Yoshimax

Dirt Rally

19 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

It does feel a tad light on countries and stages, mostly because 4 out of 5 rally's are mostly gravel - no snow just yet. 

As DLC updates Monte, Sweden and Germany have been announced. Though these are just refreshed versions of the original DiRT Rally routes so don't expect too much new here.

I was going to ask if it was just those 5 countries!  Does seem a bit tight, hopefully all the countries from the original will be released as dlc.

Edit - Also Joe, is it the same format as the last game wrt the countries?  IE, 2 long stages which are then cut up/reversed to create the different stages?

11 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I was going to ask if it was just those 5 countries!  Does seem a bit tight, hopefully all the countries from the original will be released as dlc.

Edit - Also Joe, is it the same format as the last game wrt the countries?  IE, 2 long stages which are then cut up/reversed to create the different stages?

In essence, I think so. It works for me as they are generally good stages. Plus the effects of day/night and mostly rain (including serious puddles) help mix things up.

The stage generator in DiRT 4 was sadly flawed as it ended up producing far to similar looking stages - not enough 'modular building blocks', I guess.

Would still love to see it return in an improved form at some point in the future. Infinitely randomized stages could work well to keep the rally experience true and fresh.

That's my gripe with leaderboards in a game like this: people practicing stages over and over, learning the corners and ultimately setting the fastest times - which completely goed against the philosophy of rallying!

I really don't rate that kind of stage generation personally.  Put it this way, if there was a quantifiable trade up here, like they could create a randomiser, or get three extra countries of properly crafted stages in the game (I know this is overly simplistic and not the way it would really work), I'd go for the stages every time.

@McSpeed I have questions, you lucky bugger!

1. What's the online rally setup like? I'm sure I read that this was going to give us cross platform rally / leaderboards. That would be a great thing for Rllmuk!

2. Are you on base PS4? If so, what's the performance like? I'm kind of worried this is the one that pushes it too far.

3. Is the campaign much different to DR1? That felt very bare bones and I could imagine big improvements.

4. Are there proper time trials for evil scum like me who want to go against the spirit of Rally? Please tell me we have functional TT leaderboards this time!!!

17 minutes ago, Beezer said:

@McSpeed I have questions, you lucky bugger!

1. What's the online rally setup like? I'm sure I read that this was going to give us cross platform rally / leaderboards. That would be a great thing for Rllmuk!

2. Are you on base PS4? If so, what's the performance like? I'm kind of worried this is the one that pushes it too far.

3. Is the campaign much different to DR1? That felt very bare bones and I could imagine big improvements.

4. Are there proper time trials for evil scum like me who want to go against the spirit of Rally? Please tell me we have functional TT leaderboards this time!!!

1. You can create any rally(cross) event in free play and play by yourself or invite others. No direct cross platform multi but you will see cross-platform leaderboards (though lots of 'DiRT Player' names which make me think PSN / Xbox Live / Steam usernames aren't compatible here).

Hope they add custom league support like in DiRT Rally 1 too!

2. PS4 Pro, game runs fine though general graphical quality isn't as impressive as GT or Forza. Still some nice effects though and 60 fps framerate seems solid.

3. Still a bare bones campaign, though there are two now so to day (proper hard one in career mode, another less complex one in free play). Some nice real life rally footage to introduce each class of cars but little more. I'm fine with it as they've definitely focused on physics.

4. There is a Time Trial mode so I guess your answer is yes ;)

• Upvote 2

was struggling to decide which version to get, want it on ps4 in case it gets a psvr update, but it's pretty expensive with the dlc, so went for the pc version with the dlc (first 2 bits anyway) - £43 at cdkeys at the moment.

i really like the short campaign mode from the first game, just playing through with different cars at different difficulties was great imo. when there's loads of races to finish the campaign i just want to get it over with and never really replay them.

So I've also bought it on Steam. Don't let me down, Codies !   :D

Gotta say from the youtube reviews yesterday - Jimmy Broadbent's - it looks great fun.

Just hoping for a old skool league like we used to do or similar. That was awesome fun....

19 minutes ago, ColinMac said:

Just hoping for a old skool league like we used to do or similar. That was awesome fun....

Same here. And even if a league feature isn't implemented in the game, we'll just make a dedicated Online thread to setup our own cross-platform rallies :)

On 18/02/2019 at 11:45, McSpeed said:

3. Still a bare bones campaign, though there are two now so to day (proper hard one in career mode, another less complex one in free play). Some nice real life rally footage to introduce each class of cars but little more. I'm fine with it as they've definitely focused on physics.

That's a shame :(. I loved how DR1 felt to drive but the campaign was very limited (compared to Colin McRae 4 and 5 for example) and I really hoped this one would fix that.

13 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

The first one had problems running on the rift via steam, you had to disable steamvr to force it to open natively on the rift. Is this still an issue?

It doesn't have VR yet.