rllmuk
Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

On 02/09/2018 at 00:38, Marlowe said:

After getting a new backlit GBA from Das, I went up in the loft at my parents today and got all my old Game Boy games out of storage. Some brilliant memories with these.

gba2.jpg.9d4c415d69b0a0f6bfcd9981b77853fa.jpg

I'd like to expand the GBA collection now and play a lot of games I missed. Any recommendations on where to find legit games? Too many fakes around on eBay.

What's that Napoleon game like?

8 hours ago, I say said:

What's that Napoleon game like?

It's decent, technically impressive for managing to squeeze an RTS onto the GBA. Takes some liberties with the history - you fight monsters as well as armies! Word of warning: I didn't get especially far into it as I found it difficult figuring out what to do without an English translation. Looking around, there seems to be an English patch out there now though if you can play ROMs. 

On 10/01/2019 at 22:50, BBBBBB said:

Do fake carts work okay? As in, actually run/save the games okay without crashing?

Literally no way of knowing. Some do. Some do for a while. Some don't.

1 minute ago, Camel said:

No, you need an SFC one.

Ah thanks. 

Also i bought a GB everdrive a while back, haven't used it much. Can anyone recommend any sort of hidden gems that still play well today?

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2019 at 14:08, Nathan Wind said:

Agree. And Mole Mania, Batman, Mystical Ninja, Trip World, Battle Bull and at the top of that pile, Trax.

I'd never heard of Trax until last year when I randomly picked it on my Retropie. It's really good. And although it's a very different game, you can definitely see the Kirby DNA.

Just completed shadow warriors. Was a blast. Nowhere near as hard as the Nes masterpiece..but, a very decent gameboy game. 1 manable would be a good challenge.

Really would like to pick up Belmonts revenge or double dragon next :)

IMG_20190216_002911.jpg

After missing out on a GameBoy Advance Micro in Trading I decided I totally needed one. Managed to get one off Facebook Market place and it's the cutest little handheld I have ever owned.    Will take pics later but holy crap it's just so damn cute. 

On 02/03/2019 at 19:19, Ninja Doctor said:

So thanks to @Mr Do 71 I now have a gbc in its way next week. What shall I pick up first?

batteries?

Mario or Zelda DX is what I'd go for first.   

I need to look into getting a backlight for mine. 

On 04/03/2019 at 12:43, rafaqat said:

After missing out on a GameBoy Advance Micro in Trading I decided I totally needed one. Managed to get one off Facebook Market place and it's the cutest little handheld I have ever owned.    Will take pics later but holy crap it's just so damn cute. 

gba-micro.thumb.JPG.63ba92b090dc4e7c77efb196639f8404.JPG

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Thoughts and prayers to your eyes and hands.

It's not too bad.  the should buttons are a bit odd in that the contacts are on the inside of the shoulder buttons near the "hinge".   You get used to it but it's more to dig out for a few minutes at a time and coo at it.   It's seriously so cute.    

9 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

What he said! They are a lovely ornament but useless for actually playing anything for longer than...oooh...28 seconds?

@rafaqat I'm not sure I would recommend any of the DX games these days. All of them (Super Mario Bros., Link's Awakening, Tetris, R-Type... Maybe Wario Land 2 also belongs in this list) are at the very least very good ports or, in the case of Tetris, a fresh take on the original. However, now I find I prefer the originals. The Super Mario Bros. DX extras are fun, though.

@Ninja Doctor You mean GBC-only games? If so, I'd recommend:

• Metal Gear Solid: Not a port, but an entirely original game. The best classic Metal Gear game.
  • Wario Land 3: Some people rave about Wario Land 2, but I've never liked it. Wario Land 4 is the best game of the post-VB trilogy, but 3 is different enough to warrant a visit.
  • Mario Tennis and Mario Golf: In many ways, both of these games have been superseded by subsequent versions, but they're still a lot of fun. I personally think that Mario Golf GBC is the apex of 8-bit arcade golf games.
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game: It's a little on the short side, but this is an incredibly addictive digital version of the eponymous card game. The Japan-only sequel is next on my to-play list.
  • Bionic Commando Elite Forces: This is not a port or a DX version of the original Bionic Commando; not wholly original, but a brand new game, and surprisingly good.
  • Stranded Kids (Survival Kids): A somewhat open-ended game about trying to survive on a desert island. Very underrated.
  • Shantae: Arguably, this game has become more of a collector's item now, and the sequels have bettered it in every way, but the original is still quite enjoyable.
  • Toki Tori: The sequel is more sophisticated, but this is a great little platform puzzler.
  • Pokémon Pinball: I revisited this a couple of months ago and found it lost a bit of its luster. There are better pinball games now, but it's not bad.

Bonus:

• Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble: I've always been a fan of games that use gyroscopes for gameplay, and this game is fun. I'll admit that it’s not for everybody, though.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages: I hated these games when I played them back in the day, but I've been meaning to revisit them recently. A lot of people rate them highly, though.

So far my non dx links awakening has arrived but I’m still waiting on the save battery to swap it out. Original Golf has arrived and the GB Pocket I accidentally won on eBay (proper low balled an offer and got it accepted) is coming with Tennis. That’ll do for now I think. Also borrowed Tetris from a buddy. 

Been years. Picked it up today.

Its slower than I remembered, plus I'm playing this directly off the back of the famicom double dragon.

Is it because of the music in this game....wow! 8 bit musical notes are still the best!

I'm not sure I've ever beat this, also....I can't beat final boss in the famicom double dragon.soon!!...

I'm really enjoying these takes on the arcade game.

IMG_20190312_001622.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 06/03/2019 at 08:39, Nathan Wind said:

167 hours of FFTA on mine :)