rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

You never played Race Driver - GRID? Forget the funny name - it's really a great racer for the DS.

Actually bought it since I made that post. It's quite good.

Where's the best place to get something to play GBA games?

Either a GBA SP with a new bright screen or original GBA with bright screen? My Micro's too small now for my eyesight.

Thanks.

Typing "AGS-101" into eBay is pretty much your only option. You might get lucky and pick one up in a forum trading folder or a FB group but the AGS modded originals are rare as hens teeth now. There were a few around three or four years ago but the supply of screens disappeared.

Have a look on eBay US for the Spongebob squarepants GBA SP. It's an AGS 101 model released late in the GBA lifecycle. It's by far the cheapest version of the AGS 101, although you probably will want to invest in new casing.

I've got one you can have for postage if you want it. Although it's one of the ones which doesn't have the built in games and it does have the incredibly common dodgy speaker (cuts in and out sometimes) fault with those things. Easy fix apparently but I always used headphones so never bothered.

It's slightly stretched, the sound plays a little fast and isn't 100% accurate, the d-pad is stiff and not as accurate (mine, for example registers left a little when you push up, if you're not careful) and speaker faults are quite common, but that screen makes everything fine.

I made a revelatory discovery this morning. The Ever Drive GB works fine on my GBA. For some reason I'd convinced myself they didn't work (I know they don't work with GBA ROMs, obviously) and so never even tried it! That renders both my GB Boy and modded original GB redundant as I can play accurate games on original Nintendo hardware with a back light! Yay!

I bought one for LSDJ but as has been said the sound emulation is total cobblers and headphone output is very noisy. Mine doesn't have the built-in games, but I bought one that did for someone's Christmas present and, wonky aspect ratio aside, it was a nice, cheap little throwaway item.. Ideal for small children.

I think the aim is to make a device with higher compatibility, that doesn't require patching ROMs and so on.

You don't have to patch ROMs from what I remember. Just stick them in folders and bobs yer uncle. The menu was always easy to get through and it just worked. I played hundreds of games and not once did I find any compatability issues I even hacked Mother 3 with a translation to play through. One point I was even running NES ROMs on it. Happy times.

You don't have to patch ROMs from what I remember. Just stick them in folders and bobs yer uncle. The menu was always easy to get through and it just worked. I played hundreds of games and not once did I find any compatability issues I even hacked Mother 3 with a translation to play through. One point I was even running NES ROMs on it. Happy times.

I found that some ROMs can save fine but only if you make sure not to launch anything else in the meanwhile. Seems like ROMs can need a specific kind of patching (maybe related to the devices firmware) if you want save functionality across multiple games at once.

I don't think I've played on any other system (PS1, maybe?) where the gulf between the number of great games available and utter shit is quite so vast as with the original Game Boy. I've been working through a huge stack of games in alphabetical order, and last night I went from playing the woeful conversion of Total Carnage, to the incredibly beautiful Trip World. Such a stark difference between an awful, hastily cobbled together cash grab trading on a name, and an absolutely gorgeous looking and sounding, lovingly crafted platformer which clearly pushes the hardware and was made by a team which so obviously cared about it.

post-10858-0-19498500-1454144747_thumb.j

post-10858-0-57923700-1454144818_thumb.j

• Upvote 3

I just ordered one of those GB Boys from ebay. Also a Revo K101 Plus to play my GBA games on. I have a green GBA Micro that is basically my Bubble Bobble box but the screen is getting a little small for my old eyes.