rllmuk
ZOK

Audible...and other audiobook delivery mechanisms that may or may not be available

10 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

Home Fire is today's deal of the day. I thought it was great (but read it; haven't listed to this version).

Bought because I don't have enough audiobooks

On 17/01/2019 at 17:46, Timmo said:

I'm half way through that Bill Bryson book, it's mind bending!

Try Sapiens! Good narrator too.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Timmo said:

2 for 1 sale now with some amazing books this time.

https://www.audible.co.uk/special-promo/2for1

Thanks for this! Not much in the SF section really other than Necronomicon which I highly recommend, but there are some great classics to be had. I picked up Jamaica Inn, Anna Karenina, The Great Gatsby, Fahrenheit 451, War & Peace vol 1 and Crime and Punishment for 3 credits.

Incidentally, has anyone read any Doris Lessing? I’m listening to The Golden Notebook at the moment, which I’ve been meaning to get around to for at least twenty years!

It’s a superb narration by Juliet Stephenson, quite interesting in its way as I’ve heard her make a couple of misreads which they don’t edit out, she just re-reads them, which I’ve not heard before.

What an amazing book though. I’m only seven hours down of the 27 and it’s blowing my mind how good it is, I keep having to rewind it because if I worry that if I miss a sentence when I get distracted I’ve missed something really important.

On 10/03/2019 at 09:58, ZOK said:

Incidentally, has anyone read any Doris Lessing? I’m listening to The Golden Notebook at the moment, which I’ve been meaning to get around to for at least twenty years!

It’s a superb narration by Juliet Stephenson, quite interesting in its way as I’ve heard her make a couple of misreads which they don’t edit out, she just re-reads them, which I’ve not heard before.

What an amazing book though. I’m only seven hours down of the 27 and it’s blowing my mind how good it is, I keep having to rewind it because if I worry that if I miss a sentence when I get distracted I’ve missed something really important.

I’ve got about 12 hours left to go, and this is so good. Already one of my favourite audiobooks. I actually found myself gasp out loud at a plot point the other day, I’m so caught up in it.

A superlative novel, and a superlative narration.

I'm listening to Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb‎.

Like all Audiobooks I have to keep going back and re-listening to bits but it's really compelling.

It's about how humans (in particular market traders) are sort of biologically wired to be fooled into thinking that random events are predictable, and how we always seem to think track record is a predictor of future success but fail to take into account things like survivorship bias.

It's one of those things I now can't stop thinking about in every day life, like when considering how on earth a particular person managed to rise so high in the company you're working at.

I recently listened to The Great Gatsby narrated by Jake Gyllenhaal and Fahrenheit 451 narrated by Tim Robbins.

No need to crit the books, but both were excellent narrations. Special mention for Tim Robbins though, his performance narration was simply superb, ranks alongside the best I’ve heard.

If I want to get audiobooks from an illegitimate source, what’s the best way to listen to them on my iPhone so that it will remember where I am upto when I get in and out of the car, like it does with podcasts?

As far as I know they will just be one long mp3 file, although I haven’t actually checked yet. (Myanonamouse)