rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

On 24/04/2019 at 01:50, DeDeDe said:

It was my second console as well. I have a lot of fond memories of the Game Boy, but like many other people looking back, it does feel like I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I was thinking about it yesterday, and what I've come up with is that the novelty and the small sense of the future that playing Tetris on the go faded somewhat quickly, and by 1992 or so it was not quite forgotten, but very overlooked. It had some nice, solid games, but everything around it was much more exciting and shiny. I suppose even Nintendo was not complaining so much, given the fact that every unit sold probably had a very healthy profit margin for them.

I'd like to know why you carried round a copy of Link's Awkakening in your Nike rucksack, to school every day but couldn't be bothered to complete it past dungeon 2. By you,  I mean every GameBoy owner your age. I'm just wondering why this sort of ritual occured, because it solves the mystery of why GameBoy even exists.

Is it by any chance, related to the following Saturday Morning BBC trope?

I keep seeing adverts for a company called "Retrosix" in RG magazine, so I checked them out. Oof -- too expensive for me! They clean and restore the guts of GB, Pocket, Color, Advance, and put them in new aftermarket shells. That's £59.99. Then for GBA you can get them to put in the backlit screen from the SP 101... that's another £50.

I'd almost go for that as a treat to myself, even though it's too much. But then when I looked closer at their product photography, I noticed little things about their aftermarket shells and buttons that I didn't like. None of them are exactly like the stock colours, but I'd still hope for accuracy.

This one here happens to be Super Famicom-styled, but they all have the same problems. The Nintendo logo at the top is slightly incorrect (possibly to avoid trademark infringement?), and the Start, Select and Power labels use the wrong font. It's just enough inaccuracy to make it not feel like a real GBA. But there's a "once you see it, you can't unsee it" thing too... did you spot it? The A on the A button is centered, but the B on the B button isn't. Real GBAs have the A and B southwest of centre, but here they are mismatched, like googly eyes. I can't unsee it.

What a shame. I really wish that they used original shells in the best condition possible, or at least had more accurate new shells. It's no sale for me, I'm afraid.

GBA-Screen-Backlit.thumb.jpg.56a7c57521d718f52132bb12b08e6dbb.jpg

• Upvote 2