IGNORED

Why is this gen so rubbish?

sandman

I think it's fair to say that the gen has been weird compared to last gen when everything seemed to be firing in all cylinders in year one and two. So many new franchises that were fucking incredible like mass effect, gears and bioshock. Also little games like Geometric Wars. By comparison this gen has been shit I agree. But I still think there's potential. I think for example the inclusion of the share button was a real forward thinking move by Sony. This gen is all about streaming really. Still, I am really confused by how dry investment seems to be in game development by comparison.

Are you serious? The PS4 is selling faster than the PS2. Do you really think that represents the "gaming user base" moving towards PCs?

It's also worth remembering that the PS2 was slagged off something rotten for the first 12/18 months of it's life for having a chronically bad line-up. People now look back on it as the success it became, but it wasn't until GTA3 and the likes of DMC turned up that the criticism of that machine started to ease up.

Are you serious? The PS4 is selling faster than the PS2. Do you really think that represents the "gaming user base" moving towards PCs?

I think some console gamers would have moved to PC because console tech was getting so old (myself included) but have now moved back to PS4 because things look nice again and I they can't be asked to install and re-install drivers and other bullshit.

I'm happy that my Wii U has so many great games that I have more than enough stuff to play while I wait for the PS4 gets cheaper and a decent catalogue.

Best user name/post combo.

I guess this all depends on what games you like to play..

I feel like i've had a lot of gaming goodness since getting my PS4 in October 14.

I've played Shadow of Mordor, Last of us, GTA 5, Assassins Creed Unity, Watchdogs, Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, Bloodborne, Watchdogs, Infamous, amongst others, as well as a variety of PSN games which i would never have looked at before.

Not to mention the games i've been playing on the Wii U (Mainly Mariokart as it is so awesome)

Granted, not all these games are classics, hell, some of them were received quite badly, but I've had loads of fun with them, and dont regret any of them.

I love my PS4 - everytime i turn it on, i dont know which game to play, as i feel like i have a game to suit any appetite. I guess it depends on how im feeling at the time.

If you are fed up of gaming, then i guess it might be time to take a break from it, as i think its as good as its always been.

It's definitely true that 2015 is the first year proper for "next gen" with stuff like Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Arkham all ditching last gen consoles. So things are just getting started in that respect but there's other stuff which I like too; the rise and rise of indie games, video editing and streaming and overall faster and more stable/better integrated systems.

the programmers need to break free from how they " make " games.

If that makes sense?

Even some of the top end PC games look like HD versions of console games.

Bloodborne for example, is made very well, looks different, and is unique to the platform.

above, he said " buy a wii u "

only for Mario Kart though my matey! - whoever oversaw the production of Mario Kart hit the ball out of the park.

and thats the kind of production quality that can save the world.

Both were pretty fresh back in 2006, since games didn't really have stuff like "set pieces" in common parlance then, outside of Resident Evil 4. You're thinking of the series reputations that developed after everyone started riffing on and including the same cover shooter and "fleeing section" stuff in everything from Mass Effect to Thief to Hitman to Splinter Cell...

They might have felt fresh to some people, and were certainly before the deluge of copycats but at the time of release Uncharted was a boring as shit game where you shot hundreds of men from behind waist high walls. It wasn't innovative and they hadn't even stolen Half-Life's set pieces and jammed them in yet.

Gears I played for a few hours in co-op before getting testosterone fatigue.

Either way, they were games where men shot other men from a third person perspective. They weren't innovative in the least.

Because consoles have had their time?

Gaming used to mean PC gaming and with that came the problem of hardware. A game would be released and you'd need to upgrade the graphics card or change the processor and then six-twelve months later a new game would come out with a new Graphics card requirement so you always had expenditure.

Then came along the PS1 and Xbox. A console you could get good games for which would last for several years; no more hardware problems, not meeting minimum requirements and better yet, they were cheap compared to a PC. Fast forward to now and consoles have slowly increased in price as have the games but more importantly gaming PCs have become cheaper with less dependences on the latest games needing the latest card. Why spend £500 on a console when you can get a PC capable of playing you games and streaming them to Youtube or Twitch? PCs have become a more viable option which takes that gaming user base and it;s cash from the console market.

I find this such a weird post, because I think I'd disagree with every item in it. PC gaming came before consoles? This-gen consoles costing £500 and PCs cheaper than that? It's so weird.

Every game i see, uses the same bloody programming techniques.

Take something like Dying Light. - its a very good game. But just looks and feels very samey.

the graphics engine is the culprit probably.

Yeah but I guess games are just too costly to write an engine from the ground up for every single one.

There's certainly more variety in style though once you look away from AAA games.

I guess this all depends on what games you like to play..

I feel like i've had a lot of gaming goodness since getting my PS4 in October 14.

I've played Shadow of Mordor, Last of us, GTA 5, Assassins Creed Unity, Watchdogs, Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, Bloodborne, Watchdogs, Infamous, amongst others, as well as a variety of PSN games which i would never have looked at before.

This is my experience, too. I can see why people might be disappointed at the lack of exciting exclusives, but Alien: Isolation has already made my gaming year, anything after that is a bonus. I'd also understand why folk with capable P.Cs have been less than impressed, and I'm sure they'd scoff at my being amazed at how good Far Cry 4 looks on the PS4, but for me that was easily as potent as seeing Rapture for the first time.

The current indie focus on PS+ is something you either love or hate. Personally I find it interesting and very fresh. Initially I was in agreement with those berating Sony for the lack of 'big' games, but now the variety that each month brings is a big draw.

Some folk say that there's little difference over a PS3 or 360, but have you tried going back to those after sampling the new consoles? It's like your eyes are snagging on rusty razors.

I feel like I've misrepresented myself. I agree that this gem is shit, I just think last gen was also just as shit.

That's an incredibly bold statement. You really find nothing of worth in the last ten years?

Every game i see, uses the same bloody programming techniques.

Take something like Dying Light. - its a very good game. But just looks and feels very samey.

the graphics engine is the culprit probably.

indeed, programmers need to stop following the crowd.

I dunno. I think a lot of the issues with current development is costs and resourses and new techniques and engines would just add to that? I'm happy with games like Dying Light visually, I think changes need to come in terms of how games are structured. Dying Light as an example follows that Ubisoftesque template that whilst addictive in a chasing breadcrumbs way is ultimately lazy. I'd like to see things unfold and be led through a game in a more natural, less obvious YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEOGAME way.

This is my experience, too. I can see why people might be disappointed at the lack of exciting exclusives, but Alien: Isolation has already made my gaming year, anything after that is a bonus. I'd also understand why folk with capable P.Cs have been less than impressed, and I'm sure they'd scoff at my being amazed at how good Far Cry 4 looks on the PS4, but for me that was easily as potent as seeing Rapture for the first time.

The current indie focus on PS+ is something you either love or hate. Personally I find it interesting and very fresh. Initially I was in agreement with those berating Sony for the lack of 'big' games, but now the variety that each month brings is a big draw.

Some folk say that there's little difference over a PS3 or 360, but have you tried going back to those after sampling the new consoles? It's like your eyes are snagging on rusty razors.

Im curretly playing Far cry 4 now, and it looks amazing, doesnt it. Ok, its going to look better on PC, but so what? It looks amazing on my Samsung TV being played on a console, and thats good enough for me.

I'd like to see things unfold and be led through a game in a more natural, less obvious YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEOGAME way.

Yep, i agree with that.

Most games seem written for someone whos new to them!

there should be a choice at the first load-up have you played a shooty game before YES or NO

I'm kind of glad that there aren't too many good games around at the minute, because it meant I actually played Bloodborne. I never bothered with any of the Souls games because I thought I wouldn't enjoy them and there was plenty of other stuff out that I did enjoy.

I gave Bloodborne a go because it's literally the only thing out that seemed to be any good and I'm glad that I did. Once I'm done with it I don't know what I'll play next though.

Either way, they were games where men shot other men from a third person perspective. They weren't innovative in the least.

The answer is we need more games with men shooting women instead then, clearly.

I'm kind of glad that there aren't too many good games around at the minute, because it meant I actually played Bloodborne. I never bothered with any of the Souls games because I thought I wouldn't enjoy them and there was plenty of other stuff out that I did enjoy.

I gave Bloodborne a go because it's literally the only thing out that seemed to be any good and I'm glad that I did. Once I'm done with it I don't know what I'll play next though.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2.

That's an incredibly bold statement. You really find nothing of worth in the last ten years?

Not at all, I don't think this gen is too bad and there were obviously tonnes of great games last gen. But in terms of the lack of innovative, interesting new games I think that happened last gen. It feels a bit to me like people who have been happily hoovering up identikit shooting and driving games for ten years are suddenly saying they're boring, when they have been for years.

The OP genuinely seems to think that Mass Effect and Oblivion were interesting games, as opposed to drastically scaled down franchise entries with shiny graphics. The start of this gen is the same as the start of last gen.

Dunno why I bought a PS4. I mean, in the seven months I've had it, I've only played through Destiny, TLOU, Dragon Age, Diablo 3, Game of Thrones, Wolfenstein and GTAV.

Worthless piece of shit. A game a month. Pfft.

Hmmmm

I've played all them too, some substantially more than 7 months ago, but here's the thing I didn't need a PS4 to do so. My PS3 worked perfectly fine.

The gen overlap this time seems far longer and there has been a definite surfeit of oh my god must have games that are exclusive to the bone/PS4.

This will eventually right itself I'm sure but currently it doesn't seem to me that I'm missing that much but staying last gen with a WiiU chaser.

And no Bloodbourne doesn't sell me

Not at all, I don't think this gen is too bad and there were obviously tonnes of great games last gen. But in terms of the lack of innovative, interesting new games I think that happened last gen. It feels a bit to me like people who have been happily hoovering up identikit shooting and driving games for ten years are suddenly saying they're boring, when they have been for years.

The OP genuinely seems to think that Mass Effect and Oblivion were interesting games, as opposed to drastically scaled down franchise entries with shiny graphics. The start of this gen is the same as the start of last gen.

Innovative and interesting don't always go together, though. A game could be innovative, but posess gameplay systems so baffling that it would be considered curious over interesting.

It may sound like I'm trying to catch you on semantics, but that's not the case. Mass Effect, to take your example, used some well-worn systems but it was innovative in other respects. The dialogue options, for example. Being able to choose the general mood/thrust of your character's questions and responses, as opposed to just picking an entire response then hearing it voice acted, was for me as 'Ahhh, of course,' as the way that Half-Life started without immediate fighting. A small thing, but also a big thing.

Take Dying Light. On paper it's just a refinement of the Dead Island formula, it even still contains weak points of that game such as the shooting, but Techland pull it off with such panache that it feels like what they were aiming for with the original games. Innovative? Nope. Even the praised parkour was mostly nicked from Mirror's Edge. Interesting? I would say so. It held my attention entirely until completion, and Dying Light isn't a short game.

Because Persona 5 isn't out yet. ;)

But really, after I got my PS4 I spent a whole lot of time either playing Destiny or GTAV, neither of which were big next-gen things, just cross-gen things with a bit of polish. From what I've played so far (in the middle of a second playthrough) Bloodborne is the first essential game exclusive to this generation, but then I'm so wrapped up in it that I'm not really bothered about a lack of other games being released. :)