Jump to content
rllmuk
ridgeracer

World Endurance Championship (WEC) Thread

Recommended Posts

Ugh. That sucks for Gavin. Down to one car once again... 

 

Aston not only suffering from BOP but also from unexpected high tire degradation on rears according to dutch eurosport. Hope they can pick up the pace during the night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaps are getting bigger. Still not sure which GTE Pro will turn out in front after the last pitstops. Huge off for Racing Team Holland after flat front tyre but team seems confident they can have the car back on track soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do these teams afford to go racing? Surely there can’t be much sponsorship money in a category where most spectators (however many they even have) don’t even know the teams’ names?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GTE Am is usually funded by whoever the bronze driver is, GTE Pro is (mostly) manufacturer.

 

LMP2 is a combination of sponsorship and gentlemen drivers

 

LMP1 is mostly money laundering either in the form of Russian banks or Swiss watches.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dudley said:

GTE Am is usually funded by whoever the bronze driver is, GTE Pro is (mostly) manufacturer.

 

LMP2 is a combination of sponsorship and gentlemen drivers

 

LMP1 is mostly money laundering either in the form of Russian banks or Swiss watches.

 

You forgot a combination of money laundering and film star dollar....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so, won't be much of a highlight real this year. Been mugged of the finishes seen previously, but that's the rub.

 

Back to sponsors and where money is, you cannot fathom how many cars are involved in ELMS. And where the money comes from for that is a real mystery. We're only watching the top flight, there's another series below this where some of the teams participate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the astronomical cost of buying and running the car itself, the teams have a load of staff, logistical costs and presumably race entry fees. I can’t imagine the sponsors pay much, but there are so many teams who just make up the numbers. I’d love to run a GT team, but I don’t see how it can be anything other than a multimillion pound a year, lossmaking hobby for billionaires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great drives by Toyota Gazoo, Signatech Alpine, AF Corse and Keating Mororsports. 

Good race but without some of the exciting finishes from previous editions. As always though, most of the race was very well worth staying awake all the hours. 

 

Heard mention this was the last year of the C7R but hopefully the legendary roar will return one last time.  My Le Mans experience will not be the same without it. 

 

Nordschleife and Spa next :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Aside from the astronomical cost of buying and running the car itself, the teams have a load of staff, logistical costs and presumably race entry fees. I can’t imagine the sponsors pay much, but there are so many teams who just make up the numbers. I’d love to run a GT team, but I don’t see how it can be anything other than a multimillion pound a year, lossmaking hobby for billionaires. 

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-much-it-costs-to-run-a-professional-race-te-1724802119

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marsh said:

I think so, won't be much of a highlight real this year. Been mugged of the finishes seen previously, but that's the rub.

 

Back to sponsors and where money is, you cannot fathom how many cars are involved in ELMS. And where the money comes from for that is a real mystery. We're only watching the top flight, there's another series below this where some of the teams participate.

 

Yeah for those who don't know, this is the last round of the World Endurance Championship, but only about half the teams run that.  The rest come from the Asian LeMans Series, the European LeMans series and the "Weathertech Sportscar Series" or "American LeMans series" for all intents.  You get automatic entries for winning any of those 3 and it'll count in your favour if you apply for an invite.  Technically LeMans is also open to one off entries, the only one of those in the race is the Keating Ford GT.

 

39 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Great drives by Toyota Gazoo, Signatech Alpine, AF Corse and Keating Mororsports. 

Good race but without some of the exciting finishes from previous editions. As always though, most of the race was very well worth staying awake all the hours. 

 

Heard mention this was the last year of the C7R but hopefully the legendary roar will return one last time.  My Le Mans experience will not be the same without it. 

 

Nordschleife and Spa next :)

 

It is the last C7R works entry yes, and the last front engined Corvette works entry.  There's no reason a private entry couldn't do a Keating if GM are willing to sell the thing, they've done in the past and GTE Am demands year old cars, which is why you saw a couple of the older Aston and less noticeably, the older Ferrari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.