rllmuk
strider

GameCube Appreciation Thread

There doesn't seem to be one of these which is most odd.

As I've got a large percentage of the Xbox games I wanted, I've had the great idea of ignoring them in favour of buying GameCube games!

This is probably a good thing as the prices are already starting to go mental online, so I'm trying to pick up stuff now before it gets too silly.

I've currently got hold of the following, some of which (the Zeldas) I already had.

1080 Avalanche

Animal Crossing

Beach Spikers

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Donkey Konga

Eternal Darkness

Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance

Killer 7

Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords

Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker

Legend Of Zelda: Collector's Edition

Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Lost Kingdoms

Luigi's Mansion

Metroid Prime

PN03

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 4

Soulcalibur 2

Starfox Adventures

Star Wars Rogue Leader II

Star Wars Rogue Leader III

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Monkey Ball

Super Smash Bros

Viewtiful Joe

Zoocube

I've got another 30-odd games on my wantlist, but am pretty pleased with what I have so far.

One thing I've noticed is that I've had to order a new memory card and that the first-party line-up feels incredibly strong. My actual gamecube is ruined because my eldest daughter used to throw it in her toy box and fill the lid with grapes, so I'm playing everything on my Wii, which looks fantastic through RGB and CRT.

Completed Luigi's Mansion recently and now playing Fire Emblem as it cost me a small fortune.

• Upvote 4

What di you mean about prices going mental online? I have Four Swords which I'm guessing is worth a bit but assumed the rest were all but worthless.

Four Swords without the big deluxe box is £50, Fire Emblem 80-150, Paper Mario £40, Star Fox Assault £50+, Pikmin 2 £30+ Luigi's Mansion £20+, Twilight Princess £40

Basically, even the most common first-party titles go for £10-20. High when you consider that Xbox releases can largely be picked up for pennies.

If you have ever decided to dabble in the GameCube it's probably best to get in now as the prices are really starting to climb. Also it's a great system with lots of unique games.

Yeah, I went PS1-DC-GC-PS2; the quality of games for the DC and GC kept me off purchasing the PS2 for a long while, and it took the re-release of Ico/release of SoTC to trigger an eventual purchase of a PS2 slim.

Also, I managed to get almost all of the decent PAL releases on both Systems. Most of what you list there, plus Paper Mario: TTYD, Doshin the Giant, Battalion Wars, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia (I think that was a GC release), even the Pickford's Future Tactics.

Faves? Metroid Prime, Resi 4, Viewtiful Joe, Zelda: TWW, Killer 7, and an honourable mention to Rogue Leader because Star Wars. And to Eternal Darkness and PN:03 for being brave attempts to do something different.

Is that a list of games you have or games that you want?

In my opinion the Gamecube was Nintendo's greatest machine.

Sorry, it's ones I already have. Will make that clearer.

I loved the style of the console from the carrying handle to it's toybox like design.

attachicon.gifGamecube.jpg

Me too, but it's child like design meant that my daughter who was three or four at the time would continually stuff it full of grapes and throw it in her toybox. She also chewed the thumbsticks on both my wavebirds :(

• Upvote 1

I never really got into the GC having gone down the Xbox route at the time. I played a few games on my mate's one but nothing much grabbed me. Different story now though, I'm itching to get one and have a go at all those great games I missed out on. I've already picked up the Rogue Squadron games despite not yet having a machine to play them on. Anyway, my mate from a couple of sentences back still has his GC tucked away in his parents loft and is kindly sending it my way imminently.

Ahh Gamecube, it's literally one of best consoles out there, along with best controller, all the time. The launch was also one of my best memories - I saved every day for it which meant skipping out lunch at school. At the end I only had enough for just console, and I couldn't go to store to buy it as I'm still at school, so my mum went and tried to get one with my own money. Sadly, it was all sold out at Ayr but she managed to get one in Girvan Woolworths which is really lucky, and it's purple too (which is one I really wanted).

When she got home she surprised me with a extra pad, memory card and three games (Luigi Mansion, Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader). It was really amazing day. I still own my very first Gamecube, there's no way am getting rid of it (I use it for Gamecube/GB games still) :wub:

Trying to think which's my favourite game on it, there's so many but I think The Thousand Year Door is my favourite, with Super Monkey Ball and Legend of Zelda Wind Waker behind.

• Upvote 4

Sorry, it's ones I already have. Will make that clearer.

You've got a goodly number of the great titles. Tip for playing PN:03 - think Galaxians in 3D. It's a gussied-up old school shooter.

I got the WindWaker Pack - silver GC with Zelda and the extra disk with OOT. I still love the art design and the feel of sailing the world - all those raving Internet fanboys foaming at the mouth over the art style were completely wrong.

Pity I played it before OOT and MM (which I am just finishing off for the first time on the 3DS - three masks to go, all dungeons down, a dozen or so 'side missions' to resolve), as I think I'd have appreciated playing them more had I done them first.

I remember getting one at launch on a complete whim. I literally pre-ordered it the day before it was due out and went to game the next evening. I was queuing up and a few people were getting angry because I was second in the queue and they'd pre-ordered their machines months before. We all got served in the order of the queue so I was able to get my console nice and early with Monkey Ball, Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion and an extra pad.

I've tried a couple of times to get into collecting for it, even had a crack at a full set but I always ended up getting bored, not sure why as there's loads of good stuff for it.

I remember the one I got at launch with Luigi's Mansion and that Star Wars game. It wouldn't load any games and when I went back to Game they didn't believe me, actually set it up out back to test. Even then when it was black screening he tried to refuse to give me another, saying I'd have to to send it off to Nintendo. Luckily the manager appeared and told him to behave himself.

I'm about to wander in here and put more or less the exact opposite of Seven's comments, I fear.

Despite a handful of brilliant games, the Gamecube was, for me, the weakest console of its generation, not helped by having the worst controller since, well, the N64. The vast, vast majority of games released for it left me cold, and those adaptations of existing series that I loved (Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mario Kart, Wario Ware) were, while enjoyable, worse than their previous generation/handheld equivalents. It also didn't help that I never enjoyed Resident Evil 4, or that the Mario and Zelda series leave me cold at the best of times, of course.

In the end, there were four games that made the system worthwhile for me: the mesmerising P.N.03; the hilarious, ridiculously frustrating Super Monkey Ball;* the frenetic Smash Bros Melee; and the incredible, gorgeous F-Zero GX. Thanks to those it remains a console worth owning (well, that or a Wii), but it always felt like a missed opportunity to me.

Absolutely lovely console to look at, mind.

*along with P.N.03 and Metroid Prime, the only game for me in which the controller design felt like a boon

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

Far too long post alert!

Probably my favourite console - came out while I was in my second year at Uni, a magical combination of having time and enough money (or ability to absorb debt) to buy a console at launch, and in a shared student house there was plenty of opportunity for multiplayer. I bought a bunch of other controllers in fairly short order too, including the beautiful JP only Spice Orange one which I got from either Tototek or PlayAsia*, along with some controller extension cables. My favourite controller ever, especially in Spice Orange.

* whoever it was, they cloned my credit card and bought a fuck-tonne of mobile phone credit in Spain a few months later.

Bought it with Resident Evil and Super Monkey Ball. RE was as much for the novelty of an 18 rated game on a Nintendo console as anything else, but given as I'd missed the Saturn/PS titles it was all new to me. Absolutely clocked that game, including the sub-2hr runs dressed as cowboys and chased by hand-grenade laden zombies, or whatever the conditions were. Crimson Heads!

SMB was another hit - multiplayer, we played it to death, particularly Monkey Target. Single player, it was also fantastic - bastard hard, but always 100% fair (SMB2 was vastly inferior in this respect), and it taught you respect for the quality of the L stick with its almost non-existent deadzone and octagonal gate.

The other multi-player highlight was Beach Spikers in 4P mode - always thought this was a hugely underrated game. Could have done with a bit more extras throwing in for the home console version (it was very obviously an arcade port), but great mechanics gave you a real feeling of flow, and it inspired a great many high-fives.

Also - 60Hz modes in all but a few early titles! No more second-class citizen status for PAL regions.

This was also the era when I started making a point of finishing (if not absolutely rinsing) games, as I'd (correctly) diagnosed my gaming ennui prior to this as being due to starting tonnes of games and never finishing them. I still stick by this.

Here were my highlights (asterisk indicates if I completed them):

Wind Waker* - a playable cartoon with a magical sense of adventure. The negative reaction to this game from the mainstream permanently alienated me from gaming culture.
Twilight Princess* - pretty much perfect, IMO. The mechanics may have been well worn by this point, but they're excecuted flawlessly.
Metroid Prime* - as good as Super Metroid. Caught the wonderful combination of isolation in an alien world and exploration that the SNES title had. I wish MP3 had remembered the isolation part.
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes* - not quite as good as the first, but some wonderful puzzles and environments.
Resident Evil*
Super Monkey Ball*
Beach Spikers*
Eternal Darkness*
- not sure this was very substantial in retrospect, but it had a wonderful nihilistic atmosphere and the limb-lopping-off combat engine was great.
Killer 7* - the plot was, in retrospect, just freestyling bullshit, but it oozed style and had surprisingly satisfying combat.
Pikmin* - wonderful, just a shame the PAL copy is one of the few GC games without 60Hz mode.
Luigi's Mansion* - again, a perfect little mini-gem only spoilt by lack of 60hz mode.
Ocarina of Time* / Majora's Mask* - first played via the Zelda Collector's Edition disk. I'd never had these in my brief period of N64 ownership.
Animal Crossing - US import, booted via disc given away with Cube magazine. Played this a lot, my wife played it even more.
Super Mario Sunshine* - I loved this, not a disappointment for me at all. The blue coin stuff was a bit balls, though. The janky camera taught me how to properly use a C stick for dual-stick control in 3D games (basically typically only use the forward 90 degrees of the L stick, using C/R to rotate the camera for any bigger turns), which still pays off to this day.
Mario Kart: Double Dash* - an underrated Mario Kart, for my money. Certainly pisses all over MK64.
Wario Ware* - a bit of a blatant port of the GBA game, but taking genius and making it 4P wasn't a bad shout, and this saw a lot of play multiplayer (including a memorable stoner session on a mate's homebrew projector that he'd made out of a gutted TFT monitor and an old school OHP).

Disappointments:

Resident Evil Zero - wanted to like this one, but it just didn't work for me.
Super Monkey Ball 2 - main game was too gimicky and not always fair; mini-games were too diffuse, nothing had the depth of the original Monkey Target or Monkey Golf.
Timesplitters 2 - an attempt at finding a Goldeneye equivalent. In retrospect, not the kind of game the GC should have tried to do.
Lost Kingdoms - loved the idea, but it all felt a bit unfinished.
F-Zero GX - I couldn't help but admire the speed, but the gameplay left me as cold as all previous F-Zero games.
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg - utter turd of a game.
Doshin the Giant* - just a bit rubbish. I think I finished it, as there was only about 20 minutes game in there. Turned a healthy profit on this one, though.

Ones that got away:
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 - I think I was busy playing through my backlog when these were making waves, and I never picked them up.
Resident Evil 4 - never played this until the Wii port, which I played to death. Can't imagine not having wiimote aiming, though.
Fire Emblem - I didn't know the series back then, but I still regret not buying this before the prices went bananas.
Odama - a partially voice controlled military/pinball mash up. Apparently a curates egg, but that concept!
Starfox Assault - not sure I ever saw this at retail
P.N.03 - every time I nearly bought it, I ended up buying something else. Would still like to play this.
Pikmin 2 - I owned this, but never got around to playing it, which is criminal. I have the Wii port on my pile of shame.
Chibi Robo - the prices on this one got very silly very fast.
Baiten Kaitos titles - I think I avoided these due to a lack of 60Hz mode. Playing Xenoblade makes me curious about what I missed.
Geist - this vanished into dev hell for years, then turned up apparently not very good. Interesting concept though.

• Upvote 5

Fairly sure I've said this before, but I really hated the toy-like design of the GC, especially when compared to the PS2, which didn't look out of place in a "grown up" living room. The irony of this is that I now have a purple 'Cube on display in my office, purely because I like the design so much, and think the PS2 looks horribly dated.

Wow. I'm glad I don't live in Wiper's head.

I mean, it's OK to prefer 2D Metroids to Prime, because they are such different beasts, but there's no way Prime was 'worse' other than being 3D; it was an absolutely gorgeous game that oozed so much atmosphere I was paddling in it.

It absolutely nailed the feel of a Metroid world in a 1ps.

The final boss battle can do one, mind.

Far too long post alert!

Ones that got away:

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 - I think I was busy playing through my backlog when these were making waves, and I never picked them up.

Resident Evil 4 - never played this until the Wii port, which I played to death. Can't imagine not having wiimote aiming, though.

Fire Emblem - I didn't know the series back then, but I still regret not buying this before the prices went bananas.

Odama - a partially voice controlled military/pinball mash up. Apparently a curates egg, but that concept!

Starfox Assault - not sure I ever saw this at retail

P.N.03 - every time I nearly bought it, I ended up buying something else. Would still like to play this.

Pikmin 2 - I owned this, but never got around to playing it, which is criminal. I have the Wii port on my pile of shame.

Chibi Robo - the prices on this one got very silly very fast.

Baiten Kaitos titles - I think I avoided these due to a lack of 60Hz mode. Playing Xenoblade makes me curious about what I missed.

Geist - this vanished for years, then turned up apparently not very good. Interesting concept though.

Odama, Zelda: Four Swords and Chibi Robo were the only ones I wanted to get for the Cube, but never did; I had the chance with Zelda and Odama but never quite fancied them enough at the time; Chibi I missed the boat on, so that's the only real regret I have.

Ah, I forgot Four Swords! I actually had that, and managed a single 4P session with therearerules, u2031 and someone else (can't remember who), which was a hoot, but we stopped when GBA batteries ran out and somehow never gave it another try. I think it's probably the best Zelda no-one's ever played.

I quite fancied FF Crystal Chronicles, too.

Doshin the Giant "a bit rubbish"? I loved it, and my kids (who were all pre-school age at the time I played it) still talk about it to this day. I suppose to them it was like watching Teletubbies or something (except in DtG the Teletubby occasionally turns evil and goes on a genocidal stamping spree).

Another great game that's not been mentioned so far: Pacman Vs! It was worth buying that terrible version of Ridge Racer for.

• Upvote 1

I do kind of get where Wiper is coming from. There's something about post-N64 Nintendo machines that always seems to leave me just a little bit flat. I like the idea of the next Nintendo console each and every time but always end up slightly disappointed. That said, I keep reading about how great the GC was so I'm keen to check it out. If nothing else, I know I'll love the Rogue Squadrons and Mario and I'm dead keen to try out the Metroid games after having a very brief go on Prime when it came out.

Even today Metroid Prime looks fantastic. Absolutely incredible game world with smart level design and wondrous looking environments. Yes they're very generic worlds (ice, desert etc) but they feel lived in and alive, just like with Super Metroid.

• Upvote 4

I loved the GC, right down to the alternative start up noise. I still have three under the bed (in storage, as it is) 2 UK purple ones (one is the wife's) and a US Orange with a JPN/US switch on it that I bought from some gaming shop in Ealing. Unfortunately my collection has been decimated but I still have both the Rogues, Japanese RE 0 (with memcard), Japanese Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing(also with memcard) and various others that I can't recall.

I only need to get a display adaptor and I can hook it up to my 6 YO son's TV and relive some of the best gaming there ever was with him :wub:

• Upvote 1

Even today Metroid Prime looks fantastic. Absolutely incredible game world with smart level design and wondrous looking environments. Yes they're very generic worlds (ice, desert etc) but they feel lived in and alive, just like with Super Metroid.

I remember being astounded by how good it looked. Who knows, I may eventually end up editing that last post to "There's something about post-Game Cube Nintendo machines that always seems to leave me just a little bit flat". Maybe.

Doshin the Giant "a bit rubbish"? I loved it, and my kids (who were all pre-school age at the time I played it) still talk about it to this day. I suppose to them it was like watching Teletubbies or something (except in DtG the Teletubby occasionally turns evil and goes on a genocidal stamping spree).

Another great game that's not been mentioned so far: Pacman Vs! It was worth buying that terrible version of Ridge Racer for.

I guess that was a bit dismissive. It felt like Black & White, which I didn't like, with even less depth and no real goal.

I loved the GC, right down to the alternative start up noise.

Alternative start up noises, plural! Hold Z on all four pads for a safari style noise set.

• Upvote 2