rllmuk
Dig Dug

Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

8 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Seeing as we haven't had a decent Metroid or Castlevania for years... yup.

True. We can both be fans of the series, yet have opposing views on how it might develop.

There’s retro throwback, and then there’s QoL stuff that can be consigned to history without any detrimental effect eg. the identical area-bridge screens straight out of 1997.

• Upvote 1

I would definitely want the next one to push things further and come up with some new ideas. But for this one, it was exactly what I wanted. SotN is easily my favourite Castlevania and it has a unique quality to it that none of the later games could capture. But Bloodstained really got it, for me, without simply being a straight copy. Other than some better music and tighter level design late on, I couldn't have asked for more.

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

True. We can both be fans of the series, yet have opposing views on how it might develop.

There’s retro throwback, and then there’s QoL stuff that can be consigned to history without any detrimental effect eg. the identical area-bridge screens straight out of 1997.

May I remind you that even Super Metroid already QoL'ed the hell out of that? :P TBH I like those screens as they build up some anticipation on what's next. Open world is fine, but that would potentially throw some of its mechnics under the bus like how ALttP's flow got massacred/replaced by OOT's.

Is there a way of configuring shortcuts so they don’t change your weapon? You can for equipped shards, but not your weapon, it seems.

Apart from set the same weapon for every shortcut, obviously.

46 minutes ago, deKay said:

Is there a way of configuring shortcuts so they don’t change your weapon? You can for equipped shards, but not your weapon, it seems.

Apart from set the same weapon for every shortcut, obviously.

No idea. I gave up on the entire shortcut thing. Would've been great if it worked like in the Sorrows but nope it's less work to go into the menus myself, instead of pre-configuring for situations.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Has the Switch version been fixed yet?

Apart from the easy to avoid crash issue, it doesn't seem to need fixing.

• Downvote 4

17 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

But Bloodstained really got it, for me, without simply being a straight copy. Other than some better music and tighter level design late on, I couldn't have asked for more.

What's wrong with the music? I really like it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Apart from the easy to avoid crash issue, it doesn't seem to need fixing.

Apart from the blurry graphics, lengthy input lag, long loading times as you move screens and crashes, no, it doesn't need fixing and is perfect.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Apart from the blurry graphics, lengthy input lag, long loading times as you move screens and crashes, no, it doesn't need fixing and is perfect.

I didn't say it was perfect. The graphics are fine to me, I've not noticed any lag (and I use Great Swords now which have lag on purpose!), and the only long loading times are when you reload a save (which I don't often do as I leave my Switch in sleep mode), and the only crashes have been those I've mentioned and so are easily avoided.

Sure, it's not as polished as the other format versions (which I've not played) but it's a long way from broken.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

It doesn't have Bloody Tears.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I didn't say it was perfect. The graphics are fine to me, I've not noticed any lag (and I use Great Swords now which have lag on purpose!), and the only long loading times are when you reload a save (which I don't often do as I leave my Switch in sleep mode), and the only crashes have been those I've mentioned and so are easily avoided.

Sure, it's not as polished as the other format versions (which I've not played) but it's a long way from broken.

I'm not talking loading times to load the game, I'm taking the 5+ seconds you sometimes get from going screen to screen.

The graphics might be fine to you (though I'm sure you've claimed you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 for before, so it's possible your standards are lower than the average gamer) but they could certainly be fixed up. Character models are blurry. Even the people who made it have said they have a lot of work to do. What I'm saying is, don't make any games.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

I mean, it's fine, but the SotN soundtrack is one of the greats. That game has whole sections where you're really just wandering and casually slashing up monsters, but the music is so good and so varied that it doesn't matter. A lot of the level design in Bloodstained is more intricate, so that makes up for it slightly.

Here's what I wrote about this anyway: https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/07/10/second-symphony-how-bloodstained-makes-castlevania-sing-again

For me, SotN always stood out because it was a bit messy and relaxed in its design, and Bloodstained follows that in some respects, which is why I appreciate it even when it's a bit wonky.   

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I'm not talking loading times to load the game, I'm taking the 5+ seconds you sometimes get from going screen to screen.

5+ seconds is hardly a long time! Have you not played Lego City Undercover or Morrowind?! 

The graphics might be fine to you (though I'm sure you've claimed you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 for before,

I made no such claim. It's a fact, not a claim. I cannot see the difference, and this is totally different to framerate (which by all accounts I've seen is actually stable on the Switch and isn't elsewhere).

so it's possible your standards are lower than the average gamer) but they could certainly be fixed up. Character models are blurry. Even the people who made it have said they have a lot of work to do. What I'm saying is, don't make any games.

Again, I didn't say it wasn't perfect. I also didn't say there wasn't room for improvements. What I actually said is, it is not broken. And it is not broken. If it were broken, it would be unplayable. It is not unplayable. It's fine, especially if you've not played the other versions.

• Downvote 1

5-10 seconds between screens - during gameplay, like jumping up from one room to another - is definitely too long. Especially if you mistime the jump and drop back down and trigger the same load again.

The difference “between 30 and 60” is framerate. What did you think it meant. 60 isn’t the be all and end all but if you honestly can’t see the difference between something running at 60fps and the same thing running at 30fps, you’d be in a very tiny minority.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

5-10 seconds between screens - during gameplay, like jumping up from one room to another - is definitely too long. Especially if you mistime the jump and drop back down and trigger the same load again.

It has never seemed that long to me. Not enough for me to even think it's a problem, anyway.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

The difference “between 30 and 60” is framerate. What did you think it meant. 60 isn’t the be all and end all but if you honestly can’t see the difference between something running at 60fps and the same thing running at 30fps, you’d be in a very tiny minority.

You suggested that because I can't see the difference between 30 and 60fps I couldn't also see the difference in graphics. I said this was something completely different. Which it is.

And yes, honestly, I can't see the difference between 30 and 60. I won't go so far to say that in every possible instance I would never be able to see the difference, but I have as yet been able to tell when tested. I may be in a very tiny minority but that doesn't mean I don't exist.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

It has never seemed that long to me. Not enough for me to even think it's a problem, anyway.

You suggested that because I can't see the difference between 30 and 60fps I couldn't also see the difference in graphics. I said this was something completely different. Which it is.

And yes, honestly, I can't see the difference between 30 and 60. I won't go so far to say that in every possible instance I would never be able to see the difference, but I have as yet been able to tell when tested. I may be in a very tiny minority but that doesn't mean I don't exist.

I was suggesting that because you, apparently, can’t see the difference between 30 and 60, you may not be overly discerning over other factors. Or possibly have some visual detriment that needs to be looked at.

I’m not saying they’re the same.

Anyway, the game is a bit broken currently. And broken doesn’t always mean unplayable. Like a broken record, for instance. Which is apt because

I can see the difference between the 30 and 60, but honestly, with Bloodstained it's not really a problem. The Switch version plays fine. Sure, it has more loading times, but even the PS4 version has issues there including the loading room-swap stuff. If anything, the Switch version plays a bit more consistent because of the constant 30fps.

If you are denying yourself this game because you think the Switch version is "broken", you are doing yourself a disservice.

• Upvote 1

I’m not denying it, I own it. And I’ve decided to wait until the present issues that the development team - the ones you made the thing - have acknowledged are going to be fixed.

Went back to this today and completed the bestiary by beating the last optional boss. Just needed to spend some time upgrading weapons to get the souped-up flying sword first. The directional shield shard is also massively useful.

Vid:

Spoiler

Platinum trophy on this is definitely going to be too much of a grind. I might at least collect all the shards though.

On 08/07/2019 at 21:09, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, it's one of many nods to SotN, although that at least did give you a credits sequence when you beat its not-actual final boss.

Anyway, there's loads more to find. Now you've got some new powers you'll be able to explore some of the incomplete areas of the map and work towards reaching the real ending.

I’m at this same point and confused as hell. You say “new powers” but when I reload it’s before the boss fight. Do I have to start again?

Ok, I think I’ve found a new way to go without killing the dude. Onwards!

Only bought this yesterday, and I’m thoroughly addicted. 

Hooray! There’s a shard that’s basically...

Spoiler

the Black Panther Soul!

This is brilliant!

Just come across a bug after the tower boss fight.  Basically a chest with an item in didn't give the correct item and once open won't give the item again.  Confirmed online and doesn't seem to have been patched yet so recommend everyone keeps a couple of save files as you go just in case you run across anything ropey!

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

recommend everyone keeps a couple of save files as you go just in case you run across anything ropey!

I didn’t think you could save before you start playing 

Finding this to be brilliant but also weirdly unbalanced at the same time.  I always liked the DSS cards that surround you with flames on COTM, so when I got the first shard from the paintings (welcome shard or something) and saw it surrounds you with paintings I was happy to use that. But it basically hits everything around you all the time. I've just done the halfway fake ending and realised that I haven't used a single strategy or practiced any area, I've just ploughed through it all with the shard protecting me from everything. Bosses are a doddle, and there's huge amounts of content I haven't looked at.  I keep increasing the capacity of my guns, but have never needed to use them.  

Its a great game and I'm really enjoying it, but there's a tonne of stuff going on that doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Give that guy some corn and later on he gives you more corn back.  Kill the demons and the lady gives you some rings or something.  When you kill a demon for a quest, Leave the room and go back in and do that 5 times.  I have tonnes of items in my inventory and I don't know, I feel like the game should be forcing me to do something with it and it's not.  I don't know if this will change (I'm halfway) but for example if there is an area that needs loads of corn to get into then there is a reason to give corn to the guy outside. I can collect a million items but all I really need to do is use them to make potions.

I know I'm in the wrong here, its my choice to try different weapons, different shards etc.  There's just so many of them, and I can plough through the game without needing to try them all out.  I never had that feeling of all these elements being a bit redundant in previous Castlevania games.

Still my game of the year so far though. 

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Finding this to be brilliant but also weirdly unbalanced at the same time.  I always liked the DSS cards that surround you with flames on COTM, so when I got the first shard from the paintings (welcome shard or something) and saw it surrounds you with paintings I was happy to use that. But it basically hits everything around you all the time. I've just done the halfway fake ending and realised that I haven't used a single strategy or practiced any area, I've just ploughed through it all with the shard protecting me from everything. Bosses are a doddle, and there's huge amounts of content I haven't looked at.  I keep increasing the capacity of my guns, but have never needed to use them.  

Its a great game and I'm really enjoying it, but there's a tonne of stuff going on that doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Give that guy some corn and later on he gives you more corn back.  Kill the demons and the lady gives you some rings or something.  When you kill a demon for a quest, Leave the room and go back in and do that 5 times.  I have tonnes of items in my inventory and I don't know, I feel like the game should be forcing me to do something with it and it's not.  I don't know if this will change (I'm halfway) but for example if there is an area that needs loads of corn to get into then there is a reason to give corn to the guy outside. I can collect a million items but all I really need to do is use them to make potions.

I know I'm in the wrong here, its my choice to try different weapons, different shards etc.  There's just so many of them, and I can plough through the game without needing to try them all out.  I never had that feeling of all these elements being a bit redundant in previous Castlevania games.

Still my game of the year so far though. 

No, you're quite right. It's all a bit of a mess. But that only makes it even more like SotN, which is exactly what I wanted. It would rather give you tons of options and not worry about balance than make sure everything is a perfectly pitched challenge. It's refreshing that it's not precious about how you experience it - experiment or don't, try and do things properly or take the easy way, do the side quests or just don't bother. Whatever you want. 

And I ended up with shed loads of corn potato and rice. More than I could ever get through. But it gave that chap something to do at least.

Despite the issues I mentioned above, this game is fucking brilliant.  The music is fantastic (Knock the sfx and voices to 40% and have a proper listen, which isn't something I've done since the PS1 days), and the last 50% really ramps up the difficulty and the sense of progression.  There's still too many food items and the quests don't seem to matter (give the guy some corn that you collected and he gives you more, but the corn doesn't seem to matter apart from being something you give to the guy who grows it) and there's so many shards that it all feels so unmanageable that they get largely ignored, and there's a lot of menu settings that I've not bothered with because they overcomplicate matters, but you know what, who gives a shit, this game is absolutely wonderful.  Calming, enjoyable, relaxing and fun. Love it.

• Upvote 1