Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

7 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I’ll give you that Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are arguably a tighter experience, but that’s mostly because they’re maybe a quarter of the size of Hollow Knight, or maybe even less?

Oh, wow, I actually never considered this. Is Hollow Knight really that much larger!?

I definitely prefer shorter, more replayable games over larger behemoths. I think Breath of the Wild is the only game I played this generation where its size and length didn't feel like they detracted from the experience.

Hollow Knight gave me the best sense of feeling lost and learning a place, moreso than any other vania I've played, even more than Dark Souls 1! It was a stupendously good adventure. 

It also has such a beautifully nonlinear map. 

And the best music. 

And sick lore. 

But I'll stop stinking up the Bloodstained thread now. 

It's a shame tho. I eagerly backed this game when it first went on kickstarter. Man how good were those Iga videos?! But jeez. I've struggled to play it for more than an hour. It's like a game from 1997. And not in a good way. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just started playing this on Game Pass and I can't stop playing. Save points or fast travel points are discovered regularly enough that you always want to push on around the next corner to see what's there. 

Discovering that random walls can be destroyed means that I'm now swiping at every damn wall in sight, mostly to no avail but I'm still having a lot of fun.

After 9 hours of play, I've discovered 40% of the map and unlocked 3 of the story related abilities, went exploring with my newly acquired ability for about 30 minutes and another 4% of the map then died because I couldn't find a damn save room in the Hall of Terminations. Fuuuuuuu.

Up to about 60% of the map, and I keep on going exploring for lengthy periods of time and dying because I can't find/get to a save room. Mildly frustrating but nothing that makes me want to delete the game.

One thing that I'm a little bemused by is the sheer number of weapons/shards/food/items etc etc. It's all a bit much. I tend to just stick to a single weapon at a time, expect when I'm trying to master a technique (some of which did fuck all damage and took some serious grinding), the armour with the most defense and a few shards, like Welcome Party, Flame Cannon (that I ranked up to 9) and maybe Heretical Grinder (rank 7 I think). 

Basically, there's too many things that I could be equipping and it causes option paralysis (I have the same problem with Dark Souls to be honest). I would be happier if the game pared things down to a sensible level in terms of items and was a little less sprawling. Call me a heretic if you will, but my favourite Metroidvania is still Shadow Complex.

I note that I still haven't finished SotN after getting stuck because I bought the wrong item from the merchant guy. Given that there's no way of knowing which item you're supposed to buy if you happen to stumble on the merchant before the obstacle blocking you for which he sells an ability (magic?) that gets you past it, this seemed like a fucking awful design decision and so I sacked off the game. Change my mind if you will.

I did find the hundreds of shards etc a little overwhelming. Ended up selling most of them because why would I ever throw a frog? It tells you early on that having too many will be detrimental, but I don't know if this ever happens.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I did find the hundreds of shards etc a little overwhelming. Ended up selling most of them because why would I ever throw a frog? It tells you early on that having too many will be detrimental, but I don't know if this ever happens.

Spoiler

Killing the “final” boss after you’ve gathered a certain amount of shards gets you the worst ending.

I'm annoyed with myself for having to ask, but I seem to be stuck. I've discovered 75.5% of the map and have recently done:

Spoiler

the Inferno Cave and received the Invert shard.

I've mopped up as many of the remaining areas as I can, minus what I believe are optional bosses that are locked away by keys I don't have (the Millionaire's Key and the Warhorse's Key specifically. That said, I've discovered the Carpenter's Key but have no idea where the Carpenter's Door is) so I'm a bit baffled as to where to go next. 

Could anyone give me a non-spoilery hint please?

My map looks like this

Spoiler

IMG_20200809_130920.thumb.jpg.0f92d87bc4a4f3ea3aa5cc4615c3c633.jpg

53 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I'm annoyed with myself for having to ask, but I seem to be stuck. I've discovered 75.5% of the map and have recently done:

Hide contents

the Inferno Cave and received the Invert shard.

I've mopped up as many of the remaining areas as I can, minus what I believe are optional bosses that are locked away by keys I don't have (the Millionaire's Key and the Warhorse's Key specifically. That said, I've discovered the Carpenter's Key but have no idea where the Carpenter's Door is) so I'm a bit baffled as to where to go next. 

Could anyone give me a non-spoilery hint please?

My map looks like this

Hide contents

IMG_20200809_130920.thumb.jpg.0f92d87bc4a4f3ea3aa5cc4615c3c633.jpg

There's no shame in asking and the Dev said in an interview that he designed the game to be a collaborative experience where people share ideas and methods.  Because some of the items are a little too hidden.  There's a clue in that map.  Look for the areas that have not got a solid line around the rooms . The first tall pillar on your map ( left hand side) shows there's somehere up there that you can go.  Invert will help you get there.  But there may be spikes that stop you getting past so you'll need something to break the spikes, a sort of spike breaker if you will.  

Having said that, you may have fallen into the trap I did so you might just need a proper spoiler.... Give me two mins

Yes the spike breaker armour is the unfair item. It's well hidden but now you have invert you can do this.

I think the game design is flawed at this point because you can colour in that square earlier when you are inside the tower. I think it should stay blank to give you a clue that you missed something. If you did already have that square coloured in there's no apparent reason to back there and you get stuck. It's the only bit if the game where that happens but it is a bit rubbish to be honest. 

Cheers!

The reason the square is coloured in is because I picked up one of the chests in that area but didn't realise that the chest I couldn't figure out how to reach was the important one.

I agree that hiding a necessary item like that is a bit weird (a bit like the shard you need to move about in water) but no game is perfect and I've enjoyed myself for the most part.

I plan to get all the achievements, but have a horrible feeling that getting/creating all the items is going to be a colossal grind.

• 1 month later...

Really enjoying revisiting this game with the randomiser feature.  I'm not sure how they have managed it, but I've not been able to  get stuck despite taking a different approach to the routing. I got the reflector ray which helped as I'm over 50% through and still don't have the double jump, and as the game has only given me one familiar so far (and a rubbish one at that) the gameplay is now a combination of switching between directional weapons and the reflector ray when I need to get somewhere that's too tall for my single jump. It's required a lot more skill than the usual route and I'm really enjoying it.  

I remember seeing that chest when i was around the tower area trying to figure out how to get to it and spent a good 15 mins or so trying to work out how to get to it as it was so close yet so far. It was only after giving up and leaving the area that it clicked and took me by surprise. It surprised me even more when I realised what the item was as I knew it could have been easily missed. 

Struggling now. 80% map cleared on randomiser and the memory that the last 20% is Den of Bohemoths. So does anyone know how to 

Not get the bad ending, slice the moon instead then jump into the red moon to access the last area...

... When the games has been randomised and I don't have the Zangetsu sword even though I did kill Zangetsu?

Spoiler alert, but the randomiser mode randomises whatever you choose on the opening screen settings. It does not keep the "A unlocks B" items in order. So if it puts a key behind a locked door you're wasting your time playing it.  A very stupid oversight. Sure  you can use Dimension Shift to get to most places, but if Zangetsu Sword is placed inside Den of Bohemoths then you can get to the last 20%

• 2 weeks later...

Played through again from scratch after buying it on steam via a sale.

This is a great fucking game. So good. Only issue I actually have is that leveling shards can only be done by repeatedly killing the same enemy instead of naturally gaining XP as you play, leading to a lot of going into a room, killing, exiting, going back in and killing, rinse and repeat. 

That's about it. The rest is gold, and I want a sequel now.