rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Yoshimax

Dirt Rally

Didn't we do 'easier to drive' with the 90's cars though? I fancy something a bit speedier and more dangerous! Plus the differences in the 2000's cars just creates more personal preference and variety through the field. 

Doesn't really matter though I guess, as long as people take part :) 

The R4 cars are still quick; I don't think anyone has ever accused a Lancer Evo of being slow.  I just think the R4 cars would be a bit more forgiving for the less experienced drivers and might close the gaps through the field.

New season starts today at 4pm!

Four events, 6 stages per rally in the R4 cars:

Finland

Sweden

Monte Carlo

Greece

Weather's generally good and I've thrown in a few night stages.

First event runs from today until 9pm next Sunday.  Subsequent events will be midday on Monday until 9pm on the Sunday.

• Upvote 4

Just put a time in for this week's rally. haven't really driven R4 before, except maybe a daily or 2 so did a 3 stage practice event which went well, but that was Germany. Onto the main event and it went pretty badly, they can still get up to some good speed but don't handle or take the bumps as well as faster cars, so a few times on nearly every stage I'd hit a bump a bit wrongly and it'd end up in a crash of some description. So yeah I was expecting this to be easier than previous events but it didn't really work out like that, maybe because of my lack of experience with the car.

• Upvote 1

Jesus, that was fucking shocking; finished my run but I've set a terrible time.  Had a mare immediately in stage 1 by beaching the car and needing to reset, then it all went completely wrong in stage 4, where I had a puncture at the start of the stage and had to repair it.

These cars are definitely not slow.

• Upvote 1

So, knowing how Finland usually goes for me, I decided on a very restrained strategy. don;t push too hard, don;t go flat out over any jumps I'm not 100% sure I'm in perfect position for getting the landing.

This worked fairly well, though there were still a few incidents - a spin on stage 2, and then stage 5 happened, where racenet when crazy.

did a run, pretty good. beat spatular's time by 8 seconds, but the game kept failing to down download the leaderboard afterwards. I checked the league on the website and it looked liek the time had uploaded, so quit to windows and reloaded the game. however, the game did not recognise that I'd completed the stage and made me do it again. this time the car sailed right over the finish line (between the markers) without triggering the end of the stage, went straight into the tent beyond it, got reset for 15 seconds penalty. placed downstream of the finish line and when the car moved again, got another penalty. so I quit the game again (my only choices seeming this or retirement), and reloaded. this time, I was able to complete the stage, this time setting a time 12 seconds better than Spatular.

Stage 6, I was feeling pretty good, had a good run down, then got overly cocky in the final sector and pushed too hard as I was close to the the finish line. 2 spins, one of which took a long time to recover the car from - dropped at least 25 seconds.

• Upvote 3

I had an appalling run last night. I went off into the trees several times, I got a puncture on Stage 4 but carried on thinking I must be near the end but it wasn't (it was halfway through the first of the long stages) so had to stop for a repair when I realised... finished that stage in just under 10minutes, and my radiator (and the car in general) was smashed up badly at the start of stage 6. I think I had two stages that were without car-stopping incidents. So not great but y'know what? I loved it. It's genuinely exhilarating flying over blind crests at speed trying to judge the angle of the landings (stage 3 was my favourite). 

I'm not sure what to make of the R4 cars after the agile and responsive Delta I was using for the Group A rallies. They're certainly fast enough. The one I picked (Impreza?) seemed to have a redundant 6th gear and felt a bit 'wallow-y', whereas the Mitsubishi seemed to have better acceleration, a better engine sound, but poor brakes and was right-handed drive (something I'm not used to).

I do like the differences between all the cars in the game.

• Upvote 1

Did my complete run in the LanEvo in one go last night. It went decently, but got three punctures or so and did the final two stages with a beat-up radiator.

Funny: during SS6 the engine was hissing heavily, lacked power and even cut out during a jump, but kicked back into life upon landing and performed without issues :o Magic cure!

Time wasn't too bad though, I'm expecting Marmite to pass it but Top 3 on PS4 will do for me this time.

As for the R4 cars: I like the high power / high weight combo for a change, it will be interesting to see how that works out over this championship!

14 hours ago, Karzee said:

I'm not sure what to make of the R4 cars after the agile and responsive Delta I was using for the Group A rallies. They're certainly fast enough. The one I picked (Impreza?) seemed to have a redundant 6th gear and felt a bit 'wallow-y', whereas the Mitsubishi seemed to have better acceleration, a better engine sound, but poor brakes and was right-handed drive (something I'm not used to).

The gearing on the Impreza is all wrong - putting the gear about 12 dots towards 'low' (the left) makes it a lot better. It was still too heavy for me, though that gives it an advantage on tarmac (which we're hardly driving on in these 4 rounds).

I tuned my Mitsu to increase the braking force which helps a bit too.

As for right-hand drive: aren't you a limey? :huh:

• Upvote 3

Yeah BUT the first Colin Mcrae game was left-handed drive and all subsequent cars in rally games favour that side so it's kind of ingrained in me how to drift sitting on the left. I tried the Lancer last night, did ok but was short of time so just did my run in a car I was more comfortable in

• Upvote 1

Just jumped on to do my runs. Didnt go too badly considering I havent turned this on for a while. Had a few spins but mainly kept it pointing in the right direction and quite enjoyed the R4's - you have to treat them with respect and on a rally like Finland its so easy for them to gather a vast amount of speed then go flying in to the scenery. 

Off on holiday on Friday for a week but will aim to get a time in on the next set of stages too. :hat:

• Upvote 1

Did my run this afternoon, it went ok, a few stages were a bit messy, but nothing major enough to cause any penalties.

Here are the highlights.

3VRnJDF.gif

• Upvote 6

I did my run last night and I had an absolute blast doing it in the Lancer. Felt great flinging it around the bends and over the jumps, it felt at some points during the stages that the game had finally clicked for me and I was in total control and knew what I should be doing with the gears and braking/handbraking. I was still much slower than Karzee (my only Xbox rival so far this week) over the early stages but managed to claw back some time until I was only 17 secs behind going into the final 2 stages. But then I got a puncture 2 sectors before the finish on stage 5 and blew any chance I had of making any more ground up.

Problems started after I'd finished the last stage and tried to post the time to the leaderboard in-game. I got stuck in an infinite error loop and had to pull the plug. So either I'll have a DNF for the last stage or it'll let me do the stage again when I load it back up tonight. Hope it's the latter but we'll see later. Thought I'd seen the last of racenet balls ups but maybe not.

I was disappointed to see only Karzee and me on the Xbox leaderboard, hope more Xbox players are going to join in before the deadline. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Speech said:

Did my run this afternoon, it went ok, a few stages were a bit messy, but nothing major enough to cause any penalties.

Here are the highlights.

3VRnJDF.gif

-Goes to look at times-

Bloody hell that's fast.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, league numbers seem to have died a death a bit this week. The game is unrelentingly hard and it'll be too hard for a lot of people. I think we're down to the more committed folks now so I expect to be towards the bottom of the timesheets from now on! 

On 30/05/2016 at 10:17 AM, SharkyOB said:

Jesus, that was fucking shocking; finished my run but I've set a terrible time.  Had a mare immediately in stage 1 by beaching the car and needing to reset, then it all went completely wrong in stage 4, where I had a puncture at the start of the stage and had to repair it.

These cars are definitely not slow.

You've set a terrible time? :P

I used the Lancer Evo and came to quite like how it handled after finding it super weird initially, I'd not messed with the R4 cars before. Glad I'm not the only one to find sitting on the right a bit of a shock, despite IRL experience!

I might have to join those dropping out to be honest, I do really enjoy the game when I get on it but I've not been getting the time in recent weeks and I really need to get in the groove a little bit beforehand. At the moment I'm desperately trying to squeeze a run in and only feeling like I'm remembering how to play it a few rallies into it - this time I repeatedly fucked my car in the first few short rallies then did both the super long ones totally clean, albeit not very fast.

Hopefully I'll be back though!

1 hour ago, Speech said:

Here are the highlights.

3VRnJDF.gif

Helluva landing there my good sir! 

Oh, I've been out and about. Got my knee fixed, met a sweet girl...you know, the usual.

Sharky, I've sent you a League join request!

• Upvote 2

Awesome! Good luck Meers, looking forward to your times :)

Bit of a shame we're so scattered across three different platforms - we need to get some rallycross racing going in between the rallying for good measure.

C4D612B70573A419E03845DB71DC0637E5B30573

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Meerman said:

Oh, I've been out and about. Got my knee fixed, met a sweet girl...you know, the usual.

Sharky, I've sent you a League join request!

Sorry for the delay mate, I've just accepted your request so if you can set a time before 9pm on Sunday you'll be in from round 1 of our new championship! 

Good to hear from you :-) 

I'm still in but I've been working some silly crunch-style hours lately. Hope I'm gonna get some time this weekend to prop up some leaderboard for you.