rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Yoshimax

Dirt Rally

Had my first DNF this week.. made an absolute balls up of stage 4 :( 

Ah, didn't even think to check DNFs for some reason.  I've updated the table now, not that you'll be that pleased about it I'm sure!  Did you rip off a wheel or something?

I tried to get a feel for the cars but couldn't even start up the game (Oculus Home kept opening and then Dirt Rally closing, weirdly, as Oculus support isn't even in the game right now). Unplugged the Oculus. Then got the dreaded error code 41 every time I ran it. Eventually after verifying the files with steam I got it to run. Tried the Hyundai, was ok, tried the mini... could not find a set up that worked at all, then had to leave it. Will try to get back on before Sunday.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Ah, didn't even think to check DNFs for some reason.  I've updated the table now, not that you'll be that pleased about it I'm sure!  Did you rip off a wheel or something?

It was a catalogue of errors. All started badly when I hit a tree towards the end of stage 2 went off track, hit triangle to recover not realising it was a prompt to fix a flat tyre. So that was an extra 1:30 on my time straight away.

To try and regain some ground I pushed way too hard and on stage 4 I ended up with a busted radiator and a totally knackered front right.. So just called it a day and retired! :( 

I've finished 4 of the 6 stages, should complete the rest this evening. Hoping to slot in just above the DNF's

Managed to finish without ending up a DNF, so quite happy with that really.

Used the Fiesta RS for no other reason than I liked the yellow/black livery.

34:57.031

Not gonna set the leaderboard alight but pretty pleased overall and I enjoyed the latter stages very much as I started getting used to the extra power and more refined drive of the 2010 class. I would love to do a full forum event with these cars.

No major Racenet issues either the last few days, so all is good in Dirt world this week.

Looking forward to whatever comes next 

So, I've just unlocked Elite Championship. 

Ideally I'd like to do it in a 2000s car, but I'm still saving for it. What are my options? Can I start a Championship and change car part way through?

I've got a couple of online results to come in but I'll likely be short for another few sessions at least. 

Any ideas? 

You can't change car halfway through a championship, it's considered deeply unfair on the other drivers. You can always try a different event like rallycross?

• Upvote 1

custom championships will get you some cash too, set it to the highest difficulty you can for more prize money.

i've probably moaned in here about how difficult the career championships are, but i grew to like having no pressure of trying to win, then i only went and won it, must have been a fluke or something with the AI having an off day, because now i've started a new championship i'm back to having no chance, finishing around 3rd to 6th most of the time. but because i now think it's possible to win i keep retrying stages to do better and it can get annoying, especially with some of the pace notes being bad in places (wish there was a map option). anyway i'm sure i'll soon settle down again and accept not being able to win. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the tips. I'll do a custom champ. 

As for pressure to win, I just keep plugging away. I'm quite consistent, 3rd-6th kind of positions, which has been enough to get me to Elite!

It has all started to feel a lot easier at Pro, perhaps partly because I stuck to the same car for the last couple of championships. 

My battle with Sponge continues and yet again I come out 2nd best.  It was really close, there was only 0.050 seconds between us after 3 stages, then I managed to create a bit of a gap in the next 2, before losing time in the last stage while seeing if the mini handles better on it's roof than on it's wheels (it's a close one). Finished less than a second behind at the end.

• Upvote 4

Here's the table for this week:

2010s Single Week 2.PNG

Cannot believe how close that is between Sponge and Speech for 1st, after almost 30 mins of stages!

• Upvote 3

15 players, bit down on the previous event but still not a bad turnout for a short 1 off rally. I'm still itching to get stuck into another one, short or long, it's just so addictive and so much bloody fun going up against real people and joining in on here with folks posting up stories and clips of their driving woes and adventures - good show everyone & as always special thanks to Sharky for keeping it all going with enthusiasm and the sterling work behind the scenes. You've made Dirt Rally  much better than the great game it already was for me. Top boy.

• Upvote 2

Thanks man, really appreciate you saying that :)

I've just checked the league and no times have been set since this morning.  I'm heading out for tea shortly so I probably won't get to check again before 9pm.  Just post your times here if you finish this evening.  I wouldn't normally want to do that for a championship, but as it's a one-weeker should be ok.

Beezerley, PS4, Fiesta, 37:09.776, gap probably massive.

Picked up the game on Friday. It's a bit good isn't it?

• Upvote 1

Heh, I thought my time might be good enough for the "well, you dragged that wreck over the line to count as finished, so there's that" prize. Some of my least favourite locations and not a clue how to drive those cars but it became a perverse kind of fun. 

12 hours ago, Beezer said:

Beezerley, PS4, Fiesta, 37:09.776, gap probably massive.

Picked up the game on Friday. It's a bit good isn't it?

It is!  And that's not a bad time for someone who's just picked up the game.  It is HARD.

Here's the final results for this week with your time added:

2010s Single Week 3.PNG

As RaceNet is now behaving reasonably well, the new championship starts today.  Be back with news shortly, although as a heads up I'm going with a 4 week event and 2000s cars....

• Upvote 1

Can I just get a bit of opinion on the use of career engineers?  I see it as a bit of a reward to those who play the single player mode and have built up a team, I don't think it's that much of an advantage and I like the continuation of offline career mode into the online events personally.

I like it, but then, I have a decent team built up.

it does, sort of, affect stage times as in the event of a crash you'll be able to to fix the car to a higher level than someone without.

I did feel that difference on last week's event - whether the extra repairs would have made me any faster, I don;t know - I highly doubt it it would have made a difference to my finishing position where I was 45 seconds behind the guy in front and over a minute from the guy behind., but I can see it maybe making a difference if we've got rallies settled by less than a second.

That said, I think the advantage they provide is probably minimal compared to the experience that'll have been accrued doing the stage miles in career - to have unlocked them, you'll have put in a lot of time on the road, and that's probably what's going to make you faster rather than the crew.

• Upvote 1

Can I just get a bit of opinion on the use of career engineers?  I see it as a bit of a reward to those who play the single player mode and have built up a team, I don't think it's that much of an advantage and I like the continuation of offline career mode into the online events personally.

I think anything that unbalances is a bad idea.  You're just giving another advantage to those with the time to obsessively play the game over and above their already big but deserved advantage through practice.

And you say it's not a huge advantage, look at how much last week was won by.  Is it not THAT much of an advantage.

It doesn't really affect me too much because I'm rarely in a tight battle but it really is just giving people who already have it easy, an even easier time.

As RaceNet is now behaving reasonably well, the new championship starts today.  Be back with news shortly, although as a heads up I'm going with a 4 week event and 2000s cars....

Aren't McSpeed and Marmite away for another week?

I crashed out on that rally. I don't understand it. Everything's fine then you go off and slow slide down a hill and bang suddenly your car is unrecoverable. It's just odd cause in 90% of cases it'll just reset you.

25 minutes ago, Karzee said:

Aren't McSpeed and Marmite away for another week?

I'll hold off until next week then.

I'll be missing next week. It can't be helped that some of us will miss it, half term holiday season :) 

24 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I crashed out on that rally. I don't understand it. Everything's fine then you go off and slow slide down a hill and bang suddenly your car is unrecoverable. It's just odd cause in 90% of cases it'll just reset you.

If you're quick enough, you can hit the pause button and recover from there rather than waiting for a prompt. But yes, some hills presumably end in a sheer drop or something so the game designates them unrecoverable areas. It does hurt, I've failed to finish two Monaco rallies I was doing well in thanks to that!