Dirt Rally

Yoshimax

15 hours ago, Beezer said:

Tip for the first course: when he says flat out, don't go flat out. :o

Always keep an eye on the road, no matter the notes. When you don't feel comfortable going flat out, don't do it.

14 hours ago, Beezer said:

What rubbish. McSpeed has chosen a beginner-friendly class / location combo here. I recommend a balls to the wall approach.

Cheers. Sweden isn't easy, but surprisingly forgiving - it's nigh impossible to eliminate yourself because the snow banks will often catch a spin.

14 hours ago, Junker said:

Hi, I've put a request in to join the league, JUNKERDENB . Not played this game for a fair few months so this could be very bad...

Accepted!

Same goes for 'Marshall100'.

3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I'm up for this!  @McSpeed, have you created the event for all platforms?

I sure have :)

17 hours ago, Beezer said:

What rubbish. McSpeed has chosen a beginner-friendly class / location combo here. I recommend a balls to the wall approach.

Was joking / sarcastic! It's not beginner-friendly at all! Sorry, I'm not very good at the internet.

1 minute ago, Beezer said:

Was joking! It's not beginner-friendly at all!

It should be! Honestly, Sweden is one of the more forgiving rallies in there.

The Audi Quattro and MG Metro are a bit easier to control though. The RS200 can be tricky as fuck.

The RS200 is a heavy beast too, it's not going to be easy to slow down if you discover you're going a bit too quick.  By the time you discover that in this game you're usually in the air/upside down/wrapped round a tree so it probably won't make that much difference.

Quattro is the beginner car from that set- Engine out in front makes it a good deal more stable than the others.

Metro Has the advantage of being naturally aspirated sp you don;t get caught out when the Turbo kicks in.

RS200 Has the mid-engined twitchiness, of the 6R4, coupled with a turbo engine - it's going to be the most chellenging to drive.

Of course the most important consideration is: the Audi sounds the best by miles.

6 minutes ago, RFT said:

Of course the most important consideration is: the Audi sounds the best by miles.

Love your comparison there :) Agree with the Quattro sounding distinctively best - being a 5 cilinder. That that, the Ford's growly turbo 4 and the MG's V6 snarl are quite enjoyable, too.

You in for the league?

21 minutes ago, RFT said:

Quattro is the beginner car from that set- Engine out in front makes it a good deal more stable than the others.

Metro Has the advantage of being naturally aspirated sp you don;t get caught out when the Turbo kicks in.

RS200 Has the mid-engined twitchiness, of the 6R4, coupled with a turbo engine - it's going to be the most chellenging to drive.

That's perfect. You've just taken me back to my top 3 cars when I was growing up. All dream cars

i've an idea for the rally, as it seems pretty tricky to collate the results across the 3 platforms - maybe everyone could post their times in here in a standard format like 'name - car - time' like a normal timetrial thread? as i've never organised one of these i don't know if this would be any easier than getting the results from the website mind.

2 hours ago, spatular said:

i've an idea for the rally, as it seems pretty tricky to collate the results across the 3 platforms - maybe everyone could post their times in here in a standard format like 'name - car - time' like a normal timetrial thread? as i've never organised one of these i don't know if this would be any easier than getting the results from the website mind.

Yeah, you could. Setting up a league can be a bit tricky.

If you like though, we could use your rally setup for the next RaLLyMUK league season after the current one expires come Sunday night :)

Recently bought this. It smacks your arse hard. It feels so right but I'm shit at it. Well, at the minute anyway.

I'm used to winning every race in single player, games like Forza, GT, Driveclub. Do you need to rewrite your brain with this. Is always first not the way to play?

13 minutes ago, amc said:

Recently bought this. It smacks your arse hard. It feels so right but I'm shit at it. Well, at the minute anyway.

I'm used to winning every race in single player, games like Forza, GT, Driveclub. Do you need to rewrite your brain with this. Is always first not the way to play?

THIS. IS. RALLY!

That means it's all about practice, listening well to pace-notes, endurance and practice. Handle your car with care, don't take risks when you don't have to and learn to explore the limits of grip in any situation.

Also: experiment with setting up your car. I have (surprisingly) little knowledge of car technology, but just fiddling with the braking balance, differentials and gearing can make a major difference.

I like my cars to drift a little bit easier, so I try to set them up in a way so the rear steps out when I brake (setting the balance a bit towards the rear) - and I like more acceleration and quicker shifts so I tend to go with some longer gearing :)

And no, coming first is definitely not a requirement to be successful in rallying. In fact, allow yourself to just finish stages, rallies and championship initially. From there, set your targets to finishing further up front, getting on the podium and bagging points.

^ yeah i wouldn't worry about winning, although if you want to win, getting in earlier is easier - when you finish in the top 3 in a championship it moves you up to the next difficulty level.

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Yeah, you could. Setting up a league can be a bit tricky.

If you like though, we could use your rally setup for the next RaLLyMUK league season after the current one expires come Sunday night :)

cool! was just an idea for collecting results really as i believe the website doesn't show times after the event has finished? (or something silly like that).

i just tried to have a go at it now but servers down, on pc anyway. also odd it seemed to get the daily events fine. 

I've only been playing this for a few months but I've definitely been getting the hang of it. Each car is very different and I find I need a good chunk of time getting used to each when I switch. So pick one and just concentrate on one course or at least one country. A good starter car is the A110 in the 70s class. I would say a good event to start with is Wales. Just pick a stage or two and play it over and over.

I've realised it's all about contact with the surface and shifting the weight to the right part of the car. Take it easy, try to learn how the weight shifts when cornering. Learn to use the throttle to control the angle of the car - as you're turning around a corner apply throttle to keep control of the car.

It is fucking hard but so satisfying when you start getting the hang of it.

As said above, you need to listen to your co-driver at all times, especially if you haven't practiced a course a lot. I have a general set of rules for how I handle calls on tracks I'm not 100% familiar with:

6 - keep speed up

5 - let off a bit

3/4 - let off a lot, probably brake before

1/2 - definitely brake

hairpin/square/brake - brake a lot, shit your pants, and hope for the best

crest jump, bumps - go easy

flat out - probably best not to go flat out

don't cut - definitely don't cut

Note that cornering is modulated a massive amount by what sort of angle the road is at. A long downhill straight followed by a downhill 5 can be instant death, while an uphill 2 can often be taken without braking.

Bought this the weekend ready for the VR patch.

Will only play racing games with a force feedback wheel, does anyone else get flustered when having to reverse out of a crash?

Trying to get reverse whilst spinning the wheel back and forth is hard, especially when you can't see the wheel due to the VR headset.

7 hours ago, Pug said:

Bought this the weekend ready for the VR patch.

Will only play racing games with a force feedback wheel, does anyone else get flustered when having to reverse out of a crash?

Trying to get reverse whilst spinning the wheel back and forth is hard, especially when you can't see the wheel due to the VR headset.

Reversing in Driveclub VR makes me puke. I'd imagine reversing out of a ditch is going to make me blow chunks in a massive way. 

I'm 100% fine with driving in VR except reversing. Dirt Rally isn't too bad for some reason but reversing in Project Cars sends me dizzy every time. No idea why that is. I know now to close my eyes for a second at the point I brake to a stop as that seem to be the trigger.