IndyCar

TehStu

On 25/09/2021 at 09:22, SteveH said:

Shame Grosjean is still being a bit gung ho (though the commentators seem to love him) because I reckon in the right car he could do really well. I'm still not sure Jimmie Johnson should even be in a car though. He was abysmal at the start of the year. 

The thing is Indycar isn't like F1.  Someone being in a car doesn't take it from anyone else.

Johnson is there because he's a great in another sport who wants to give it a punt and has someone to pay for it. Without him you wouldn't have seen...ooh... Oliver Askew in that car, that car wouldn't exist.  If someone has the money, eg Juncos, they can step in without another car having to leave.

So I care a fuck of a lot less about "Ride buyers" because they're also "Ride creators".

That said Johnson is a mid-40s rookie. That he's broadly on the back of the field at all is actually pretty impressive. 

IndyCar coverage is terrible, cutting to the roof of a hotel for a segment and not even bothering to show the race during it and now Sky don’t run it ad free anymore which means endless gambling ads during the race.

I really admire Jimmie Johnson for giving it a go, especially as for his rookie year he did the complete opposite of what his strengths would have been (i.e. did not race on any ovals).

Looks to be changing for next year, though - think he's pretty much good-as-confirmed to be doing the Indy 500. Would be an amazing story if he could win it, but as he's found out IndyCars are totally different beasts.

On 27/09/2021 at 13:44, kiroquai said:

I really admire Jimmie Johnson for giving it a go, especially as for his rookie year he did the complete opposite of what his strengths would have been (i.e. did not race on any ovals).

Looks to be changing for next year, though - think he's pretty much good-as-confirmed to be doing the Indy 500. Would be an amazing story if he could win it, but as he's found out IndyCars are totally different beasts.

It is interesting that both the top line drivers who entered saying "No ovals" have both reversed that after spending a year there.