rllmuk
TehStu

IndyCar

I'm starting the thread we've all been dancing around in the F1 thread.

I missed the Indy 500, busy Memorial weekend, but it sounded good. Here's where I struggle with Indycar (and other American sorts): I don't know who to support. I really can't get into a sport without cheering someone on, and it's not like I can pick the local team. Unless there's a driver from Iowa, I guess. I'm struggling to get into NASCAR for the same reason.

Anyone follow the sport? Who do you guys cheer on?

• Upvote 2

I don't really cheer any driver on over there so much - used to be a big fan of Greg Moore back in the day and after he died I kind of decided not to do the favourite driver thing again.

For a good driver to cheer on, though, I'd recommend Josef Newgarden. Young, loads of talent and a pretty cool guy as well from all accounts. He's rumoured to be one of the options for Haas when they enter F1 next year. Under normal circumstances I'd also recommend James Hinchcliffe for exactly the same set of reasons, but he won't be back in an IndyCar until next season I'd imagine.

I was into this about fifteen years ago, but forgot about it as it was a ballache to find coverage once Sky took over.

Been getting into it again lately, mainly because I need my racing fix - and F1 is becoming so dull to watch, it's embarassing.

I'm starting the thread we've all been dancing around in the F1 thread.

I missed the Indy 500, busy Memorial weekend, but it sounded good. Here's where I struggle with Indycar (and other American sorts): I don't know who to support. I really can't get into a sport without cheering someone on, and it's not like I can pick the local team. Unless there's a driver from Iowa, I guess. I'm struggling to get into NASCAR for the same reason.

Anyone follow the sport? Who do you guys cheer on?

CFH racing in general but mostly Newgarden.

For 2 reasons.

Josef owns.

Sarah Fisher super owns.

I always support the guy with the super hick name so maybe Buddy Lazer. I'm also a fan of AJ ALLEMDINGER but that's NASCAR.

Sadly you won't see Buddy again until next May, if then.

I actually watched the 500 live for the first time ever (I think) last weekend, and while it has its frustrations (so many ad breaks) it ended up being a thrilling race at the end.

Personally, I'm a Montoya fan - great driver, now in the later stages of his career, and it's good to see him back in Open-wheel after a long time in NASCAR where he wasn't really suited, and before that a patchy time in F1.

Before that, Franchitti, because he's british, and seems like a genuinely nice bloke. It's a big shame we don't see him on track any more.

I'd vote for Montoya as well, I think hes a driver that will work the balls off the car to get a result. Even if its a dog he'll try and make something of it.

Unfortunately actually watching indy car for me is a case of hunting through dodgy sites till i find a stream that works and doesn't fill my hard drive with malware and spam. I'm not subscribing to BT sport just for the odd indy car race.

I actually watched the 500 live for the first time ever (I think) last weekend, and while it has its frustrations (so many ad breaks) it ended up being a thrilling race at the end.

Personally, I'm a Montoya fan - great driver, now in the later stages of his career, and it's good to see him back in Open-wheel after a long time in NASCAR where he wasn't really suited, and before that a patchy time in F1.

Before that, Franchitti, because he's british, and seems like a genuinely nice bloke. It's a big shame we don't see him on track any more.

Montoyas back where he should be, it suits him. Hopefully he'll build an Emmo like career out of it now.

It's the Indy Dual in Detroit at the Belle Isle Park Raceway this weekend. There's a race on both Saturday and Sunday at 8.30pm, both races are live on BT Sport on the ESPN channel.

It's amazing this... 6 yellows in 27 laps. Its hard to enjoy anything this fractured.Yes it's wet/drying but Christ these guys just don't seem to have quite the accuracy of most F1 drivers. Maybe it's more the street tracks with no run offs but then they're also just being idiots at times.

I think from now on I'll record Indycar races and watch on fast forward for probably 50% or so.

Yeah - I'd say the one major negative the series has right now is that when the cars bunch up after a yellow some drivers start acting a bit... averagely.

Trust me, it's lucky you didn't try and watch the New Orleans race. I think they went yellow after about 20 laps and then every single time they tried to go green afterwards someone would spin or crash. I think they managed about 3 laps of green in the remaining hour of the race :facepalm:

On another note, I actually quite like all the Penske drivers - I think I prefer Will Power to Monty, mainly as the guy is often hilarious. A couple of years ago he basically got screwed by the stewards deciding to restart a race on an oval whilst it was raining whilst he was leading, which caused him to almost inevitably crash. On the way back to his pit box on foot he noticed he was on TV and hence the stewards would be watching...

That New Orleans race was amazing, I've never seen to many crashes it was like none of them had ever raced in the wet before. I can't believe how bumpy this track is, I've never seen cars jump around so much on a race track.

The yellows that annoy me most are the ones for small pieces of debris (the same happens in F1). I understand the risks so I think marshals should be equipped with extremely high pressure air blowers/hoses to blast the pieces to the side of the track and thus out of harms way.

It's also clear how much the constant cautions change the race behaviour. It leads to the stupidity of everyone running on wet tyres before they think it will rain going slowly hoping for track position from pitting under one of the many cautions even if your just going to cruise around after that.

Oh and finally, being a TV sports commentator in the US is comparatively easy. "Ah, we've said more than 10 scentences, better take an add break".

I guess one of the problems is there isn't really a side of the track, solid barrier all the way around and no gaps for marshals to quickly go and remove the debris.

How can you not enjoy Chip Ganassi lecturing others on their young drivers when the worst of them all is his driver who 5 minutes later tried to put Sato in the wall 3 times?