rllmuk
Dig Dug

Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Finding this to be brilliant but also weirdly unbalanced at the same time.  I always liked the DSS cards that surround you with flames on COTM, so when I got the first shard from the paintings (welcome shard or something) and saw it surrounds you with paintings I was happy to use that. But it basically hits everything around you all the time. I've just done the halfway fake ending and realised that I haven't used a single strategy or practiced any area, I've just ploughed through it all with the shard protecting me from everything. Bosses are a doddle, and there's huge amounts of content I haven't looked at.  I keep increasing the capacity of my guns, but have never needed to use them.  

Its a great game and I'm really enjoying it, but there's a tonne of stuff going on that doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Give that guy some corn and later on he gives you more corn back.  Kill the demons and the lady gives you some rings or something.  When you kill a demon for a quest, Leave the room and go back in and do that 5 times.  I have tonnes of items in my inventory and I don't know, I feel like the game should be forcing me to do something with it and it's not.  I don't know if this will change (I'm halfway) but for example if there is an area that needs loads of corn to get into then there is a reason to give corn to the guy outside. I can collect a million items but all I really need to do is use them to make potions.

I know I'm in the wrong here, its my choice to try different weapons, different shards etc.  There's just so many of them, and I can plough through the game without needing to try them all out.  I never had that feeling of all these elements being a bit redundant in previous Castlevania games.

Still my game of the year so far though. 

No, you're quite right. It's all a bit of a mess. But that only makes it even more like SotN, which is exactly what I wanted. It would rather give you tons of options and not worry about balance than make sure everything is a perfectly pitched challenge. It's refreshing that it's not precious about how you experience it - experiment or don't, try and do things properly or take the easy way, do the side quests or just don't bother. Whatever you want. 

And I ended up with shed loads of corn potato and rice. More than I could ever get through. But it gave that chap something to do at least.

Despite the issues I mentioned above, this game is fucking brilliant.  The music is fantastic (Knock the sfx and voices to 40% and have a proper listen, which isn't something I've done since the PS1 days), and the last 50% really ramps up the difficulty and the sense of progression.  There's still too many food items and the quests don't seem to matter (give the guy some corn that you collected and he gives you more, but the corn doesn't seem to matter apart from being something you give to the guy who grows it) and there's so many shards that it all feels so unmanageable that they get largely ignored, and there's a lot of menu settings that I've not bothered with because they overcomplicate matters, but you know what, who gives a shit, this game is absolutely wonderful.  Calming, enjoyable, relaxing and fun. Love it.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, dumpster said:

give the guy some corn that you collected and he gives you more,

No, you give him seed and he grows corn. You don't give him corn and get more corn.

21 minutes ago, deKay said:

No, you give him seed and he grows corn. You don't give him corn and get more corn.

No @deKay, you're missing the timeless wonder of the whole thing.  We...  Sow the seed! Then nature grows the seed, and we eat the seed.  Then....

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

Despite the issues I mentioned above, this game is fucking brilliant.  The music is fantastic (Knock the sfx and voices to 40% and have a proper listen, which isn't something I've done since the PS1 days), and the last 50% really ramps up the difficulty and the sense of progression.  There's still too many food items and the quests don't seem to matter (give the guy some corn that you collected and he gives you more, but the corn doesn't seem to matter apart from being something you give to the guy who grows it) and there's so many shards that it all feels so unmanageable that they get largely ignored, and there's a lot of menu settings that I've not bothered with because they overcomplicate matters, but you know what, who gives a shit, this game is absolutely wonderful.  Calming, enjoyable, relaxing and fun. Love it.

Im gathering everyone saying this is missing the cookery part. 

Corn seed > corn > pasta > spaghetti meal > +50hp points 

rice seed  > rice > chicken curry and rice > +1mp/sec regen. 

Etc. 

(I’ve made the above up for illustration purposes only)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Droo said:

Im gathering everyone saying this is missing the cookery part. 

Corn seed > corn > pasta > spaghetti meal > +50hp points 

rice seed  > rice > chicken curry and rice > +1mp/sec regen. 

Etc. 

(I’ve made the above up for illustration purposes only)

No, I do understand that, I just don't see the point of it. It just means you're picking up three items instead of one.  It overcomplicates it for no real reason.  Its not like the process of mixing the items is fun itself, you just go to the guy and make whatever you can make with whatever you picked up.   It becomes a sideline that you can't be bothered doing because you're too busy playing a brilliant game.  Like , when you give that guy the corn seeds and he makes it into corn. Who cares? I'm 80% in now and I haven't needed any corn. Its like they added on a load of half arsed stuff that doesn't really make much of a difference. 

Unless you mean that you get a permanent +50 to your possible max HP? That would be worth it. 

I'm sitting at about 91% map completion, and struggling to find places I haven't been yet.  I've also picked up a load of recipes that I can't seem to use or do anything with.  Do they just automatically unlock more stuff that you can cook/craft, or do you need to give them to somebody?

32 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I'm sitting at about 91% map completion, and struggling to find places I haven't been yet.  I've also picked up a load of recipes that I can't seem to use or do anything with.  Do they just automatically unlock more stuff that you can cook/craft, or do you need to give them to somebody?

The former.

50 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Use the faerie familiar, she will give you a heads up to ‘suspicious’ areas

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Use the faerie familiar, she will give you a heads up to ‘suspicious’ areas

Oh, cool.  Is that different to the weird circle thing that actually highlights breakable walls?  Has she got better range than that?

14 hours ago, dumpster said:

No, I do understand that, I just don't see the point of it. It just means you're picking up three items instead of one.  It overcomplicates it for no real reason.  Its not like the process of mixing the items is fun itself, you just go to the guy and make whatever you can make with whatever you picked up.   It becomes a sideline that you can't be bothered doing because you're too busy playing a brilliant game.  Like , when you give that guy the corn seeds and he makes it into corn. Who cares? I'm 80% in now and I haven't needed any corn. Its like they added on a load of half arsed stuff that doesn't really make much of a difference. 

Unless you mean that you get a permanent +50 to your possible max HP? That would be worth it. 

You know once you've created any of the food items once (including the components) they then appear in the shop to buy from that point on. They're generally pretty good healing items too. It's nice they're not essential, but I've spent a bunch of time making stuff to feed that old lady :P

You’ll randomly pick stuff up as you go. But you need to make the basic stuff yourself. 

By growing seeds which you can buy. Then making basic ingredients from the sown produce. 

Soubds more complicated than it is. 

The first Switch patch has been submitted! It contains zero performance updates. But lots of gameplay tinkering. So if it's nerfs to familiars you were waiting for, or adjustments to enemy HP, it's almost time to jump in! Hooray.

In all seriousness, they've confirmed they're still working on input lag, stability and optimization, which is great. I can wait.

99.70% of the map done and I’ve no idea where else needs doing. I found three more hidden rooms using a map online, but I seem to have done everywhere else bar the final boss room (although I have beaten the final boss). Any ideas?

99.80% - I never went into the left half of the final boss room. Done that.

Used three different maps online now, checked mine against all of them and I have every single room done. What am I missing? Secret rooms that don’t show on the map? A boss somewhere? I’ve beaten all of them (including those you need keys for and the one near the end if you’re holding a certain item).

16 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Nobody tell him! I want to see how long it is before he breaks down sobbing over the last .2%

:(

There's obviously something I haven't got and I assume it's a common thing. I'm also assuming I need more than 100%.

• Upvote 1

Is there something other than actual rooms that ups the room percentage? That wouldn't make sense but would explain why I have 100% map but not 100%.

1 minute ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I had one room left at the end. I looked at a complete map and it still took me ages to see it.

In the end it was the room with the Santa hat. Have you got that?

Got that aaaaaaages ago.

1 minute ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Oh well.

There's nothing weird or hidden though, and it does go to exactly 100%.

Find a complete map online and it will be there.

I've been through three different complete maps and they're all the same as my map. I crossed off every room.