Why is this gen so rubbish?

I think I'd feel a little short-changed this gen, if it hadn't been for the fact there's been a few great titles that have kept me busy. And i realise that sounds a little redundant ("this gen has had no games, except the games I've played loads") but the bulk of the titles out to date have been same old shit. Assassin's Creed. Watch Dogs. Infamous. Call of Duty. Last-gen up-ports.

Even one of the big multi-platform forum darlings (Shadow of Mordor) is basically Assassin's Creed with Orcs and procedural bosses.

So yeah,I guess I kinda see where the OP is coming from. But I don't agree.

Destiny. Diablo. Bloodborne. Forza. Titanfall. They all seem to have been very well-loved, even if most of them you can get on the last gen too. And the Wii U has an obviously strong line-up. So yeah, maybe it hasn't started amazingly strong. And maybe big dev is too limited in ambition and risk to get back to heady heights. But I've had loads to play.

He didn't say new franchises.

He heavily implied it though:

Where is the new Bioshock, Oblivion, Uncharted, Gears, Mass Etfect etc, all games that came out early in the history of the last gen.

I look at the upcoming releases and very little appeals to me and even less surprises me. Is console gaming too safe now with its endless remakes of games barely two years old? Where are the exciting new games?

I suspect the OP is asking where the comparable new franchises/IP's are rather than asking for sequels to those named.

But, yeah, Bloodborne is absolutely essential. Best game of this console generation so far, by a very long distance....

I've had my PS4 since October, and I think it's been pretty great. Obviously, tastes will differ, but in those seven months just two games have proven the system's worth to me - Destiny and Bloodborne. You can get Destiny on last-gen, of course, but it neither looks as good nor functions as well (the latest patch introduces some system mechanics that work less effectively on PS3/360 as Bungie say they're not up to scratch to implement them fully - minor stuff, perhaps, but a taste of things to come, esp with Destiny 2).

Of course, you might think Destiny is shit. You might even think Bloodborne is. But, respectively, they've given me the sorts of pleasure that PSO and RE4 gave, and of a similar sort of quality, for the first time since those august titles appeared. So basically I have a console that runs next-gen PSO and RE4 in the first half-year of my ownership. Regardless of anything else - and I have been having fun with some of the PS+ games, and have barely touched Alien: Isolation even though it's so obviously great - that makes it one of the most satisfying platforms I've ever owned. And they're all new IP. So if you want to run Destiny in shit-o-vision with increasingly curbed functionality, Alien on a PC (in which case you'll rightly love that PC, I guess), and Bloodborne not at all, you'll probably think this gen is indeed rubbish. But in all honesty, for me it's been way better in my first half-year of ownership than the last one. And I'm not counting any One or WiiU exclusives there.

I dunno. Overall, there is too much repackaging / up-rezzing of last gen titles going on across PS4 and One - I'd agree with that. But for me, just having two must-have games, both new IPs (Bloodborne is very different in many keys ways - most notably combat and aesthetic - from the Souls games) is more than enough to justify my moving to the platform.

Nice dodge.

It's not a dodge though is it?

I assumed by him listing a bunch of franchises asking where the new versions were he was talking about those existing franchises.

Why would I try to dodge the issue anyway? I don't own this generation of gaming.

Bioshock was ages after release right?

The new Oblivion is taking longer but Bethesda will be along with that same game again soon, just like the were with Oblivion.

RPGs are pretty dead but BioWare are making something new.

Uncharted and Gears were derivative shit without anything unusual or interesting going for them. There's plenty of boring as shit cover shooters starring boring men with guns on the new platforms, you're just not as fond of them as you are the identical crap you're being nostalgic about.

The temporary solution for PS4/Bone owners is get a WiiU.

My PS4 gets used all the time, but apart from some lighting effects in Killzone at launch there's been bugger all so far that I wouldn't have been just as pleased with on PS3.

Having said that, for the first two years of PS2 ownership the best games I played were Yakuza 2, Okami and FFXII.

Things can only get better.

article-2305628-0F0FF31900000578-767_634

Bioshock was ages after release right?

August 2007, so first year.

Uncharted and Gears were derivative shit without anything unusual or interesting going for them.

Both were pretty fresh back in 2006, since games didn't really have stuff like "set pieces" in common parlance then, outside of Resident Evil 4. You're thinking of the series reputations that developed after everyone started riffing on and including the same cover shooter and "fleeing section" stuff in everything from Mass Effect to Thief to Hitman to Splinter Cell...

If we’re comparing it to the last-gen, then we’re still in that post-launch period where nothing came out, Xbox 360 mags resembled late-period Amiga magazines in terms of how desperately they were trying to fill space, and the forum was full of people telling themselves and each other that The Outfit and Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie were the absolute pinnacles of gaming and totally justified the outlay.

IIRC, Uncharted, Halo 3, Bioshock, Crackdown, Mass Effect, and Call of Duty 4 (i.e. pretty much the point where the last gen properly started) all came out a couple of years after launch. And it’s not been so bad so far – we’ve had Bloodborne, Driveclub, Dying Light, Alien: Isolation, Destiny & Ori & the Blind Forest. Coming up, we’ve got Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture, The Division, Superhot, Quantum Break, etc. Things look OK to me.

I love Uncharted but even I find it hard to argue that it's original. It was highly derivative of Gears and other cover shooters, not to mention Tomb Raider. It's a brilliant series but it was an evolution of what had gone before.

Cover shooters were not really an established genre in 2007. Gears was the first game to really do it well, and Uncharted followed not too long after. I don't think it's fair to categorise Uncharted as having copied GoW, the former was in development well before the latter game came out.

IIRC, Uncharted, Halo 3, Bioshock, Crackdown, Mass Effect(i.e. pretty much the point where the last gen properly started) all came out a couple of years after launch.

Launch aligned, all these are out or come out in the next three or four months.

Two years. Besides, there was nothing original about Bioshock.

Look man, you can't dis-allow Bioshock for being a spiritual sequel to System Shock and then champion Bloodborne, a spiritual sequel to Shadow Tower Abyss in the same thread.

Rogue Trooper came out during the PS2 era and did cover shooting well, then there's the first Killzone. It didn't feel fresh to me when Gears came out, which couldn't have been more clichéd in tone, but was technically one of the first proper next gen experiences, as was Uncharted. But you know, game play wise they weren't really pushimg the envelope.

Because it is. I have a bone and a ps4 yet almost exclusively play on my 360 and PS3. I know that Bloodborne is brilliant, but i'm 20 years too old to have the time and reflexes to commit to it.

What else is there? Destiny is incredibly addictive, but after 25 hours I was out as it is also very repetitive. Far cry 4 was ok I suppose, unity was annoying it's cumbersome attempts to add in game purchases that spoilt the experience. And two of those are on old gen consoles as well and its the old gen that got the better assassins creed game last Xmas.

Where is the new Bioshock, Oblivion, Uncharted, Gears, Mass Etfect etc, all games that came out early in the history of the last gen.

I look at the upcoming releases and very little appeals to me and even less surprises me. Is console gaming too safe now with its endless remakes of games barely two years old? Where are the exciting new games?

It sounds like you're just old. Have you tried getting an allotment?

Reading this thread and seeing all the games mentioned makes me wish I could say stuff like "I've got nothing to play!" or "There aren't any games out!". I mean I'd rather have more time then anything as I'm currently playing:

• CSGO (obviously)
  • Wolfenstein The Old Blood
  • Mortal Kombat 9 (bought the complete edition last year but barely touched it, trying to get some more play time in before buying MKX)
  • DmC (reinstalled this week and trying to finish it on the highest difficulty)
  • Skyrim
  • Grey Goo
  • Cities Skylines
  • Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
  • and more!

I can't complain.

Actually it's pretty depressing really. Don't even own a Wii U yet.

Look man, you can't dis-allow Bioshock for being a spiritual sequel to System Shock and then champion Bloodborne, a spiritual sequel to Shadow Tower Abyss in the same thread.

Fair point but I'm not arguing that this gen is rubbish, or that it lacks originality or whatever. I don't expect every game to cause a paradigm shift in the way Minecraft did. I'm happy with smaller innovations and general all round improvements. Which, for me, this gen has provided.

I absolutely believe that this has been a rubbish generation so far but I'm having so much fun with my rations of Mario Kart 8 and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare that I just don't care.

And if Splatoon delivers similar levels of addiction, the rest of the 2015 release schedule can do one.

Launch aligned, all these are out or come out in the next three or four months.

We've already had Driveclub, Bloodborne, Destiny, and Titanfall. They're all amazing games, not based on existing franchises.

Rogue Trooper came out during the PS2 era and did cover shooting well, then there's the first Killzone. It didn't feel fresh to me when Gears came out, which couldn't have been more clichéd in tone, but was technically one of the first proper next gen experiences, as was Uncharted. But you know, game play wise they weren't really pushimg the envelope.

Rogue Trooper came out in the same year and about six months before Gears of War. Gears is slightly hard done-by I think in terms of pretty much inventing a genre - cover shooters were on the way for a long time, but Gears was the game that pretty much perfected the controls and the aiming, and it was the one that everyone copied afterwards.

It gets a bad rap because of the endless me-too games, the lacklustre sequels, and the relentless bro-ness of it all, but at the time it was a really impressive piece of work.

We've already had Driveclub, Bloodborne, Destiny, and Titanfall. They're all amazing games, not based on existing franchises.

And half of them are last gen titles, unlike the list in the OP.

Not saying no-one can have fun with the games released, but comparing the line-ups the trend is obvious and surely we're mature enough to acknowledge it?

Nice dodge. We have a weird problem on here with people denying reality, thinking that if they don't acknowledge something it somehow doesn't exist. So I think it's worthwhile to call that out.

There's still people on here denying budgets went up from the PS2 generation to the PS3 one a few weeks ago, despite this being widely acknowledged by the entirety of the industry and media about five years ago.

And half of them are last gen titles, unlike the list in the OP.

Not saying no-one can have fun with the games released, but comparing the line-ups the trend is obvious and surely we're mature enough to acknowledge it? Or not, maybe.

I dunno. Maybe the post-launch fallow period will be three years this time. I think this time round we've been a bit unlucky in that some of the high-profile next-gen stuff has been flat out bobbins (i.e. The Order) or a bit average (Sunset Overdrive, Infamous: Second Son). Not sure if that means there's a trend; ask me again in a year's time.

Because it is. I have a bone and a ps4 yet almost exclusively play on my 360 and PS3. I know that Bloodborne is brilliant, but i'm 20 years too old to have the time and reflexes to commit to it.

What else is there? Destiny is incredibly addictive, but after 25 hours I was out as it is also very repetitive. Far cry 4 was ok I suppose, unity was annoying it's cumbersome attempts to add in game purchases that spoilt the experience. And two of those are on old gen consoles as well and its the old gen that got the better assassins creed game last Xmas.

Because consoles have had their time?

Gaming used to mean PC gaming and with that came the problem of hardware. A game would be released and you'd need to upgrade the graphics card or change the processor and then six-twelve months later a new game would come out with a new Graphics card requirement so you always had expenditure.

Then came along the PS1 and Xbox. A console you could get good games for which would last for several years; no more hardware problems, not meeting minimum requirements and better yet, they were cheap compared to a PC. Fast forward to now and consoles have slowly increased in price as have the games but more importantly gaming PCs have become cheaper with less dependences on the latest games needing the latest card. Why spend £500 on a console when you can get a PC capable of playing you games and streaming them to Youtube or Twitch? PCs have become a more viable option which takes that gaming user base and it;s cash from the console market.