroom, couldn't care less now
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Barring injury players play for longer now. I'm sure Raul will always be seen as Real Madrid man even after he left for Schalke and Xavi will always be a Barcelona man even though he is going to finish his playing days in Qatar.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1