Konami CEO: "Mobile Is the Future of Gaming", long story short, everyone is wrong about everything according to everyone else.

Captain Kelsten

• 2 weeks later...

IGN have some official clarification about the future direction of Konami, and strangely enough, the sky isn't quite falling in:

“the Metal Gear and Silent Hill series, both beloved by countless fans around the globe, are also extremely important to Konami. We have nurtured them with care over many years since their inception, and will continue to produce products for both franchises, but we are not currently at a stage where we can announce the path these future titles will take.”
“Our aim is to continue to build up a comprehensive portfolio of console, arcade, and card game titles for each IP while also making the best possible use of the mobile devices that accompany our customers in their daily life, thus expanding the limits of entertainment and appealing to more and more customers,” Hayakawa said.
Konami’s statement concluded, “Konami will continue to embrace the challenge of creating entertainment content via different platforms; across not only mobile platforms, but for home consoles, arcade units, and cards, to meet the changing needs of the times. Your support for our current endeavours, and your spurring us on to greater heights, are as always deeply appreciated.”

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-publisher-konami-issues-apology-explains-mobile-first-future

• 2 months later...

There's a Konami "heritage games" (i.e. dormant franchises) survey doing the rounds. Its options on format preferences for future instalments of each franchise are:

Mobile only

Desktop/PC only

Mobile and PC

Consoles only

It looks like they view resurrecting a franchise on console and mobile or PC as mutually exclusive, which suggests something about the kind of games those mobile releases will be.

No Silent Hill BTW but ZOE, Castlevania and Gradius get mentions. MGS isn't mentioned but I guess it's an active franchise.

There's a Konami "heritage games" (i.e. dormant franchises) survey doing the rounds. Its options on format preferences for future instalments of each franchise are:

Mobile only

Desktop/PC only

Mobile and PC

Consoles only

It looks like they view resurrecting a franchise on console and mobile or PC as mutually exclusive, which suggests something about the kind of games those mobile releases will be.

No Silent Hill BTW but ZOE, Castlevania and Gradius get mentions. MGS isn't mentioned but I guess it's an active franchise.

I've completed it and asked for a HD Gradius anthology (to include the Salamander games).

I'll post up some videos when it's delivered.

This is exactly the kind of thing that would've been an elaborate April 1st joke 5 years ago :(

Nothing unusual about videogame themed Pachislo machines. I've got an SNK branded one which I stored away years ago in the shed in my folks place, Dragon Gal I think its called. Also remember lusting over some cool looking Street Fighter and Jet Set Radio pachislos.

Something I'm curious about is whether the market that Konami is now chasing wants what they have to offer?

They're slapping Castlevania & Silent Hill onto gambling machines, but is that what the players of those machines want? Could they really clean up in that space, or could it fall completely flat?

They're willingness to burn all their gaming bridges certainly seems to point to them being confident that it will be lucrative, but I wonder just what that confidence is based on.

I often wonder what happened to the Japanese people who bought/played massive numbers of classic games only a decade or two ago. Are they all just satisfied with the jewel matching smartphone games I see everyone playing on the train here every day?

Based purely on my observations from living here, pachinko seems to be a more socially acceptable/popular hobby for middle aged/adult men than gaming on anything other than a smartphone.

Japanese people generally just don`t seem to continue playing games (other than the 2 types of crappy smartphone game everyone seems to play) into their 20`s and beyond the way many westerners do. I guess having no free time may play a role in that.

I can imagine basing gambling machines on massively popular famicom-ps1 era games could appeal to the users of gambling machines, middle aged salarymen and the like.

This is all just a guess though, of course.

I remember reading a good article saying basically Japan has been in a 25-year economic depression and income and quality of life have taken the hit.

In the 90s Japan had more buyers of luxury items than any other country, but now budget lines are the top sellers - consoles and $60 games are just a big casualty of that, and the rise of mobile F2P is the result.

The demographics of the country might have something to do with it, when you don't have a huge ever growing pool of your traditional primary customers being created (infact the opposite), is it any wonder that something which is reliant on that key demographic is going to run into problems.

Konami's most recent results cite financial success of their gaming division being driven by mobile and DLC, if mobile wasn't a big deal and consoles shrinking for them, they wouldn't be putting money into that area. After the rumoured price tag of MGS V, most people wouldn't blame Konami management for wanting to tap out of the race.

Interesting question. I think lifestyle certainly does have something to do with it; a lot of Japanese are simply too busy to be playing separate consoles outside of work, a quick play on the smart phone on the morning commute will have to do. It's worth noting as well that smart phones themselves took a long time to get off the ground in Japan. I was there until 2011 and myself and many of my friends still used the old flip top phones. Stuff like DoCoMo's iMode service catered for pretty much all mobile gaming and internet needs at the time. I guess movie playback, touch screens and easier game playing controls eventually won out.

Tying into that is the Japanese love of the latest fads; a cliche yes but no less true for being one. I could count about three of my friends who bought DS's just to play DQIX for example, purely because it was being advertised wherever you looked at the time. One mate played it, or so he told me, so he would have something to talk about to potential clients.

One more thing is the seeming lack of brand loyalty. No scottcrs over there sadly. My wife and her friends grew up playing Gradius and Gyrodyne and Super Mario Bros. on the NES but couldn't tell you who made them, much less why they should be buying console sequels when they could be playing Puzzles and Dragons on their phones for a fraction of the price.

I wrote them a large essay in the questionnaire on why they should release an upgraded version of Gradius V. I'm sure they will read it and get straight onto it, either that or I'll just have to keep playing it in an emulator (which actually makes it look pretty amazing rendering at high resolution).