Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

Been playing Shining Force Resurrection of the Dark Dragon since I got the Micro. Was slightly phased by the titchiness of the screen at first (even though I had one of these back in the day) but the old eyes are still functioning and I love the sharpness.

The headphone socket does emit too much buzz for it to be useable, sadly. 

Re: Shining Force @Wiper and whoever else has played it - does it ever get tougher? It's all a bit of a breeze so far. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MatOfTheDead said:

quick question is there a way to wipe old saves etc game carts?

most games had a button comination didn't they? probably different for each game though.

• Upvote 1

Most common one was hold L+R+Start+Select when you turn it on, I think. But yeah, it varies. There are a few games (I think It's Mr Pants is one) that you can't delete the data on!

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, deKay said:

There are a few games (I think It's Mr Pants is one) that you can't delete the data on!

Riviera: The Promised Land had this problem, and the gameplay changes based on your previous plays, so I never got to experience the virgin game. Weirdly, on the copy I had the previous owner had only finished the game once, getting the hardest, most obscure ending (the Rose ending), so I could just look at the CG galleries rather than having to unlock it.

2 hours ago, DumbMagician said:

Re: Shining Force @Wiper and whoever else has played it - does it ever get tougher? It's all a bit of a breeze so far. 

It's been a long while since I played it, but my abiding impression of it is as a particularly, um, "friendly" SRPG. A nice introduction to the genre for newcomers, but not particularly challenging if you know what you're doing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Riviera: The Promised Land had this problem, and the gameplay changes based on your previous plays, so I never got to experience the virgin game. Weirdly, on the copy I had the previous owner had only finished the game once, getting the hardest, most obscure ending (the Rose ending), so I could just look at the CG galleries rather than having to unlock it.

Sometimes you can wipe the data by pulling the cartridge out while it's saving, so the data is corrupted and it's reinitialised on restart.

Here's my GBM collection (apologies for the blue one being upside down)

gbm.thumb.jpg.55e2215593af5e0b03cf6d321953e345.jpg

The NES GBM is obviously the most beautiful console Nintendo have ever produced and I still regret selling the red/black Pokemon Center model I had to get the Final Fantasy IV model. The GBA is the console where I have the most regrets over. I sold a load of the games I had to buy DS titles and sold one of my AGS-101 models for money towards a Vita which came good in the end but I regretted it for months afterwards. These mistakes are why I hoard DS games and consoles.

I've got a really old EZ-Flash IV which uses a mini SD card that I lost the adapter and software to years ago. Where's the best place to get a newer model, eBay?

• Upvote 4

I follow a GBA game search on eBay. No matter when I check it, the list of games for sale never seem to change. It seems there's an almost unlimited supply of Bratz, Open Season, The Incredibles, Scooby Doo and Rugrats GBA cartridges available.

I picked up a boxed copy of Kirby And The Amazing Mirror the other day, as well as Advance Wars 2.

It's a great system, but all my focus is on the DS at the moment.

Got a game boy pocket and it's a nice system to hold and play on but I'm not sure what there is left for me to play on the original game boy other than Metroid II and Final Fantasy Adventure. I've beaten more or less all the other usual suspects (Your mario's, wario's, kirby's, pokemon's) at this point that aren't ports/clones of games on other systems. I need suggestions.

30 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Got a game boy pocket and it's a nice system to hold and play on but I'm not sure what there is left for me to play on the original game boy other than Metroid II and Final Fantasy Adventure. I've beaten more or less all the other usual suspects (Your mario's, wario's, kirby's, pokemon's) at this point that aren't ports/clones of games on other systems. I need suggestions.

The below are all good:

James Bond 007

Dragon Warrior Monsters

Dragon Warrior I & II

Gargoyle's Quest

Mario's Picross

Jeremy Parish is doing an excellent chronological review of all GB games on YouTube - Game Boy Works. As you'd expect, it's turning up a lot of crap, but also a few hidden gems, and it's always watchable.

I absolutely love that game, the humour in it is fantastic. I never finished it either though, I got to one point quite late on the game where I couldn't beat the enemy and couldn't be bothered to grind. I could probably pick it up now as it's been so long and not be as frustrated trying to level up.

I have however pre-ordered the 3DS remake so will just start from scratch when that comes out and hope I don't fall into the same trap.

9 hours ago, strider said:

Started playing Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Never finished it before.

Still the best in the series. It’s aged beautifully too, still looks and plays great.

I never quite finished it either, saved the game at a crossroads between lots of different areas and couldn’t remember where I needed to go next :(

Has anyone actually beaten it?! I hate leaving a game unfinished because of a stupidly difficult end boss. I'd rather not invest the time again to get to that point, is it just a case of grinding?

I still have my saves of Metroid Prime and Minish Cap where I haven't been able to beat them. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ymaohyd said:

Has anyone actually beaten it?! I hate leaving a game unfinished because of a stupidly difficult end boss. I'd rather not invest the time again to get to that point, is it just a case of grinding?

I still have my saves of Metroid Prime and Minish Cap where I haven't been able to beat them. 

Prime was tough but fair, I thought. Minish Cap though was basically impossible unless you'd unlocked a specific optional sword art, and if you hadn't, and had saved inside the end castle, you were buggered. I had to restart the whole game over that.

Pikmin 1's final boss still gives me nightmares. Total difficulty cliff-face. Try and rush him and your Pikmin all die, try to pick him off with bombs and you run out of time. I beat him after several tries, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth about a game which, up until then, had been a really magical experience.

I completed Metroid Prime, but the final boss was horrendous.

Also completed Minister Cap, but again it took a while. I probably had that sword art, I really can't remember much of the game.

I've been meaning to play the original Superstar saga for years but I have the 3DS remake ordered so hopefully they will make the boss a bit easier. I'm not sure I have the patience for ultra hard bosses anymore.

The sword art let you defeat the Darknuts before the final boss easily. Without it, you'd get pounded by them and end up taking on the actual boss with about two hearts left.

Real curate's egg of a game. Loved the art style, the tiny bits and the mole mitts, but the whole thing felt kind of half-finished, with gamebreaking bugs and only enough subquests to house two of the three goddesses. I'd quite like to see it get a do-over on a modern platform, but I'm guessing the 2D art would be the first thing to go.

Rose Colored Gaming has posted that AGS-101 LCDs - the ones used to make backlit modded original GBAs - are back in production somewhere. So those will be coming back.

• Upvote 1

I have just got back into the GBA and have gone a bit wild. I have also realised it might be a better console than the SNES! The list of must haves is insane but I hope to rebuild my previous collection. 

So far I have picked up:

Green micro with boxed advance wars, fzero, and FFVI and unboxed Castlevania harmony, Castlevania Double pack and some trash carts like Spider-Man 2. Got this for £100 but FF and the Castlevanias were fake but the guy was honest and and I got a discount to £70.

I picked up Metroid Zero Mission  (£22) in CeX along with mario golf (£5) MG didn’t work but Metroid was genuine.

also found Astro boy for £6 and a boxed Metroid fusion along with a few other bits and pieces including an original GBA and Mario 1 for £45.

One thing I have noticed is CeX have some great prices online and also how to spot a fake cart.

Tips for spotting fakes:

genuine carts have stamped in numbers on the label which correspond to which factory they were made in. It can be hard to see these face on but can be seen when tilted under light.

Fake carts often have a more eggagerated emboss of the gba logo that is more shiny

the arch at the top often goes past the edge of the label box on fakes. 

Already halfway way through zero mission and absolutely loving it!

• Upvote 2