rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Yoshimax

Dirt Rally

I bought an f2 kit car last night. The Pugeot 306 maci front wheel drive . I don't know if it's the vr or what but it's incredibly easy to drive and very stable on the road.

i would kill at this game if I had a wheel.

I assume this is the same on the PS but with PC VR there's an option to turn head bob on/off, I think it's supposed to mimic how your head/body would bounce up and down in real life as car is thrown around. I highly recommend you turn it off.

• Upvote 1

Having a nightmare with the vr tonight.

black screens, sound disappearing and when I took the headset off I realised the tv screen was going all funny like  a really really bad VHS tape banding effect.

Turn the VR off and its back to normal. Beta firmware eh.

2 hours ago, Sponge said:

I assume this is the same on the PS but with PC VR there's an option to turn head bob on/off, I think it's supposed to mimic how your head/body would bounce up and down in real life as car is thrown around. I highly recommend you turn it off.

Yeah, I think I saw something along those lines. Probably would help.

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Having a nightmare with the vr tonight.

black screens, sound disappearing and when I took the headset off I realised the tv screen was going all funny like  a really really bad VHS tape banding effect.

Turn the VR off and its back to normal. Beta firmware eh.

you got dhcp turned on?

28 minutes ago, Thread Astaire said:

you got dhcp turned on?

Yeah? Strangely I eyeballed that as a cause...

I played extensively tonight. I do wish there was better AA on the game but maybe that's just down to the shadow resolution.

Going downhill is quite a buzz though.

I do find the colour a bit strange too.

I dived into some Driveclub to see the difference and I would say Dirt looks much like Driveclub but the first 50% including the car internals is much clearer.

I also noticed a number of glitches. Funny frame rate issues on some tracks and a graphical glitch during replays.

Why is it you can't record videos of this game?

played some more in PSVR tonight with a wheel this time, I like it, going over jumps and stuff is cool :D sickness front for me was ok except when looking sideways, or crashing - the reduced vision when crashing is probably helping me. it's strange driving from the in car view, probably going slower than normal because of that. turned the in-game steering wheel off because the bit of centre line jittering about was distracting me. head didn't seem to be bobbing about so maybe that setting is off by default. 

think i'm preferring the graphics to driveclub vr so far because all the stages i've tried have been in the daylight so quite easy to make out the road ahead, hope the night stages hold up. think when i tried driveclub it was mainly at night, need to try that again with some more well lit events.

Scoffed a couple of motion sickness pills a little while ago............I'm going in

11 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Yeah? Strangely I eyeballed that as a cause...

Yeh. I turned mine off as it was causing short cut out - or so I read. Have to switch it on for YouTube so it's no biggie having it off. 

I'm using bumper-cam on this and so far it's great. I think it looks night and day better than Driveclub. There is just so much more detail on the road itself and the scenery too. I'd love it if more games had a upgrade route for VR. 

So I finally got this set up with VR and my wheel.

OH MY GOD. Will report back more when I've played more. If F1 2017 isn't VR I am going to go to Birmingham and burn down codies HQ.*

*may be a lie.

• Upvote 2

I find that VR lets you see the road dips so much better which allows you to really make use of them.

Totally recommend an F2 Kit car to anyone who is struggling to keep on the track.

I can report the pills worked!!!

Had a long session without the spewk sensations.

Doing alright too.

I still get in hell of a mess if I leave the road/track!

Can never find the return to track button and sometimes the wheel is upside down when I restart, causes all manner of swearing.

Might have to try to find a setting to shorten the lock to lock distance (if there is one).

• Upvote 1

That burka vision they put in to stop you feeling sick pisses me no end. I was looking to turn it off because it actually stops me seeing things at critical moments.

is there an option?

13 hours ago, Space Monkey said:

I've been playing this and RBR a lot on the Vive, you should give the bumper cam view a try if it's available. I don't know why it should but the view feels very comfortable in VR once you get used to it.  Improves your times too.

cheers i'll give it a try. usually i'll use chase cam but so far i've been trying to stick to the in car view for VR as it seems like it should be more authentic. the car i've been driving has a wooden dash and a pencil holder. bonus.

played some more today - really enjoying it, did the first championship with the slow cars, looking at what to buy for the next one.

9 hours ago, Pug said:

Might have to try to find a setting to shorten the lock to lock distance (if there is one).

yeah you should be able to do this - i think there is an option in game (not 100% sure on this mind), and depending on what wheel you have you can probably do it on there too. i usually have mine set to 270 or 360.

• Upvote 1

Held off playing this until I could do it in vr and pleased I did . Really really immersive . VR in car with a wheel really pisses all over any other method of playing 

• Upvote 1

Turn off the head bob (comfort setting). With that off the cockpit is stable to your head and it doesn't move around like that.

• Upvote 2

I had the most outrageous calibration/drift issues when trying some rallycross races. I ended up facing my left window and the camera wouldn't recalibrate in-game. It's been faultless in the other modes.

27 minutes ago, Sponge said:

Turn off the head bob (comfort setting). With that off the cockpit is stable to your head and it doesn't move around like that.

This. I found vr really odd in this game at first and it was due to this setting. With it turned off it's more like project cars where you feel like you're attached to the car, as you should.  The setting is on by default as it's supposed to help with motion sickness. It made me feel worse though as it was so unnatural. 

Sticking the car to you head is madness.

I just tried it. When you drive you focused on the road, with the default setting turned off the road is bouncing about all over the place, it's awful!

Bumper cam is also madness in VR. In the normal game I never come out of it but in VR the environment map scrolling across a bonnet is really distracting.

Just tried it in VR, but I'm not really decided on which mode is best. I prefer bonnetcam/bumpercam to the in-car view I think, as the latter feels pretty constrained, just like you're in the backseat looking through a very small front window. But maybe I can recalibrate for that. Graphically it looks a lot better than Driveclub as the lighting and contrast is so much more vivid. And I didn't feel too good after about 30 minutes of play, but that'll probably be fixed after some getting used to.

@Napole0n

How far back the view is depends on the car you're driving, in a modern wrc car the driver sits quite far back to help weight distribution, so the view in vr will reflect this. In group A cars and earlier the seating position is much more like a normal car. 

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Sticking the car to you head is madness.

I just tried it. When you drive you focused on the road, with the default setting turned off the road is bouncing about all over the place, it's awful!

Bumper cam is also madness in VR. In the normal game I never come out of it but in VR the environment map scrolling across a bonnet is really distracting.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but my head isn't stuck to the car, and I easily follow the road with, well, my head. Like I would do in a real car. But with the setting turned on my head floats around unnaturally as if my chair is mounted to great big soft springs which bounce and sway with every bump. It's very unnatural movement.

Take a look at the video I posted a page or two back, that's with the setting turned off. Is that what you mean by road bouncing about all over the place?

Edit: hang on, are you talking about bonnet/bumper cam in VR? If so, yes, that's madness.

• Upvote 1

This thing is glorious, end of. I just want higher resolution dammit! The level of immersion is so many times higher than any other game I've played it's laughable. 

I really hope this makes codies a lot of money. We need more games of this quality to be made. One of my fears with VR is that it becomes a bit of an unsupported curio. I want it to take off big time so we get bigger and better quicker.

• Upvote 2

In the settings you can configure the dpad (or any buttons) to adjust the in car view, so you can go nearer/further to the dash and up and down, also side to side if you want......

These buttons are not set as default, so just have a look at your controls and it is listed as unassigned VR head up, down etc...

Been playing pretty much all day, no sickness, but not yet had any VR sickness and i have played most VR games, just lucky. 

This is the standout game for me tho. With a wheel and Playseat it is just an amazing experience, bravo Codies, thanks very much.

• Upvote 2