rllmuk
ridgeracer

World Endurance Championship (WEC) Thread

43 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

Quest set to record, thanks.

I see the Toyota's are nearly 2 sec faster than anything else in LMP1 practice, I have never known a Le Mans where I am desperate for the lead team to lose ;)

Pablo Montoya has won Monaco and Indy500 correct?

Why can't he get a go in a Toyota and beat Alonso to the Triple?

I don't think he cares but the main reason right now is he's a Honda contracted driver.

Also, Montoya has embraced the American way of life to the full. I don't think he'd fit in a Toyota today ;) he barely gets his arse into the DPi.

The plan for the future of WEC is to have hypercars at the prototype p1 class, so A Honda NSX hypercar could see Jenson going for the triple crown. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know about the team but I'd be chucking whoever was in the 31 out of the event for that.  Rejoining at a blind location facing the wrong way without looking (and you can see directly across from where they are there)

To be fair the marshals didn't give him any warning that the Toyota was steaming up, and the toyota was steaming up because he didn't see any waved yellows. 

It was a bit 6 of one, half a dozen of t'other.

So I'm watching a dodgy stream because the WEC literally will not take my money.

The 99 has been withdrawn. They won't let Krohn drive, supposedly because injury but more likely because he's a bin man.

13 hours ago, Dudley said:

So I'm watching a dodgy stream because the WEC literally will not take my money.

The 99 has been withdrawn. They won't let Krohn drive, supposedly because injury but more likely because he's a bin man.

Somewhat relieved it wasn't Dalla Lana driving the Aston during it's crash. Sucks for Tracy, i know he isn't the tidiest driver out there but he pours a lot of love and money into the sport. Really admire his passion, he must be gutted.  

Competition in LMP2 should be really good and exciting. Cautiously chuffed about BOP looking...... actually balanced in GTE Pro. Let's hope it holds true for the race.

Must applaud Eursport for their coverage.  A bit more varied direction and the incredibly stable onboard camera's with their zoom and height adjustments are just spectacular. The way they can focus on a car coming through the Dunlop corners, Tertre Rouge and heading toward Hunaudieres/ Mulsanne is just poetry in motion. Those commercials though... 

12 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I think the Eurosport player is advert free isn't it ?

that and radio le mans cabin cam and your all set for the race :D

It hasn't been the times I've used it for LeMans, in fact that's why I went for the WEC stream last year and will do this time if their site works.

41 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Somewhat relieved it wasn't Dalla Lana driving the Aston during it's crash. Sucks for Tracy, i know he isn't the tidiest driver out there but he pours a lot of love and money into the sport. Really admire his passion, he must be gutted.  

The problem is, at this point people think Tracey Krohn-Crashes is his double barreled surname.

When was the last time there wasn't any GTE BOP drama on the friday before the race ? Even the Risi guys think they have a chance. 

Aston Martin confirmed for new hypercard regulations. Expecting a Toyota announcement soon. 

Bykolles are also confirmed for the hypercar class.

What that looks like is anyones guess. With Toyota I'd be expecting a heavily modified Supra, or a grubby deal involving the resurrection of the LFA....

Wonder if some other big manufacturers we haven't heard about in the rumours yet are considering an entry. I don't now much pride still exists in executive boardrooms but having that Toyota logo almost permanently plastered on the screen in HD during a racing event this big must surely hurt or at least sting a bit ? 

I would be amazed if McLaren and Ferrari don't go for this. It's precisely their bag to lure wealthy people to part with lots of money, and sell them an exclusive car in the process. Only 20 road going versions need to be made, can be a combo of hybrid and petrol or just plain petrol based powertrain, and the aero regs have largely been relaxed too. You could even enter your own Pagani Huayra and modify it to fit the regs in theory. 

I think I'd be looking to buy tickets for Silverstone 2021/22....

On 13/06/2019 at 13:47, marsh said:

Roberto Gonzalez, must have money and a high enough drivers license as he's won precisely fuck all.

Ugh, I remember he ran some CART races in the early 00’s and really wasn’t any use even then. Believe he had a significant budget behind him.

On the topic of Toyota, I don’t really bemoan their success really. They’ve tried damn hard at Le Mans for many years (the GT-One :wub:) and this time it seems like they’re keen on sticking around.

Also really interested in the Hypercar route they’re going. As marsh says, reckon Ferrari and McLaren will be up for it. Possibly Mercedes and Porsche too.

I was interested until they confirmed it'll be BoPed to fuck.

So basically it's just expensive GTE LM.

Edit : Which isn't to say I won't watch LeMans, but I don't currently see what this serves as a purpose over just giving up and making GTE the top class and getting a field of 62 across GTE Pro and GTE Am.

3 hours ago, marsh said:

Bykolles are also confirmed for the hypercar class.

What that looks like is anyones guess. With Toyota I'd be expecting a heavily modified Supra, or a grubby deal involving the resurrection of the LFA....

It's apparently based on the GR Super Sport.

Whatever the hell that is.

image.png.6cfff4fa0d59f589fe3b7ec4bc0a3e79.png

Bet it ends up looking nothing like that........though so far that's what they all seem to be looking like.

Be interesting to see how that BOP is enforced, the power is limited to 750hp or 500KW (or something like that) with freedom to piss around with the aero. So you'll have to dial the engine down as there's bound to be some clever aerodynamics involved...

I never realised but the Toyota hypercar concept actually has some 'Supra' in it. Especially the front/nose section. I do think it looks somewhat similar to the Glickenhaus concept but they both look rather different from AM"s Valkyrie. I think they all look stunning though. Read rumours about Oreca being interested in participating in Hypercar class as well. BOP is unfortunate but is there any other way really ? The only way to bypass BOP afaik is to have a single engine manufacturer and we already have a class for that. 

WEC season 2019/2020 entry list: 

Bit of a barren landscape in GTE Pro but the other classes should still be entertaining. 

2 hours ago, Sun Tze said:

I never realised but the Toyota hypercar concept actually has some 'Supra' in it. Especially the front/nose section. I do think it looks somewhat similar to the Glickenhaus concept but they both look rather different from AM"s Valkyrie. I think they all look stunning though. Read rumours about Oreca being interested in participating in Hypercar class as well. BOP is unfortunate but is there any other way really ? The only way to bypass BOP afaik is to have a single engine manufacturer and we already have a class for that.

The way to bypass BoP is to let the fastest car win in the top class of the World's most prestigious race for prototypes.  Because they're prototypes.

We already have a class for BoP, it's GTE.

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The way to bypass BoP is to let the fastest car win in the top class of the World's most prestigious race for prototypes.  Because they're prototypes.

We already have a class for BoP, it's GTE.

I agree but nobody has joined Toyota recently. I don't know what the manufacturers want and how much of the rule changes come from FIA/ACO and how much of it is on request by manufacturers tbh. 

Almost time, have a good race! Wouldn't mind another epic last lap battle against one of the Aston Martins this year. Let's go Corvette Racing. 

• Upvote 1