Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

Oh fuck, I vaguely recall having a sex suit for my Game Boy. If I remember right, it came in an accessory pack with one of them magnifying lenses and all the other tat that you couldn't actually attach to the Game Boy if you dressed it up. It also made the Game Boy unwieldy (even more so), so straight in the bin with that fucking thing.

I can only think that whoever designed it did so for a bet - all it's missing is a couple of nipple tassles :facepalm:

35 minutes ago, erhgiez said:

Super Mario Land

I played this when I was younger at a friend’s house but never played it for long. This is the first time I’ve sat down and completed it and it’s such a great little game. It is fairly short at 12 levels and can be completed in 30 minutes which makes it perfect for short blasts. This is not a typical Mario game with shooting sections and a historical tour of the world through Easter Island, Ancient Egypt and China but it controls well and is responsive. The levels are well designed, varied, and ramp up in difficulty nicely. It is generous with giving you extra lives with the end of each non boss level (so 8 in total) giving you a chance at a second exit and a random chance at receiving either 1/2/3 extra lives or a fire flower (I assume it was random as couldn’t follow it fast enough). As with all Mario games, the best thing about this is the controls, they are so razor sharp and Mario has a real weight to him, dropping (very) quickly when running off a ledge. This led to my untimely demise often. The bosses are somewhat very easy, often just require jumping over to reach the exit, but the final boss is a bullet hell shooter! I found the challenge in later levels with the platforming with a lot of different things to keep track of, often deviously placed.

Overall, really pleased I gave this some time. It really is a stone cold classic.

9/10

Super Mario Land 05.png

Love this game, will always have memories of playing it in the hospital, whilst my Grandad had nipped in for a quick heart attack!

Trying to find somewhere I could see, sending Mum off to the shop for more batteries, oh, and he made it out after a short stay, so that was good, this must have been '89 or '90, my old man had sent me the GB over from the states for my Birthday, then Mario at Christmas, so probably 1990, as no one else even knew what a Gameboy was at the time, think I'm going to fire it up in a minute, see how far I can get on one life ;)

I’ve always wondered why Nintendo never gave SML and its sequel the Super Mario Advance treatment at some point... Perhaps the games are too ‘off brand’ in their backdrops and character designs for current day Nintendo?

On 21/05/2021 at 15:26, Protocol Penguin said:

I’ve always wondered why Nintendo never gave SML and its sequel the Super Mario Advance treatment at some point... Perhaps the games are too ‘off brand’ in their backdrops and character designs for current day Nintendo?

The first Mario Land is definitely off brand with its features, look, structure, everything.. but I suspect one reason why it remains un-remade (officially at least) might be because of how closely it's associated with legendary designer Gunpei Yokoi (who passed away before the GBA was a thing). I don't know, I can just imagine that particular game being off limits somehow until maybe there's more of a change in management in the future.

Just a theory.

The music on Super Mario Land is THE Mario music for me, as a Sega kid this was the only Nintendo game (along with Tetris) I regularly played when I'd borrow my neighbours Game Boy and he took my Game Gear for a little while. I don't think I ever actually finished it but what a game.

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Well it looks like it’s a color game but also B&W compatible. Shouldn’t be too long a list. 

I’ve been through the list but still found nothing! 

6 hours ago, Haribokart said:

The music on Super Mario Land is THE Mario music for me, as a Sega kid this was the only Nintendo game (along with Tetris) I regularly played when I'd borrow my neighbours Game Boy and he took my Game Gear for a little while. I don't think I ever actually finished it but what a game.

Ambassadors Of Funk ft MC Mario - Supermarioland 

Cheesy but still really catchy. 

29 minutes ago, Vimster said:

The  7" vinyl is in the glass window of the office ;)

Been playing Wario Land 4 this week.

That first level is a masterpiece of a tutorial.

Called the Hall of Hieroglyphics, the etched diagrams on the background show you how to perform various moves (e.g throwing a rock or sliding down a slope) that you need to conquer the current room. A brilliant idea - and then you realise there are still some hidden bits you need to come back and access later). Classic Nintendo design in operation.

On 30/05/2021 at 03:51, merman said:

Been playing Wario Land 4 this week.

That first level is a masterpiece of a tutorial.

Called the Hall of Hieroglyphics, the etched diagrams on the background show you how to perform various moves (e.g throwing a rock or sliding down a slope) that you need to conquer the current room. A brilliant idea - and then you realise there are still some hidden bits you need to come back and access later). Classic Nintendo design in operation.

Is that the GBA Wario?

6 hours ago, Death Adder said:

Is that the GBA Wario?

Yep. Great cartoon intro too. With Wario Ware Inc and Wario Ware Twisted, he had a great time on the Advance.

I’ve actually been playing that for the first time over the last few days on the mister I just built. You’re right, the tutorial is fantastic, and the feel of the game is wonderful. 

First Wario Land I’ve ever played. Really like it. 

Rest of the time has been spent playing Advance Wars for the first time in probably 15 years. It’s so good. 

13 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Rest of the time has been spent playing Advance Wars for the first time in probably 15 years. It’s so good. 

Be sure to check out the localisation of the SFC version while you're at it.

11 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Be sure to check out the localisation of the SFC version while you're at it.

Good tip.  I had a quick look during the weekend, when I get a little time I'll try and see if I can apply the patch, never done that before.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Good tip.  I had a quick look during the weekend, when I get a little time I'll try and see if I can apply the patch, never done that before.

I can easily share the ROM with you, but yeah, always better to know how to patch yourself. It's dead simple.

On 25/05/2021 at 14:09, Vimster said:

Christ what year is that? I got my brother to get it for me in town as I was too young to go on my own

On 24/05/2021 at 22:41, erhgiez said:

Can anyone identify the game behind the gameboy camera? Won a random auction but don’t recognise this one.

E387DE25-6CAF-4E5A-8BDF-44FF18CF3A2E.jpeg

Mystery solved, no exotic rarity, it was Babe and Friends!

39 minutes ago, bplus said:

Christ what year is that? I got my brother to get it for me in town as I was too young to go on my own

It got to number 8 in the UK charts in October 1992.

• 1 month later...