rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SeanR

The Apprentice 2015

Although it was good that Joe won, it was also a bit of a swizz.

His business plan in the last episode was entirely based around creating a franchise plumbing business. In the final, all that was completely gone, and his business plan is now to buy some new vans, tools and hire more plumbers.

What a crock.

Also, the whole business of this mystical 'smart technology' that was the key to Joseph's success is presumably coming from some magic multi-million pound pot that is unconnected to the piddling £250K that Shugsy is ponying up.

How come Vana wasn't allowed to dip in to that magic pot herself?

Joe's business had a chance of making money based on the initial investment. Vana's didn't. I don't think there's anything to it other than that.

There was no way Vana was ever going to win - that was obvious from the minute she mentioned 'Venture Capitalist'.

Joseph's website is here: http://www.impragas.co.uk/- it says registered in 2012 - what's that about? Or is it literally the same business as before but just having a new shareholder?

Also, the whole business of this mystical 'smart technology' that was the key to Joseph's success is presumably coming from some magic multi-million pound pot that is unconnected to the piddling £250K that Shugsy is ponying up.

How come Vana wasn't allowed to dip in to that magic pot herself?

Joseph's "smart tech" was mostly a booking app. Which probably is cheap enough to make- they can *could* make one for £30,000 - £60,000. The problem was that Vana couldn't make it into a profit making app with Sugar's money. Joseph could, and then reinvest in better smart tech.

Joe's business had a chance of making money based on the initial investment. Vana's didn't. I don't think there's anything to it other than that.

Of course. It's just that his business had zero chance of making money as pitched in the previous episode, as a franchise business is nothing like a plumbing business, and the USP that supposedly won the investment in the final episode is not possible with that same investment.

If you invest £250k in expanding a successful plumbing business with new tools, vans and engineers you'll see a return, guaranteed. As that wasn't how it was presented at all, it serves to illustrate neatly that the whole thing is, as always, a total crock.

Joseph's "smart tech" was mostly a booking app. Which probably is cheap enough to make- they can *could* make one for £30,000 - £60,000. The problem was that Vana couldn't make it into a profit making app with Sugar's money. Joseph could, and then reinvest in better smart tech.

No it wasn't. He specifically said 'I envision using smart technology to be able to run your bath from your phone.' A booking app isn't a revolutionary USP, unless we are back in 2010 all of a sudden. To do anything more sophisticated than create a booking app runs into the realm of home automation, and that's when you are in magic money territory.

It's bullshit, pure and simple.

He said in the interview he would use the money to buy more equipment, vans, and hire more people. That's what the money is going on.

Once again, if you imply 'some time in the future' you are talking bullshit, magic money, technology that somehow just occurs...BULLSHIT.

I've got no problem with the investment going on expanding the business in the most traditional way since the concept of business was invented, but to pretend it's about anything else treats the audience as fools.

I think it was pretty clear than smart tech was a last minute add on, and that Sugar invested in him for the general buisness expansion.

Maybe Sirloin just had a sticky tap he needed fixing in the docklands penthouse and buying a plumbing company was cheaper than the christmas call out fee.

Although it was good that Joe won, it was also a bit of a swizz.

His business plan in the last episode was entirely based around createing a franchise plumbing business. In the final, all that was completely gone, and his business plan is now to buy some new vans, tools and hire more plumbers.

What a crock.

While I agree that the model of his business completely changed, it was still the only viable business choice and will very likely see a profitable return.

While I agree that the model of his business completely changed, it was still the only viable business choice and will very likely see a profitable return.

Obviously. He should have picked him in week one and saved everyone's time.

I don't think Sugar would have picked Josephs out of all the candidates.

If Richard didn't fuck it up, i think he would have won.

Wasn't Richard's idea basically exactly the same as last years winner though? I could see Richard losing simply because Alan Sugar didn't want another digital marketing company.

They decide the finalists before they do any filming. Anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts.

"I can control my bath from an app on my Amstrad eM@iler phone!"

*turn on bath*

*kettle boils*

*kettle explodes*

No it wasn't. He specifically said 'I envision using smart technology to be able to run your bath from your phone.'

Baths you can control from your phone already exist. This type of technology is nothing new, so surely he was just talking about branching out to install it rather than trying to invent it.

Exactly - it's not in anyway a USP, it's what everyone else already can offer. But to fit The Apprentice Bullshit Logic, he was positioning it as something new that he could offer uniquely with Sugar's investment, meaning that he was not offering an existing product, but a new product.

So it's in the realm of complete fantasy, and the decision to invest in him and his 'smart technology' as being more viable than Vana's equally fanciful exponential growth was no more based in reality than if he'd just said 'I have no clue what smart technology means'.

The whole thing would have been more honest if Sugar had said he was convinced to invest by Joseph's hand waving technology. The truth is that Joseph has a proven business model - plumbing. But the whole show would have looked like a huge joke if the end of that process means that Sugar is buying a plumber more vans, so they dressed it up in smart technology bullshit.

Of course, it still ended up looking like a huge joke, and the show has done ever since they ditched the job for the 'business plan'.

So, just to confirm I didn't miss anything... The last few months have basically resulted in Lord Sugar investing quarter of a million in a preexisting plumbing business which offers nothing significantly different from other such businesses?

The reason for firing Richard was because he had a pre existing COMPETING business which he part owned and wouldn't be giving up. But really it was the fact that this just added to the whole tricky dicky thing

• Upvote 1