rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

It's aliiiiive! I managed not to destroy it with my crappy soldering skills. This is my original dmg-01 bought back when they first came out and now she lives again. 

IMG_20190315_194905.jpg

• Upvote 9

37 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Have you also put in a bivert mod? 

Yes looks like one of the pin connections to the bivert mod wasn't quite connected properly but I've re-soldered it and it all works lovely now. Shame camp deadly is the only game I have left for it right now! Although have a friend in Tokyo looking out for anything interesting for me. 

1 minute ago, TheGaffer said:

Shame camp deadly is the only game I have left for it right now! 

Probably best if you break it again, all things considered. 

• Upvote 3

On 15/03/2019 at 19:54, deKay said:

167 hours of FFTA on mine :)

I bought this game a few months ago but haven't started it yet.  You have inspired me to do so,

10 hours ago, bum said:

I bought this game a few months ago but haven't started it yet.  You have inspired me to do so,

I put in at least 120hrs, and I think @strider mentioned that he’s clocked silly hours on this too. Strong contender for the GBAs best game, and the only FFT game I’ve ever really got on with.

My favourite build was suicide-bombing lizardmen with revival rings equipped. Fun times. 

so many memories, so so many.

someone just brought one to school one day and - bam - these things were a thing that suddenly existed in my world. whole worlds inside a little grey brick. and the music! i immediately fell in deep love and to this day, no technological advance has a hope of displacing this thing from the core of my heart. of course, that's a sign of aging but also of the huge leap it was at the time. not iteration, not evolution - but revolution.

nintendo had a massive vision and they realised it fully. made from pure love, and it still shows.

It's a console I practically skipped back in the days. I already had a MegaDrive as my main console, and back then funds weren't simply high enough to sustain two consoles.

I only ever had a handful of games for it, most of them stone cold classics though like Tetris, SML and its two sequels (Wario Land was my absolute favourite GB game back then), Ducktales, Metroid II and Pokémon Blue. And then some filler like Turrican and Escape From Camp Deadly, but that was about it.

Won myself an gb everdrive x7 on ebay, it's great, except it's a revision  1, which means it's incompatible with the Pocket (which I do have and love as much as much gba), oh well.

Might move it on, keep an eye in Trading.

I picked mine up for a fiver at a car boot sale in 97 with Tetris, Gremlins 2 and Castlevania, I then bought Wave Race and then later Pokémon Red.

I think I still have it somewhere but it doesn't power on anymore.

2 hours ago, NEG said:

Won myself an gb everdrive x7 on ebay, it's great, except it's a revision  1, which means it's incompatible with the Pocket (which I do have and love as much as much gba), oh well.

Might move it on, keep an eye in Trading.

I was watching that and toying with bidding myself. 

My second console - first was the videopac many years earlier - and an absolute legend.  Its classics still hold up very well today.

It truly was brilliant.  Amazing how it saw off the competition with almost disdainful ease.

It was my second console as well. I have a lot of fond memories of the Game Boy, but like many other people looking back, it does feel like I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I was thinking about it yesterday, and what I've come up with is that the novelty and the small sense of the future that playing Tetris on the go faded somewhat quickly, and by 1992 or so it was not quite forgotten, but very overlooked. It had some nice, solid games, but everything around it was much more exciting and shiny. I suppose even Nintendo was not complaining so much, given the fact that every unit sold probably had a very healthy profit margin for them.

Back when the SNES mini was announced, there was talk about the possibility of Nintendo releasing a Game Boy mini the following year, and at the time I was skeptical about whether there were enough games worthy of re-releasing. In the past year, though, in large part thanks to Jeremy Parish's Game Boy Works series and his work at Retronauts, I've completely changed my mind. His Switch-like concept is intriguing, but, more importantly, his dream list of games serves as a good list of the best games on the system. (He would rectify the lack of Metroid and Balloon Kid later. Although I would argue that Metroid II doesn't hold up that well these days.)

I didn't own many Game Boy games. Tetris and Super Mario Land, of course; Ducktales was amazing. I loved the first TMNT game on the platform, Fall of the Foot Clan, which I ended up misplacing on one of the many adventures I undertook with my brother in tow. Playing it again last month was a slightly shocking experience. It hasn't aged well. But the music has––the Game Boy probably has a lot of my favorite 8-bit music, in large part due to Konami's efforts, and there's something in the MIDI system that the GB uses that literally resonates with me. (The soundtrack to Belmont’s Revenge is absolutely amazing.)

It's easy to make a list of the highlights, most of which I owned: Tetris, Wario Land 1&2, Link's Awakening, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Pokémon, Donkey Kong 94. More than any other console, the GB was really the little engine that could. And there is so much more.

I've been thinking about how to replay the classics and also play all of those games that I missed the first time around, but what's the best way to do so these days? I own a hacked PSP, but I wonder if playing on the 3DS (via the eshop) is a better experience...

• Upvote 1

It has a great selection of games, but many of my favourite I already have on the 3DS VC, and some of the others I think wouldn't make it for licensing issues.

Tetris

Golf

Revenge of the Gator

Super Mario Land 1,2,3

Mega Man 2

Kirby 1 and 2

Double Dragon

Zelda

are  all already on the 3DS VC

Parodius

Nemesis

TMNT

James Bond

Super RC Pro Am

Duck Tails

might have licensing issues.

I'd probably buy a GB mini anyway, I suppose.

On 22/04/2019 at 22:19, Ninja Doctor said:

I was watching that and toying with bidding myself. 

Cough cough

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Not showing on mobile skin sorry

Was a link to Trading folder for the Everdrive. Sold now so nvm.

Picked up a GB Pocket and wouldn’t mind giving the backlight/bivert mod a go. Does anyone have any good resources to check for info on doing it (seen quite a few vids on YT) and places to pick up the bits? 

Cheers! 

Apols if this is covered in any other threads. 

On 22/05/2019 at 19:03, geldra said:

Picked up a GB Pocket and wouldn’t mind giving the backlight/bivert mod a go. Does anyone have any good resources to check for info on doing it (seen quite a few vids on YT) and places to pick up the bits? 

Cheers! 

Apols if this is covered in any other threads. 

Hello! Should be able to give you a few pointers here.

First one...if it's your first GB mod I would advise against the pocket. It's actually a horrible mod to do. The screen is super fragile and you will ruin the connection between the ribbon and screen when trying to remove the film. Try an original DMG 

Secondly If you insist on the pocket you don't need the bivert mod. The contrast was much better on the pocket. Just backlight kit.

Third...Get it (and any other GB kit) from deadpan robot. Great site and quality products.

Hope that helps man. Drop me a PM if you have any other queries.

• Upvote 3

@Das thank you. Good to know re contrast on the Pocket. 

On the Deadpan Robot site they mention issues with power and the backlight on the Pocket. Do you know much about that? 

37 minutes ago, geldra said:

@Das thank you. Good to know re contrast on the Pocket. 

On the Deadpan Robot site they mention issues with power and the backlight on the Pocket. Do you know much about that? 

Yeah it struggles. Need to use high power rechargeable batteries. If you run the pocket with backlight and a flash cart it doesn't cope that well to be honest!! 

50 minutes ago, Das said:

Yeah it struggles. Need to use high power rechargeable batteries. If you run the pocket with backlight and a flash cart it doesn't cope that well to be honest!! 

Oh wow, i’m regretting picking up a Pocket now. I don’t have a flash cart at the min though, so there is that...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geldra said:

Oh wow, i’m regretting picking up a Pocket now. I don’t have a flash cart at the min though, so there is that...

They are cute. I don't blame you! I've managed to make myself a proper backlit GB colour (GBA AGS 101 screen mod) so that gets nearly all the Gameboy action these days!

I’ve a GB flash cart and can’t say it draws more power. Why would it? Flash ROM doesn’t need more power than normal ROM does it?

On 25/05/2019 at 08:35, Fireproofradiator said:

I saw an almost mint copy of Scrabble for the GBC yesterday. £8. Isn’t that the one Matthew ‘Jet Set Willy’ Smith worked on? 

Yup. Used to go for the big bucks in the pre-smartphone era, as it was generally acknowledged as being the best portable version of Scrabble, if not the best computer version full stop. Richard Herring was a big fan.