rllmuk
TehStu

IndyCar

I remember watching that race live on Eurosport quite vividly. They even showed a slow-mo replay of it straight after :( They obviously didn't realise the severity of it but you could clearly see him... well, it's not a nice topic to go into detail of. I remember the race so clearly. Franchitti, who was best mates with Moore, had a shot at the title against a rookie Juan Pablo Montoya. The race continued but they lowered the flags to half mast. I also have a weird memory of a reporter asking a really stupid question when the doctor announced they were unable to resuscitate Moore. The reporter just didn't understand what that meant and asked something like "is it serious".

Yeah, another curious choice really given that team hasn't exactly been stellar at the speedway the past few seasons in its previous guise. I was somewhat expecting him to gather enough backers to get him a Carpenter-run car for the month.

Yeah, the last 2 high profile non-qualifiers have been Alonso and an SP car.

Combining the two is brave.

I'm loving how the Indycar series is approaching esports.

A proper 6 round series with virtually all the real drivers and because budget isn't a thing, even some people who otherwise would have a part time schedule such as Scott McLoughlin from Australia meaning that the 2nd round at Barber last night (straight billed as the Honda Grand Prix of Alabama) had 29 starters.  The only guy there who isn't at least an Indycar semi-regular has 7 Nascar championships so he's allowed. Everyone is using cars in their real liveries and racing "for" their real teams.

As an added bonus round 2 features the return of Robert Wickens in a 3rd McLaren 18 months after a Pocono horror shunt.  He's not able to race the real thing just yet but this, he can do after some nice work with hand controls from a team including ex-Indycar and F1 driver Max Papis.

They're treating it broadcastwise like a real race and from round 2 it's live on NBC Sports in the US.  They WILL pick up fans F1 is missing out on with this.  Not least because as they pointed out during round 2, using fixed setups and weather means anyone could get hold of iRacing and compare lap times on equal terms with these guys.

Here's the 2 races so far.

And a spotter's guide from round 2 that mostly applies to round 1.

https://www.indycar.com/-/media/Files/2020/IndyCar/iRacing/R2-ALA/indycar-spotterguide.pdf

• Upvote 1

Playing catch up here, round 3, the first oval race at Michegan is a very good race.  Proper close racing, and, pit lane issues aside, very professional.

Yep what a day for motorsport.

First F1 qualifying, great F2 race and now Indy, with nascar later from what I gather (though no way to watch that)

Things looking interesting with the heat at Indy, though no chance of the rain that allowed such an amazing drive from Pagenaud last year

Double header at Road America this weekend. Qualifying on Sky F1 from 9.15pm with the race from 10pm. Race 2 tomorrow from 5.30pm. 

I was just thinking the same thing! Road America is great track but I’m always amazed how lax the safety features seem to be at US circuits. 

Yeah lots of gravel, tyre and concrete walls, it’s like watching a vintage race!

I thought we were in for a nice  sprint race finish but it looks like they are dedicated to throwing it off and causing safety cars...

Road America has always been a favourite of mine to (virtually) race around. A Shame F1 will never go there.

It’s ace, isn’t it? Kind of glad F1 won’t go there as it’d inevitably mean it’d probably be mutilated to satisfy the FIA.

Will Power going full Grosjean in the opening laps. The crash into the wall could have been nasty, luckily his front left just glanced the end of the wall. 

Just started watching on catchup, Rahal is lucky to have his legs intact after hitting the concrete wall isn’t he? I can’t believe that they don’t at least have tyre barriers against the walls really.

Well that was a great race, great compliment to the F1 and F2 today :)