rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

What do people consider the must play GB/GBC games then? I own a lot of the classics (Marios, Warios, Nemesis, Batman, FInal Fantasy Legend etc) but there's such a huge catalogue. What's the best of the best?

Link's Awakening, and the DX version for GBC with an extra dungeon.

I always had a thing for Adventure Island on the Game Boy. It may well have been rubbish, but 25 years ago it was in my opinion great

Dragon Warrior III is about as good a Game Boy RPG as you'll get

Dragon Warrior Monsters was great too. I never played the sequel.

My new toys arrived. Review time.

First my GB Boy Colour. £32.99 from ebat

So it's a clone of the GBC. Mine is a kind of clear purple. It takes 2 AA batteries and seems very solid. Feels weighty in the hand in a similar way to the original mono model. The pad feels ok and the two buttons actually feel very solid. Certainly better than I was led to expect. It seems to happily play anything I throw at it (Even my 64meg copy cart that still has a copy of Jet Set Willy on it). If I didn't already know the aspect ratio of the screen was a bit of I'd probably not have noticed. Speaker quality is decent but not hugely loud. The screen is lovely. Razor sharp and bright. Exactly what you'd expect from a modern LCD. taken as a whole this is a bargain for someone wanting a cheap way to play GB/GBC games at top screen quality.

Now the K101 Plus.

Crystal Black with a beautiful display. This is the GBA clone. Rechargable and replaceable clone of a Nokia battery. Four face buttons (Two double up for autofire). A brightness select on the top that doubles as a special button to access built in features.

Now the aspect ratio on this is definitely an issue. They apparently couldn't get the correct rez lcd display so it suffers a bit. It's not an issue for me. It still looks fine but if that sort of thing bothers you I'd try to find an original GBA or SP with a better display. Build quality is fine but it feels a little lightweight after trying the GB Boy colour. While you're playing a cart game you can hold down the brightness button and press down to switch between the display modes. Original (Which has full black borders and is about the same size as a GB micro display. Some sort of halfway widescreen mode and full screen. I just shove it in full screen and forget about it. It's happily played everything I've thrown at it so far.

Now for the better part. It comes with its own copy cart. It takes microsd cards. Has built in emu support for GB/GBC/NES and a couple of others (Using custom GBA emulators). GBA games don't need patching and can be zipped. When playing something loaded from the cart pressing brightness and L brings up the built in menu. You can access cheats, guides, configure autofire and even switch back to the file list and switch games without rebooting. Even with full size 32meg roms like Mother 3. It's a joy and a really nice addition. Goomba emulation for gameboy stuff is as good as it ever is and I tried a couple of NES games with mixed results. I wouldn't get it if you want emulators to be honest. Treat is as a GBA.

Overall? I'm very, very happy. I also bought a custom Mother 3 cart with translation so that's me sorted for a while. GBA clone with a stunning display and it's own copy cart for £55 quid from ebay. Shipped from the UK on Monday. Arrived today (Same as the GB Boy).

The pair of them aren't going to make purists happy but for a jobber like me who just wants to play some old games they're perfect. Now I just have to save up for a GPD XD :)

aiAXn6f.jpg

• Upvote 4

Spent a couple of hours playing the few games I had last night. Alleyway was my game of choice as a kid, that and Tetris always ended up on trips and although it seems a bit slow today it still holds up a bit well. Feels like it needs extras like weapons to make it more interesting.

Duck Tales is a fantastic conversion of the NES game, follows the same level designs and they replicate the look of it perfectly, unless you look really close you'd be hard pressed to find a difference. More importantly the Moon base level has that tune.

Wario Blast is way more fun than I remember! Classic Bomberman action and even after the short spurts last night I still wanted to go back for more.

Really pressed with the audio through headphones too, it does sound a lot better than an ordinary GB, the seller did state it would be reduced volume as that's how the mod works but you'd be crazy to stick it on full anyway as it's just too loud.

Deliveries! First up is Darkwing Duck which is virtually the NES version. I'm impressed by just how much they managed to pack into the cartridge. To think the GB is so hard to program for there's not even a decent homebrew scene but to get the likes of DD looking so good is incredible.

Next up was Marble Madness which looks okay but not too impressive was only £3 along with Nintendo World Cup. That's a bit poor and way too chunky for my liking.

Lets get some good recommendations going! I'm itching to go for some good games.

I love playing old handhelds in public. Sometimes kids come over to see what it is, and then go away with a snigger once they see how old it is. Especially if it's a huge machine , like the Lynx or GT.

Seems like a lifetime since I last posted some GB goodness here!  Pretty busy over the weekend and picked up these £10 for all 3:

12_zpshjh93z34.jpg

Probotector is much easier than the NES version and holds up fairly well, can actually get pretty far and it's challenging enough to keep me coming back. Tetris Blast.... is an odd take basically mixes bombs in with the main game, can be a bit of a panic when you get close to filling the table then set off an explosion that destroys virtually everything on screen. Not even sure if I enjoy it.  Mario Land is..well Mario Land it's a classic and still a lot of fun.

Went to a retro shop at the weekend! Been amazed at just how many copies of GameBoy Gallery 5 games in 1 there is out there. Went to 4 different retro shops this morning and one had at least 6 copies, another 5, 3 and 4! No surprise as it's not very good but seems more common than Tetris.

I picked up this little lot:

index_zpsxq3kbuve.jpg

I thought they were priced reasonably, Zelda is a funny one as it jumps around £15-£23 on eBay so add on Postage as well from there and soon adds up. The cart is fairly dark with brown spots on and I've not been able to clean them off with anything, looks more like it's the actual plastic rather than a stain though.

Metroid 2 seemed a good deal too. Luckily the price stickers are light and easily pulled off, they don't tear the label beneath!

I've been spending a crazy amount on time on Zelda I completed it umpteen times as a kid and even searched the entire map with the shovel for shells. I'm already 4 dungeons in mainly from playing at lunch in work! I must look crazy with a big red n yellow Gameboy on show but every minute counts.

Golf is a lot more addictive than I remember, maybe its just because I'm getting old. Soccer is terrible so straight in the collectors bag, Metroid 2 is okay but after a couple of hours play I'm just not enjoying it. Mario 2 is a classic for a very good reason, amazing game and almost on par to Super Mario World.

I've been working my way through GameBoy World and it's 50 or so gaming vids each day even thinking of picking up the book that's been produced. It's £18 (in full colour) but still umming and aahing. Anyone got a copy?

• Upvote 1

So I was toying with what next system purchase should be and I decided on a Gameboy Advance Micro. 

I still have my launch GBA, which eventually was upgraded to an SP (but that was stolen in Mexico). Digging through my collection of games, I though " I should really get a GBA that I can actually play. So I picked up a GBA Micro.

So it arrives and all the photos and videos don't prepare you for the shock of how small it is. It really is tiny. And the shock of it being pink. Because I wasn't going to pay £100 for a silver one when you could get an excellent condition pink one for less than half that. I'm sure my son will think it's hilarious.

What it made me think was... I hope Nintendo go back to some of the ethos of the Gameboy with the NX. It looks highly likely that the NX will be a hybrid handheld and home console system. But I'd love to see Nintendo going back to things like easier to carry with you(smaller form factor) and long battery life. The DS handhelds began to lose that ethos (I guess because it was a third pillar). They've got bigger, battery life has never been as great, they tend to rely on gimmicks (touch screen, 3D, dual screen). 

Playing the GBA again really makes you appreciate the style of games you got then, and I suppose it was the last of the consoles that gave you the 2D experience. Yeah, you get retro styled platformers now, but it's not the same!

You also realise just how much choice you had and how many games were being produced by the big publishers. I suppose mobile has taken a bit of this, but it's sad knowing that a lot of these developers are now just doing crap like multiplayer campaigns for home consoles, instead of making dedicated games.

• Upvote 1

On 11/02/2016 at 9:04 AM, Lorfarius said:

Mario 2 is a classic for a very good reason, amazing game and almost on par to Super Mario World.

I have a playthrough of SML2 on my YT channel - it's a great game but you can complete it pretty quickly once you know what you're doing. Even without game-breaking speedrun hax, anyone familiar with the game can go from the start to the end credits within an hour...

19 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

You could do the same with SMW as well, but that's the great thing about games like this so much to explore and enjoy beyond going straight for the end!

Me and a friend of mine at uni had SMW races. I'd beat him, completing it in under 11 minutes, and I later realised he had the NTSC version!

• Upvote 1

As posted in the car boot thread, I found this in my folks' house

PMqyp23.jpg

There's just something lovely about holding its weighty chunkiness. I never really played much on it as a kid, but I might start now. I'll be trawling this thread for recommendations....

I've started playing my old GBA games, some I've not played in about 10 years, and some hold up really well.

Castlevania Circle of the Moon is one that's really outstanding. At the time I remember it being pretty difficult to play, as the graphics were so dark and the original GBA didn't make things easier. But playing on the Micro- wow!

The gameplay is really focused and it's nice and refreshing to play a game with a map that's feels beatable. I'm an hour into it I'm at 20% - but that's a good thing! 

I really any wait to play Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, as well as the other Castlevania games. I suppose one of the problems was owning an EZ Flash cart at the time, I never gave the games enough attention. Now going back to the GBA there are a few game styles that you don't really get these days, which makes it a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this thread is losing interest but I don't care! Few more games today:

20160217_123537_resized_zpsigkxukbd.jpg

Picked up Cyriad and Qix after watching a couple of GameBoy World videos. Qix is a straight forward line puzzler converted from an ancient arcade cab, functional and worth wasting a few minutes on. Cyriad is a platform style puzzler which is actually pretty addictive, run around single screen maps kicking ladders and boxes at enemies to climb and hunt down objects. Was only a few quid so well worth it. Donkey Kong has a well known twist starts off like the standard arcade but all doesnt go to plan. The game is huge and has a well needed save feature, fairly early title too and was suprised just how good it looks.

• Upvote 3

I've had that on my ebay watch list for at least a week. I'm still in two minds about going for a complete set so eventually I'll probably have to get it. Failing that there's always an Everdrive!