rllmuk
ridgeracer

World Endurance Championship (WEC) Thread

I think the pedal box moves rather than the seat, if there is any adjustment that is. 

• Upvote 1

Well technically the "group C" era is 1982-85 then it was the World Sports-prototypes. 86-90. But the WSP seasons were all run under the Group C rules. Open engine regs from a homologated source, with a limit on the amount of fuel available for the race, effectively 330 litres per 1000Km.

Then in 1990 the FIA got twitchy that group C was almost as popular as F1 and introduced the 3.5l engines. But as the F1 engine suppliers had spent billions developing the engines for F1 the back bone of the endurance world (the independent teams like ADA, spice etc) couldn't afford the price tags and all quit.

Group C cars are grandfathered at Le Mans for a number of years, until 1997 when the Porsche WSC gets its final win. It was a Jag XJR-14 body shell with the roof cut off and the Porsche flat 6 for the old 80's 962 era. 

Proper 3.5l engine cars won in 92 and 93 with the Peugeot cars that looked and sounded amazing, when they held together.  But they were the only ones. the Jag with its Metro 6R4 engine looked just as amazing but it was really fragile. 

but by 95 the ACO and split Le mans off from the FI endurance championship. Because Le Mans was and still is, bigger than the FIA and the world championship.  

• Upvote 1

On 23/06/2019 at 22:20, Sidewaysbob said:

The idea being that it would force the other teams to race and break them. Which is sort of what happened, but the Renown car just kept on going

I like that, reminds me of when a big cycling team sends 1 or 2 into a breakaway.

It's also why despite being the iffy team on reliability in the middle of the decade, Toyota are now much more rock solid and have to resort to faking a tyre mistake to let Alonso win.

Because they're not being raced and thus don't have to push.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:52, Dudley said:

It's also why despite being the iffy team on reliability in the middle of the decade, Toyota are now much more rock solid and have to resort to faking a tyre mistake to let Alonso win.

Because they're not being raced and thus don't have to push.

:lol:

Being new to this (as I've mentioned elsewhere in the thread), conspiracy theories notwithstanding I was wondering why they didn't just change all four tyres at once. Seems obvious, and would have eliminated the possibility of changing the wrong one.

Apparently they didn't have any more new tyre sets, and the only available sets had already done four stints on the car. What are the limits on that sort of thing? Is it a budget thing, to reduce the advantage of the works teams who can throw money at it?

10 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

:lol:

Being new to this (as I've mentioned elsewhere in the thread), conspiracy theories notwithstanding I was wondering why they didn't just change all four tyres at once. Seems obvious, and would have eliminated the possibility of changing the wrong one.

Apparently they didn't have any more new tyre sets, and the only available sets had already done four stints on the car. What are the limits on that sort of thing? Is it a budget thing, to reduce the advantage of the works teams who can throw money at it?

Yeah, to be clear I don't think it was a conspiracy so much as utter dumbassery.

It is indeed a budget thing, as much for the tyre makers as anything else who now have a nice easy fixed number of tyres they have to make and bring.

• Upvote 2

Ultimately a budget thing, and the regulations define how many sets of tyres each car can have. There are also other regulations about how many different specifications of tyre to be used and which subset of tyres from the batch supplied by the manufacturer(s) are selected by the officials to be used on which car (to prevent collusion of tyre manufacturer and team).

image.png.3db4ec092c4011de838c5d5b69e17ad4.png

• Upvote 1

The amount teams spend on tyres is ridiculous. And that comment is aimed across all formula's, it accounts for an absurd amount of any teams budget.

Equally though, even if they're not perfect tyres (and 4 stints isn't ruined by any means on an LMP1-H) I still think you're mad not to change the set.

You can then, at your leisure, check those tyres and maybe use the good ones later.  But right then, when every second counts you put known functional rubber on the thing.

The new regs have dragged Peugeot back into the fight.

Should give me something to point and laugh at....

They'll be lucky if there's still a hypercar class to enter by the time they can be bothered to enter.

Good news everyone !! (..thats willing to wait until '22/'23) 

Just merge the technical stuff/ regulations with Imsa dpi class and let's have some 'mature' global endurance racing pls. 

DPi is balance of performance hell.

Not that the hypercars aren't heading the same way mind.

A bit late, sorry.

The WEC Super (dull) season.

A Lament.

It all seemed like such a great idea, start the season with the big race and end it all with a championship decider at the big race a year later. What could possible go wrong? 

Well it was just dull. No one cared who won any of the championships, only who won the big races. And they were mostly a forgone conclusion anyway.  First off, Toyota never looked like being challenged once. Even at the race they “lost”, a technical infringement handed the Rebellion chaps the silverware on Monday afternoon.

The old adage use to be. Build on Friday, race on Sunday and sell on Monday.

Today the adage goes something like this. Ahem….

Build on Monday.

Test on Tuesday.

FIA BOP adjustment on Wednesday.

Complain about the BOP change on social media on Thursday

Practice on Friday whilst still complaining about the BOP change handed out Tuesday but later revised by algorithm Thursday night in a closed team meeting with one of the big manufacturer teams only.

Qualifying and endless discussion of new revises secret BOP adjustment by the teams not given any BOP breaks on Saturday

Race on Sunday; watch Toyota cruise round for umpteenth victory by a country mile.

Scrutineer on Sunday evening after the champagne has been sprayed and all the paying punters who bothered to turn up to the windswept circuit in the middle of nowhere. Who were kept well away from any of the action by increasingly bigger fences further and further back from the track with fewer and fewer facilities or seating areas unless they were prepared to pay for a platinum standard bench in a windswept grandstand. Which was usually situated miles away, as there are no bridges to cross the circuit available unless you have platinum + pass and the right old school tie. Have left and gone home.

Reissue results on Monday, to much moaning and red face loon ranting on social media.

Hastily revised rule change and BOP adjustments Monday evening. 

The WEC has squandered the glory days of Audi v Porsche v Toyota. The days when the pace of development was relentless because the team that didn’t bring an updated car to the next race was going to be 2 laps off the pace.  I understand that Porsche and Audi left for perfectly acceptable reasons and the ACO can’t really be blamed for the loss of teams. However, to then pander outrageously to Toyota and effectively guarantee them the win, was contemptible.

GT pro was tinkered with constantly, to the point that Aston Martin was given a performance penalty after qualifying for the last race of the season. The desperate need to have a level playing field in GT pro was hand waved away when it came to the LMP1 field.  Toyota was given all the advantages, none of the penalties and a lap advantage to make sure they were ahead of the non hybrid cars. Even when they had trouble, they were four laps ahead by the end.  It wasn’t racing, it was a farce!

There were more championship titles than circuits in 2019 and apart from the. “Here you go Toyota, here’s your trophy for being rich and having the rules changed to suit you world title”. I have no idea who won the other. Well, that’s not strictly true, the Signatech Alpine mechanics held up a big banner at the end of Le Mans in 2019 with the world “wold champion 2019”.

I have no idea which GT pro car or team won their bit of the championship. I am assuming it was Porsche, because they turned up to all the races and weren’t Aston Martin or the woefully inadequate BMW. Who despite having possibly the biggest car ever seen on a race track, were almost invisible all season?

Gt am is laughably invisible. The only team I recognised was Dempsey, because the team owner is a Hollywood actor.

When you did notice a GT am, you frowned, wondered who that team was, then instantly forgot them as they turned the corner. The most exciting car in the whole championship, turned up for the last race, won despite the ACO trying to hobble it with an hour to go. Then after the race the ACO found a technical infringement, that you would have thought might have been spotted in scrutineering and gave the win to a Porsche. A Porsche, which did the whole season, much to my surprise!

Again, I have no idea who won the championship, car or drivers.

And, the thing is I’m invested in the championship, I have years of fandom behind me and I know who the drivers and teams are but trying to find any information on the official website or app was laughably bad.

Lots and lots of pages for advertisers or opportunities to buy TV packages to watch on my tiny phone as opposed to my 50” HD tv. Yet another subscription to take out to watch a sport I want to watch. Except I choose the wrong TV service supplier, who only got a half-hearted “highlights” package, so I miss the racing because Mark Cole is clearly watching a different race to the one I’m patchily watching.

The nadir of all this lack of interest was the Spa race. Which was amazing, I think, well the first 2 hours were amazing, and then there was some darts on, then the YouTube channel the official Facebook page directed me to was shut down for “reasons”. Then Eurosport showed some hasty highlights that looked like it was great racing, but we didn’t get to see much of it. Then it was over, and I had to piece it all together. However, I was so disheartened by the whole thing I gave up. 

It just felt like no one cared about any of it. it was a big club for all those involved and if you weren’t in the club with the right tie on, you just weren’t welcome.

And so, the season ended and everyone went home and no one not directly connected with the teams or a serious hardcore fan, cared one jot what had happened. And then it all started up again. I say that, but I have no idea if it did or not. There was next to nothing advertising the fact it was off to Bahrain!

I follow a bunch of teams and the official Instagram feed, and I all I saw were adverts for past races with Porsche and Audi. To be fair the current Toyota paint scheme is indistinguishable from either Porsche or Audi so it could have been promotion for the new season, I have no idea. The it turned out there was a race on at the weekend, and I had no way to watch it love, unless I bought the streaming service.

So I didn’t watch it, and I’m not sure I’ll watch anymore.

• Upvote 2

It's an absolute mess, of fucking epic proportions. The new Hypercar rules can't come soon enough, and at least the first two seasons might be interesting till the ACO fuck about with the rules some more and ruin it all.

What really concerns me, is that it would appear they're about to dick about with the regulations for the Blancpain GT, which provides hours of entertainment for minimal investment. The knock on effect of that is that it's likely to trickle into the GT classes for the WEC. Blame our electric, hybridisation overlords. They know not what it is they want.

• Upvote 1

The problem is they're planning to BoP the hypercars into the ground too.

Also

Mark Cole is clearly watching a different race to the one I’m patchily watching.

I switched to the official streaming for LeMans rather than Eurosport just to avoid him.

As for GT Am, if it's a Ferrari ignore the team name, it's almost certainly being run by AF Corse anyway.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the Hypercar concept could be dead in the water, with stroll taking a share of the F1 aston link up, the planned wec venture is in doubt. I hope redbull who have largely built the cars, decide to run them.

They offered everyone the chance to staple some plastic to a £500k LMP2 car and have their performance matched.

So of course no-one is going to spend £200m on a hypercar.

Sebring has been canceled now. Both the IMSA and WEC races.  Which is a shame, despite it looking like a ploughed field they're racing on, I do kind of like the race. 

ho hum

I did enjoy the motorsport.com commentators being smug when just the WEC race went and I'm sat there thinking "You know you've all got EU drivers right?"

• Upvote 1

Porsche released a nice 1,5 hr ad/documentary for the endurance fans. Enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 3

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 12:03, Sun Tze said:

Porsche released a nice 1,5 hr ad/documentary for the endurance fans. Enjoyed it. 

Watched this at the weekend and thought it was really nicely done. Yes it's promo fluff, but I'm fine with that.  

I watched some of both Le Mans and 24h of Nürburgring last year (I remember Estre's pass on the grass as it happened) and I love this kind of behind-the-scenes stuff.

I'd enjoy it if there was a similar film about the LMP class, but of course this particular film is a couple of years too late for that after Porsche withdrew from that category.