Lucifer - it's "based on the comic"

what do you mean?

The book is Lucifer moving out of hell and to L.A., but the plots are all metaphysical and Sandman-esque, so yeah, this is a far cry from the trailer.

Lucifer has no sense of humor whatsoever. He's gigantically pissed and never really taken by surprise. He's ruthless and doesn't give much of a fuck for anyone's life unless it can further his own goals of breaking out of God Made reality into something else.

• Upvote 1

The book is Lucifer moving out of hell and to L.A., but the plots are all metaphysical and Sandman-esque, so yeah, this is a far cry from the trailer.

Lucifer has no sense of humor whatsoever. He's gigantically pissed and never really taken by surprise. He's ruthless and doesn't give much of a fuck for anyone's life unless it can further his own goals of breaking out of God Made reality into something else.

and in this he's teaming up with a cop to solve crimes.

I don't see the problem...

;)

From a review of the pilot script:
http://www.filmdivider.com/9072/lucifer-on-tv-wont-have-anything-much-to-do-with-the-comic-at-all/

This is just the sort of thing that calls into question why the show is an adaptation of Lucifer at all. The small elements from the comics that have made it in are all expressed in such a cursory fashion that they feel like nothing more than lip service to the source material.

If what Fox and Kapinos want is to make a police procedural where a louche, bored version of the Devil gets his kicks helping the police with their enquiries, they could easily have done so without pretending it was an adaptation of the comic. It’s not like the character isn’t in the public domain, after all.

And if they’d done so, it might have been better for DC, Gaiman and Carey, because any association with this script, which, quite aside from being free and loose with its source material is regularly dumb as bricks, as well as occasionally in poor taste or even offensive, is only going to harm them.

• 8 months later...

Everyone seems to hate it, but I quite enjoyed the pilot when I watched it last year. Admittedly there have been tons of "Hot cop solves crimes with her magical friend" shows this season. This does seem to be a bit of a waste of the source material, but hopefully it'll grow into something good. Or just get axed after 4 episodes. One or the other.

• Upvote 1

I find it harder as I get older, and become more anti-religion, to suspend my disbelief with stuff like this, no matter how light hearted and "fun" it might appear. When I see the words "What if the devil decided to quit?", my mind just kind of rebels, as there is no fucking devil. Plus it looks shit anyway.

That's different. I can suspend my disbelief with those. I think it's just the fact that to many people, religion is a very real thing. The organized, real world idiocy of that, interferes with my enjoyment of stuff that takes it's inspiration from biblical texts.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed it. Sure, it's easy and obvious, and they're going to blaze through songs with Devil or Hell in the title before they get halfway through a season, but it's still a fun concept. I laughed several times, which is better than most supposed comedies get out of me, and the actor playing Lucifer is great. Didn't read the comic, couldn't care less.

• Upvote 3

That's different. I can suspend my disbelief with those. I think it's just the fact that to many people, religion is a very real thing. The organized, real world idiocy of that, interferes with my enjoyment of stuff that takes it's inspiration from biblical texts.

It might be worth your going back to Sandman (and then Lucifer) as the character is well used to subvert theological themes. Plus, the series more or less uses all religions, mythologies and fairy tales, so that may take the edge off any suggestions of real world idiocy. Other than the ones that are there on purpose, but again, they're subversive and critical.

This series, to me, however fun it might be, looks like a huge missed opportunity.

If nothing else it's got the One Million* Mums lot all wound up.. they're boycotting the Olive Garden chain who sponsors the 'spiritually dangerous' show.. because it shows Lucifer as being 'cool, charismatic and irresistible to women'

Think they need to read the bibles they're clinging to so tightly - leading people from a virtuous life is what he's supposed to do!

The pilot was ok - similar to the excellent iZombie, it's not an accurate adaptation at all, but it was entertaining enough for a 'police person and unusual adviser' show..

(iZombie or Limitless are much better shows if you're after a new one of these though..)

(*all several dozen of them)

Well it was fun till the end - mainly cus the lead is having such a lovely time.

Can't see it having long term appeal though right now. The cop is pretty bland/boring - for example I like Beckett in Castle early on and generally enjoy SK's portrayal. This one felt wet by comparison. No real hint of interesting/entertaining secondary characters either.

The "case" in the first one was pretty laughable - they didn't really solve it so much as the solution fell in their laps. Lucifer's "power" looks like it might be used inconsistently - otherwise lots of cases would be over in seconds. Given the fact that it'll likely be a "standard" police procedural, it's hard to see how the cases are going to be of much interest.