Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Massive fan of Castlevania here so I’m close to pulling the trigger on this despite not really being able to afford it. 

I’d prefer it on Switch over the other consoles though all being equal. How is it on that? Anything missing or flaky? Are there any comparisons out there? 

6 minutes ago, bridger said:

Massive fan of Castlevania here so I’m close to pulling the trigger on this despite not really being able to afford it. 

I’d prefer it on Switch over the other consoles though all being equal. How is it on that? Anything missing or flaky? Are there any comparisons out there? 

Switch version isn't out for another week but apparently it's 720p and 30fps.

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Switch version isn't out for another week but apparently it's 720p and 30fps.

Ah okay cheers. I’d not looked in the stores yet and so wasn’t aware. In that case I’ll hang fire for a bit and keep my fingers crossed for a Digital Foundry video. Was fancying it for handheld play more than anything else so the resolution drop doesn’t worry me. The frame rate reduction who knows. 

53 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Not really that. It's more a case of telling you that you need to adapt - you can't expect to stick to your favoured set up and brute force your way through each boss encounter.

Hide contents

There's a reason there's a pair of boots hidden away near that boss stage.

How do those help?

2 minutes ago, df0 said:

How do those help?

Speed more than anything - you can get several attacks in and then quickly dodge out of the way. I found it pretty easy using them, whilst I'd got barely anywhere with both my strongest weapons a one handed and a two handed sword.

About 5 hours in I reckon, had an infinite loading bug twice.

I'm not too certain about the 40 euro price tag, it seems/feels a tad steep. But I do very much enjoy this, so it's worth there asking price.

24 minutes ago, strider said:

Has anyone got this yet? I'm hearing stuff about game-breaking bugs etc past the day one patch that doesn't sound promising. Hovering over the cancel button at the mo.

For me, nothing game-breaking on PS4. Apart from some minor graphical glitches, I haven't encountered any troubles.

56 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Remember how in previous games you could dive-kick off enemies to reach certain places? Here you can use candelabras for the same, and there are treasures that can only be reached by chaining them. :D

This is good news. What do we call this? Candlesparking? 'Brajumping? Kickelabraing?

31 minutes ago, strider said:

Has anyone got this yet? I'm hearing stuff about game-breaking bugs etc past the day one patch that doesn't sound promising. Hovering over the cancel button at the mo.

Only thing that I noticed on the PS4 is the controller occasionally deciding to vibrate non stop. Happened twice. I had to exit to the main menu for it to stop.

Most reviews seem to be really positive as well. I guess it's safe to say Igarashi and his team managed to turn things around and delivered a thoroughbred metroidvania well worth getting :) 

Would've loved it probably even more if it had pixel art, but moon on a stick and all that...

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Only thing that I noticed on the PS4 is the controller occasionally deciding to vibrate non stop. Happened twice. I had to exit to the main menu for it to stop.

This might be obvious but I’m pretty sure the pad vibrates constantly when your health gets low. 

No issues for me so far, only thing I’ve noticed is some frame drops in the tower area when the camera zooms out. Just beat the 4th boss, some of them definitely take some learning, which is nice to see. 

Only minor gripe so far is the fact that there’s so much stuff going on to collect, read, find etc. That when you die you can’t always remember what you have and haven’t done, which leads you to missing things. 

5 minutes ago, Goemon said:

This might be obvious but I’m pretty sure the pad vibrates constantly when your health gets low. 

No issues for me so far, only thing I’ve noticed is some frame drops in the tower area when the camera zooms out. Just beat the 4th boss, some of them definitely take some learning, which is nice to see. 

Only minor gripe so far is the fact that there’s so much stuff going on to collect, read, find etc. That when you die you can’t always remember what you have and haven’t done, which leads you to missing things. 

It's not that, because it first happened outside a save room. More a case that it should briefly vibrate in a section and then it forgets to switch itself off. Hopefully the patch will fix it.

3 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Remember how in previous games you could dive-kick off enemies to reach certain places? Here you can use candelabras for the same, and there are treasures that can only be reached by chaining them. :D

You could do that off the candles in SotN too.

5 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

I NEVER knew this. It’s just opened things up massively. 

I’m now using it everywhere to enemy/candle step to higher places. Surely this manoeuvre will allow all sorts of potential progression breaks?

Will be interesting to see people use of this in speedruns. 

How do you dive kick? Do you have to have boots on?

It’s very good. I’d say the first hour or so is decent but you feel it could go either way but after that it just gets better and better. 

It has that classic thing of you feeling like you’ve been everywhere you can and then you find another bit and suddenly there’s loads more and frustration at feeling stuck gives way to feeling overwhelmed at how much you’ve got to explore. And then there you are for another two hours...

3 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Are the stat bonuses from preparing and then eating a food item permanent?

Apparently, just the first taste though. The game also keeps track of what you’ve eaten already. 

And they fixed the farmer. :lol:

For a game that graphically isn't that impressive (it reminds me a lot of the 3DS Lords of Shadow game with the 3D backgrounds and similar style cut scenes) performance isn't that great. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and reached a section where it slowed to a crawl. Other than that it's a classic Castlevania (Metroidvania) in all but name.

So I’m 99% sure that I just did a pretty big sequence break using the enemy/candle step.

I just fought a boss that took me 45 mins to learn and beat. I could tell I was underlevelled for the fight as she took ages to die but it’s a fight you can learn and do without needing the level requirement.

So, it’s super cool you can learn bosses to this level 

It’s also cool you can sequence break, as it will give diversity to replays and speed running.

The other thing that makes me think that I sequence broke is the trophies for the bosses unlock in order but the boss I just beat has a gap of 3 from the boss I beat prior.

Really enjoying this so far. Lots of question marks about suspect areas. One area had a blood moon on the wrong plain that looks really weird and out in place. On returning to the area later, the moon wasn’t there...

Just 'completed' it after about 8 hours and less than 50% of the castle discovered so I assume that's not it. It does seem like my particular weapon (that I got early on) allows me to mash the fuck out of any boss I've faced so far, including the 'last' one.

Second boss done.

I died a few times on it, but was getting the hang of it, and then found an easy way.

Spoiler

Equipped the 'Shield Weapon' I'd forged a little while before and basically just hammered attack next to him. He got a few strikes through but mostly I guarded everything.