rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

On 24/04/2019 at 01:50, DeDeDe said:

It was my second console as well. I have a lot of fond memories of the Game Boy, but like many other people looking back, it does feel like I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I was thinking about it yesterday, and what I've come up with is that the novelty and the small sense of the future that playing Tetris on the go faded somewhat quickly, and by 1992 or so it was not quite forgotten, but very overlooked. It had some nice, solid games, but everything around it was much more exciting and shiny. I suppose even Nintendo was not complaining so much, given the fact that every unit sold probably had a very healthy profit margin for them.

I'd like to know why you carried round a copy of Link's Awkakening in your Nike rucksack, to school every day but couldn't be bothered to complete it past dungeon 2. By you,  I mean every GameBoy owner your age. I'm just wondering why this sort of ritual occured, because it solves the mystery of why GameBoy even exists.

Is it by any chance, related to the following Saturday Morning BBC trope?

I keep seeing adverts for a company called "Retrosix" in RG magazine, so I checked them out. Oof -- too expensive for me! They clean and restore the guts of GB, Pocket, Color, Advance, and put them in new aftermarket shells. That's £59.99. Then for GBA you can get them to put in the backlit screen from the SP 101... that's another £50.

I'd almost go for that as a treat to myself, even though it's too much. But then when I looked closer at their product photography, I noticed little things about their aftermarket shells and buttons that I didn't like. None of them are exactly like the stock colours, but I'd still hope for accuracy.

This one here happens to be Super Famicom-styled, but they all have the same problems. The Nintendo logo at the top is slightly incorrect (possibly to avoid trademark infringement?), and the Start, Select and Power labels use the wrong font. It's just enough inaccuracy to make it not feel like a real GBA. But there's a "once you see it, you can't unsee it" thing too... did you spot it? The A on the A button is centered, but the B on the B button isn't. Real GBAs have the A and B southwest of centre, but here they are mismatched, like googly eyes. I can't unsee it.

What a shame. I really wish that they used original shells in the best condition possible, or at least had more accurate new shells. It's no sale for me, I'm afraid.

GBA-Screen-Backlit.thumb.jpg.56a7c57521d718f52132bb12b08e6dbb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Well this looks excellent. Anyone played it? I'll be giving it a bash when I get 5 minutes to myself.

• Upvote 1

I had a couple of old original Gameboys knocking about so I got them all spruced up mainly for making music with. These have a bivert mod to improve screen contrast and pre-pot audio out for better sound output. I'm really happy with them although this did cost me a packet. I did look at doing them myself but that would only have ended in tears and dead GBs.

70597513_10157699103019319_6256832396021202944_n.jpg

• Upvote 7

Hell yeah!!

Hell yeah!!!

I just found what probably is the rarest gaming item I own, which I had presumed to be lost for many years:

v3Nz2L4.jpg

It is a one of a kind GBC custom designed by NYC graffiti artists Futura 2000 and Stash ( @Dave White prolly knows them ;) ), which I won during a 1999 fund raiser. Unfortunately this is just one part of two GBCs that had to be put next to each other in order to view the whole work. But being a student at the time, I could only afford one piece. If the owner of the other half reads this, feel free to contact me :p

• Upvote 7

Hey @Keyboard Koala what a great thing to own. I do know them and I’d look after that. Both are legends but Futura’s career has just gone stratosphere high this year alone. Painting Colabs with Takashi Murakami, clothing Colabs with Virgil Ablohs off white. And runway stuff with Louis Vuitton. Nicest guys in the biz and that will be worth a pretty penny.  That’s Stash signature outline looks like a bit of Lennys on the top left. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dave White said:

Nicest guys in the biz and that will be worth a pretty penny. 

Yeah, as you correctly identified, the part that I own is mainly Stash' work. Only the upper left part of the console is Futura's design - well spotted. Like I said, it was part of a two-part GBC oeuvre, the other part being mainly Futura and a little bit of Stash. They both signed the box it came in though. Would love to know if the other part still exists tbh. Oh, and back in 1999 it cost me the princely sum of £50 (about the RRP of a GBC at the time). I still believe I won by accident.

Fact fans: EDGE also took part in the same fund raiser and got a GBC designed by an artist who I can't remember. The GBC in question was brown with eyes protruding from the sides. I wonder if they still have it @Nate Dogg III  ?

3 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Long before my time and I’ve certainly never seen it. 

Ah, I always assumed EDGE to have some sort of vault where they kept the rare gaming stuff.

I do remember the GBC they got being sold as the most expensive piece in the auction (a few hundred quid iirc) and it was truly impressive as the whole outer shell had been completely modified. It was even mentioned in an issue at the time. I'll see if I can find it.

Picked up a bundle of cheap GB games the other day, had a pile of manuals inside including this:

shantae.jpg

This is for the rarest GBC game there is and I'm 100% sure it's an original. Anyone missing a copy? :lol:

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Picked up a bundle of cheap GB games the other day, had a pile of manuals inside including this:

shantae.jpg

This is for the rarest GBC game there is and I'm 100% sure it's an original. Anyone missing a copy? :lol:

Give it another 5 years and that’ll be worth more than the actual cart. 

• Upvote 5

Decided to go back to F-Zero Maximum Velocity for the GBA recently. I've had it since it's release 19 (!) years ago, but never could beat one of the cups in master difficulty.

Well now I've finally managed to do it! All that's left now is to beat all four cups on master with the other 8 cars to unlock the final car...

It'll take a while, but I reckon I can do it.

It's a great little racer. The other two in the series on the GBA are good too, but they never quite got me hooked like Maximum Velocity does.

• Upvote 2

anyone looking forward to the analogue pocket to play GB/A games?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I sold that manual to someone in the US for £180 :o

Holy shit!

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/gameboy-color/shantae

Have you thought of contacting the person you bought this off and asking if they have any other carts they might have missed?  $470 for the cart!

I was actually just listening to Retronauts this morning talking about Game Boy collecting, and how the manuals/boxes have crazy value because so many people just kept the cart in its little jewel case and threw the rest away.

14 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Holy shit!

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/gameboy-color/shantae

Have you thought of contacting the person you bought this off and asking if they have any other carts they might have missed?  $470 for the cart!

I was actually just listening to Retronauts this morning talking about Game Boy collecting, and how the manuals/boxes have crazy value because so many people just kept the cart in its little jewel case and threw the rest away.

Yeah, he had picked them up from a market stall that was ditching loads of old gaming stuff ages ago and I had all the left bits, basically everything he did. So no hidden gold sadly... though that manual was enough to pay for my AVS :lol:

• Upvote 1

Picked up the Taito Variety Pack today.

Chase HQ

Elevator Action

Bubble Bobble

Sagaia

Not a bad compilation.

• Upvote 5

I'm picking up Game Boy horizontal shooters.  I've got:

R.Type 1 and 2

Parodius

Nemesis 1 and 2

Any others worth getting?  Mercenary Force is on the list.

There's a port of Sagaia but I don't know if it's any good.

Thanks.  I got Sagaia on a compilation cart, but had forgotten about Burai Fighter.

@Tomcat Retroware TV had two articles on the subject (Part 1, Part 2), but arguably all the good ones have been mentioned already. If you are interested in GBC shooters as well,  Macross 7: Ginga no heart wo furuwasero and especially Magical Chase GB are recommended.

It’s not a horizontal shooter, but I also found a new bullet hell GB game made last year. Looks intriguing.

On 12/04/2020 at 18:35, DeDeDe said:

@Tomcat Retroware TV had two articles on the subject (Part 1, Part 2), but arguably all the good ones have been mentioned already. If you are interested in GBC shooters as well,  Macross 7: Ginga no heart wo furuwasero and especially Magical Chase GB are recommended.

It’s not a horizontal shooter, but I also found a new bullet hell GB game made last year. Looks intriguing.

Thanks for those links.  Star Hawk looks hard to come by - can't find any trace of a JP release, and I would never have thought of Tail Spin.

I have Magical Chase, as an accompaniment to the Cotton series.

• Upvote 1

On 11/02/2020 at 06:44, ulala said:

anyone looking forward to the analogue pocket to play GB/A games?

so much. But god knows when it’s out.

My purchases have arrived. Here's my Game Boy horizontal shooter collection, with the vertical ones at the bottom for good measure.

Don't think much of the Mercenary Force boxart.

260539AA-C97C-4103-9812-106E5FBA869F.jpeg

Tailspin will be harder to get.

• Upvote 8

Niiiiice. I've had that Jp release of Paradius since release and it's possibly my favourite version of the game. 

Taiyou no Yuusha Fighbird is another vertical affair. I haven't played it so can't attest to its quality. Graphics look nice but gameplay doesn't look very exciting.

Japanese video game packaging was always so much nicer than ours.

• Upvote 1