rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bazjam

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

That was absolutely spectacular. And amongst all the drama, some fantastic comic lines too. The look on Marc Warren's face at some points was amazing!

A slightly different ending to the book but it didn't matter at all. Fantastic stuff all round.

"Stephen, I demand more of this kind of thing on the BBC!"

"Why are you firing walnuts at me?"

That was absolutely spectacular. And amongst all the drama, some fantastic comic lines too. The look on Marc Warren's face at some points was amazing!

A slightly different ending to the book but it didn't matter at all. Fantastic stuff all round.

"Stephen, I demand more of this kind of thing on the BBC!"

How did the book end?

How did the book end?

It's been a while since I read it, so I forget what happens to Norrell, but they don't end up in some kind of magical beyond place. Strange returns to our world but is still surrounded by the black tower. He appears to his wife and says that he'll find continue to find a way to get rid of it so they can be together. It's a different set of circumstances but the same overall effect really.

• Upvote 1

With the finale, I would probably rather

they left Lascelle in the maze, with the knowledge that he would slowly die and rot. I didn't think having him shoot Stephen served much purpose on the show. He is the most evil and vile by far though, much worst than the gentleman, who is somewhat a force in nature.

Just finished the last episode. Bloody fantastic. Slight variations to the book for dramatic effect but all handled brilliantly.

It's a pretty incredible lesson on how to write believable and gripping character drama too, with genuine shocks being delivered through deft storytelling rather than, say, dumping "edgy" content all over it, which I have to be honest makes something like Game of Thrones seem even more ridiculous.

Best thing I've watched all year apart from the new Mad Max and Whiplash.

Just finished this: amazing. One of the best things I have ever watched and it was so for being its own programme and doing its own thing.

And as for comedy,

"we took all the magic in England and put it in a butler and he shot him!"

Superb.

• Upvote 1

Loved it, really satisfying close and final show down with all the characters getting to do something. I'd actually forgotten most of the book so was actually surprised at times as well.

Hopefully we can get some more now Mrs Clarke please.

I struggled with this series a little in the middle, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Cracking ending and great performances all round. Bertie Carvel does madness and charming very well, and such a different performance to the sleazy comms guy he played with obvious relish in Babylon, which is the only other thing I've seen him in.

Fantastic ending, really well handled. Great acting from the leads, beautifully shot and filled with tension.

My one complaint would be Mr Honeyfoot's flying around - looked terrible and felt childish compared to the tone of the scene.

But really clever how the ending scene was the York Society of Magic, echoing how the series began.

Finally got around to watching this and I thought it was fantastic. Probably one of the best things I've ever seen on the BBC. They need to carry on with this level of TV to compete against the swarm of shows from American. I'm definitely going to go and read the book to see how they compare. The authors been working on a sequel since 2004 so I've read, 11 years seems to be a long time to have not got it out yet. I wonder if the BBC can just go ahead and create there own follow up because I'd love to see more of these characters.

I was convinced throughout that Childermass was the Raven King and he'd somehow just forgotten his way and who he was, especially when Strange looked at the painting in the Palace. There was a striking resemblance between the painting and Childermass.

• Upvote 1