Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

On 17/07/2021 at 18:21, MikeBeaver said:

As usual, I’ve picked up some stuff and there are bootleg gb/gba games in amongst them, anyone want them for postage?

8BE4661E-33EF-48A2-B843-9565C096302E.jpeg

Yes please, if they’re still available? :) 

• 1 month later...
On 31/08/2021 at 13:43, Darhkwing said:

Started playing Metroid Fusion, made some decent progress but there was one area that I could stuck for like an hour. 

Seems like a decent game although a little more linear than Zero Mission.

It's my least favourite of the 2D Metroids by a long chalk. Endless bloody text and explicit orders, artificial blockages which are removed just by plot device ("I've unlocked the doors to area B") instead of through discovery and new items, and some second-grade enemy design that reminds me of old PC shareware games like Halloween Harry or Biomenace.

The fundamental idea of making you Metroidy and experiencing what it must have been like to be hunted by yourself is a good one, but they really ballsed up the execution IMO. I've still played it through twice, because Metroid, but I hope they've learnt their lessons for Dread.

Fusion was my second Metroid, after Metroid II, so I have rather fond memories of it. I don't know that they were trying to lead people gently in to the series but it really sold me on the whole thing.

21 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

It's my least favourite of the 2D Metroids by a long chalk. Endless bloody text and explicit orders, artificial blockages which are removed just by plot device ("I've unlocked the doors to area B") instead of through discovery and new items, and some second-grade enemy design that reminds me of old PC shareware games like Halloween Harry or Biomenace.

The fundamental idea of making you Metroidy and experiencing what it must have been like to be hunted by yourself is a good one, but they really ballsed up the execution IMO. I've still played it through twice, because Metroid, but I hope they've learnt their lessons for Dread.

I'm enjoying it, but i do agree that it's somewhat different to the others. Kinda reminds me of Metroid 2 (or AM2R at least) with smaller areas to focus one and a bit more linearity to it. There is a lot of text but then again it's not a bad thing to have a story, although it certainly has a different feel to Zero Mission and Super Metroid.

20 hours ago, nakamura said:

I love Fusion!! Yes it's less Metroid like but so atmospheric and just nice to have a slightly different take on it. 

I really like the horror like atmosphere to it all. The bright colours however kinda detract from that somewhat.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

I really like the horror like atmosphere to it all. The bright colours however kinda detract from that somewhat.

They did make it possible to see on the original GBA screen though. Moody palette games like Castlevania: CotM look great when you play them now on modern devices, but were hell on that original screen.

That might have contributed to the slightly EGA aesthetic of some of the enemies, though. 

3 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I'm enjoying it, but i do agree that it's somewhat different to the others. Kinda reminds me of Metroid 2 (or AM2R at least) with smaller areas to focus one and a bit more linearity to it. There is a lot of text but then again it's not a bad thing to have a story, although it certainly has a different feel to Zero Mission and Super Metroid.

Yeah that is almost certainly down to the hardware at the time. Castlevania was so hard to see. 

Metroid Fusion is so tough! Nightmare took me ages to defeat. 

The thing i'm finding with Fusion is save points are very far back from boss positions. It get's very tedious getting back to the fights (thankfully i can use save states but i really didn't want to)

On 02/09/2021 at 08:25, bplus said:

Can anyone recommend an ips screen from Ali Baba for a Gameboy color?

If you are prepared to do some shell modification the a Q5 is great. You can normally get them with a precut replacement shell

So I thought it was about time I got some of those plastic protectors for my GBA and GB Color games. That cardboard isn't going to last forever. I ordered some off ebay and all went well for sticking GBA boxes in.  Then I put a Zelda Oracle of Ages GBC box in one. That was fine also.  Then I tried to put a Perfect Dark GBC box in. It's of course too thick. Anyone use GBC box protectors that can recommend one?  I just need one for now and don't fancy ordering them on a hope and a prayer as it seems GBC boxes aren't always the same size!

12 hours ago, erhgiez said:

If you are prepared to do some shell modification the a Q5 is great. You can normally get them with a precut replacement shell

Thanks for this, do the replacement shells "feel" the same as original? Or cheap and nasty?

Edit:Can't seem to find anyrhing q5 related on Ali express

5 hours ago, bplus said:

Thanks for this, do the replacement shells "feel" the same as original? Or cheap and nasty?

You can buy a larger IPS screen and suitable case from Funny Playing directly

https://funnyplaying.com/collections/product/products/gbc-retro-pixel-ips-lcd-kit-1?variant=39377989075005

The clear orange shell I have is pretty good. Each half doesn't flex much when twisted. I used the existing IR cover and controls from my old GBC, and they seemed to work well. Use the supplied sticker on the back of the screen to avoid shorting something out, as I did. Need to get some replacement diodes.

makho and Macho Nacho, and others, have product overview and installation videos on YouTube.

4 minutes ago, Norfolk Enchants said:

You can buy a larger IPS screen and suitable case from Funny Playing directly

https://funnyplaying.com/collections/product/products/gbc-retro-pixel-ips-lcd-kit-1?variant=39377989075005

The clear orange shell I have is pretty good. Each half doesn't flex much when twisted. I used the existing IR cover and controls from my old GBC, and they seemed to work well. Use the supplied sticker on the back of the screen to avoid shorting something out, as I did. Need to get some replacement diodes.

makho and Macho Nacho, and others, have product overview and installation videos on YouTube.

Thanks for this, think I need to order a replacement shell separately?

32 minutes ago, bplus said:

Thanks for this, think I need to order a replacement shell separately?

Yes, it is a separate item. Should be linked from the page I referenced. Anyway, they are found here.

Edited to add, there is a wire to solder to power the screen, plus some other wires for brightness controls etc. A bit fiddly but not too fiddly if you have some soldering experience. 

Edited by Norfolk Enchants

1 hour ago, Norfolk Enchants said:

Yes, it is a separate item. Should be linked from the page I referenced. Anyway, they are found here.

Edited to add, there is a wire to solder to power the screen, plus some other wires for brightness controls etc. A bit fiddly but not too fiddly if you have some soldering experience. 

Thanks!

Though I think I saw some no solder ones. Maybe they don't do brightness controls though.

14 hours ago, bplus said:

Sorry, it’s this one

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001836773840.html

it’s sometimes referred to as the Q5 as it’s the screen out of a BlackBerry Q5

The shells are pretty good, not quite as good as the originals. The aftermarket buttons are a step down in quality though. Try and use official ones if possible.

12 hours ago, erhgiez said:

Sorry, it’s this one

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001836773840.html

it’s sometimes referred to as the Q5 as it’s the screen out of a BlackBerry Q5

The shells are pretty good, not quite as good as the originals. The aftermarket buttons are a step down in quality though. Try and use official ones if possible.

Brilliant, from the sounds of things it looks like no solder required unless plugging in advanced screen controls? Also does it require a shell to ordered separately?

Thanks for the link btw.

35 minutes ago, bplus said:

Brilliant, from the sounds of things it looks like no solder required unless plugging in advanced screen controls? Also does it require a shell to ordered separately?

Thanks for the link btw.

There should be options to buy the screen on its own or with a pre cut shell. You can modify an original shell with a craft knife but it can be fiddly and it’s difficult to get straight lines 

1 hour ago, erhgiez said:

There should be options to buy the screen on its own or with a pre cut shell. You can modify an original shell with a craft knife but it can be fiddly and it’s difficult to get straight lines 

Thanks, ordered with shell no way I'm capable of cutting a case properly!

Metroid Fusion was tough! Some of those bosses took a while. Game itself ranks at the bottom of the metroid games for me, but i still enjoyed it. Just some really annoying long walks back to boss fights though as save points are quite a distance back. Thank god for save states.