IGNORED

Why is this gen so rubbish?

sandman

Because it is. I have a bone and a ps4 yet almost exclusively play on my 360 and PS3. I know that Bloodborne is brilliant, but i'm 20 years too old to have the time and reflexes to commit to it.

What else is there? Destiny is incredibly addictive, but after 25 hours I was out as it is also very repetitive. Far cry 4 was ok I suppose, unity was annoying it's cumbersome attempts to add in game purchases that spoilt the experience. And two of those are on old gen consoles as well and its the old gen that got the better assassins creed game last Xmas.

Where is the new Bioshock, Oblivion, Uncharted, Gears, Mass Etfect etc, all games that came out early in the history of the last gen.

I look at the upcoming releases and very little appeals to me and even less surprises me. Is console gaming too safe now with its endless remakes of games barely two years old? Where are the exciting new games?

I know, right?

I've recently put the 360 AND the ps3 back under the telly and have been on those instead of my bone and ps4.

And it's not like I've run out of things to play on either of the new platforms.

Maybe I should get a wiiU?

I know, right?

I've recently put the 360 AND the ps3 back under the telly and have been on those instead of my bone and ps4.

And it's not like I've run out of things to play on either of the new platforms.

Maybe I should get a wiiU?

If garageband is anything to go by, you've certainly not run out of things to play :)

Project CARS and DiRT rally have come out this week. both err towards the hardcore sim. So no, playing it safe is hardly relevent this week (both would have been deemed too hardcore last gen).

I don't suppose he plays racing games.

If you're after a next gen RPG (Oblivion-esque) then things are looking fine at the moment. Dragon Age Inquisition is good and The Witcher 3 is out in a couple of weeks and looks like it'll be even better. The former (and possibly the latter) may be available on previous gen but they're subpar experiences so I wouldn't really count them.

You'd be surprised at Bloodborne. The Souls games have never been as hard as people make them out to be, it's just about patience and not being greedy (and even that has been lessened somewhat by Bloodborne's health regen mechanic). There's very little there that requires super fast reactions so "I'm too old for this" doesn't really stand. Jeff (from Giant Bomb) has been playing it once a week (generally over the weekend) and is making good progress, so it's definitely possible. I think he's killed 5 or 6 bosses now and is a decent chunk of the way in.

I find it strange that you're bemoaning the lack of new, exciting games when all you seem to want is sequels and safe IPs.

You misunderstood him I think. What he meant is that those were new IPs at the time (released relatively early in the consoles life) and we've been lacking in those on the next gen consoles so far.

If you're after a next gen RPG (Oblivion-esque) then things are looking fine at the moment. Dragon Age Inquisition is good and The Witcher 3 is out in a couple of weeks and looks like it'll be even better. The former (and possibly the latter) may be available on previous gen but they're subpar experiences so I wouldn't really count them.

The Witcher 3 is definitely not old-gen

LOL. Relate to what you are saying! Had both PS4 and XBO and sold both early this year. Don't miss either. I think I'm at the point now where PS4/XBO AAA games aren't doing anything for me anymore. So kept my PS3 for the odd blast on some of the older games and watching media on and have a Wii U. Even the Wii U has been sat recently (mainly bought it for Zelda and Mario anyway) but its a great pick up and play console that is fun.

Have my PC which I use for work and has plenty of racers on it and much more variety of cheap games should I want to dip in now and again.

EDIT : Not to say I didn't appreciate the new consoles but after around 2-3 months they weren't getting used so decided to re-coup some money. Might buy one again at some point if something that interests me comes to them but not at the moment. They'll keep getting cheaper which is a bonus. Probably cave in should Polyphony do something interesting with Gran Turismo 7 though....

It has taken me a while to get into this generation but Destiny was the kick up the backside I needed, I've been enjoying my PS4 since it came out. I decided to only get one machine this generation. By limiting my choice I play what I own more & don't fall into the trap of buying titles to look pretty sat on a shelf that I don't have time to play.

One game at a time (excluding Destiny which is always ongoing) is my strategy now, I completed Wolfenstein New Order, Peggle 2, MGSV Ground Zeroes, Knack, Shadow of Mordor, CounterSpy & currently playing AC Unity.

There is lots to look forward to this year in new releases like Batman, Star Wars, No Mans Sky, Project Cars, Witcher 3, MGSV Phantom Pain, Mad Max & lots more. Apart from No Mans Sky which I will be buying on release I'm happy to stick to my one game at a time. After I've finished AC Unity I think I will probably get Batman or Project Cars.

On top of all of the above are the stackful of PS+ games (FIVE next month !!) that I need to enjoy but for me personally Destiny & the RLLMUK destiny thread has been the one game that has started this generation for me.

I don't want to be that guy, telling you to ignore your first impression and go back to BB. I realise you're making a general point about breadth of choice rather than a specific game. But...

It's worth taking another look at Bloodborne. I'm as old and slow as anyone. I bounced off Demon and Dark Souls for similar reasons. I regret it.

It's really good. Doable so far with a bit of patience. I'm 40+ hours in. If I can do it, you can.

It's like saying there's not been much out on GameCube lately except RE4, and I'm not playing that because you can't aim and run. Friends don't let friends make that sort of mistake.

I can safely say since I bought my X1 last October, I have not plugged in or booted up my 360. In fact only recently have I had the urge to return to it at all, purely because I feel a DMC binge coming on.

In general agreement and there's a severe lack of interesting titles, indie stuff aside. With games costing more to make less risks are taken and everything is cookie cutter, playtested to oblivion, zero challenge boredom.

Will the Witcher 3 have actually good combat? And I mean actually good as in Souls/action game good.

Yea I don't think I've played anything on my 360 or PS3 since this gen has come out. There is so much to play, especially if you include the Indy and PS+ / Games on Gold, the graphics are far better (I'm not a PC gamer), the controllers are far better.

I've already got a pile of shame for both consoles, both physical and digital, to play through if I found the time outside of my regular games, and I can't see that changing as this year progresses.

You're obviously jaded.

Personally speaking I still love my hobby and I'm enjoying games more than I ever have done I think. In fact, I've not got enough time, there's just too much stuff to play!

I was pretty bored of gaming as a whole at the end of the last gen. I never played online and maybe finished one game in the entire time I'd been living with mates. Then I bought an XBone and it's gotten me back into my favourite hobby in a way I'd have never expected. I've managed to convince 4 mates to buy them and now, for the first time since uni really, there's a dedicated squad of 5 of us on Battlefield 4 every night.

When that's not happening I've got Dark Souls 2, Forza Horizon, Master Chief Collection and many others to play through. I love the machine and really cannot understand all this talk of "the shit generation" with games like Witcher 3 and Batman coming out just this summer.

For me, it's a very exciting time to be a gamer basically.

I've always got more stuff than I've got time to play (PS4) after the first six months which admittedly were slim pickings, other than Resogun and Outlast (which were free!) I binged on CoD Ghosts Multiplayer until Last of Us came out last August, since then I've had loads to get into, the Hotline Miamis and Velocity 2X for my indie fix and finished Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein, Far Cry 4, Ground Zeroes, GTA V, Alien Isolation, Driveclub, Shadow of Mordor, in fact Christmas had loads of good games, I've only bought Hotline Miami 2 , Bloodborne and Mortal Kombat X this year and I haven't even started Bloodborne proper as I've put tons of time into MKX...Batman's around the corner then august onwards Mad Max , Witcher, No Man's Sky, E3 is around the corner no doubt with a ton of new game announcements...I've got Wolfenstein The Old Blood (physical) on the way next week so there's plenty to play. I haven't turned my 360 on in over a year, the horribly slow UI, long loading times and having being spoilt by 1080p and the majority of games running super smooth I find it quite difficult to go back.

He's right there's a lack of big interesting new franchises. I don't even see how that's in contention.

Well you only have yourselves to blame for that. You didn't buy enough of Life is Strange, Titanfall and Dishonored.