Yoshimax

Dirt Rally

58 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Will this also have the "gamer physics" from Dirt 4 or will it just feature bastard hard mode ?

Neither really. They took apart the whole handling and restructured it to something both realistic and (with some assists on) accessible.

I found it played very nicely both on the wheel and pad during the reveal event in September.

• Upvote 1

One thing that bugs me are Ultimate Editions, in this case £74.99 on PSN, they should have gone Early Access again and increased the price towards release to reward fans as per Assetto Corsa Competition (£24.99 rising to £44.99 plus free 2019 season update), rather than use what seems to be the standard industry pricing model of fleece early adopters as much as possible. Codemasters pricing of this doesn’t make any sense to me, they’re fighting for my business (and time) to play their driving game vs ACC, GTS etc.

If I pick this up on release  I guess it’ll be on PC where a key is about £29.99 for the standard edition, a more reasonable price I think. However I‘d probably rather have a digital PS4 version in case a PSVR update follows but for that I might wait for a few months and a PSN sale. 

On 01/02/2019 at 11:02, Sponge said:

What?

McSpeed thinks it's fine that this game has no VR, because he knows the guys at CM, and feels their pain in terms of the cost/benefit of getting VR to work with their latest engine.  This means you have no right to be disappointed that your expensive VR headset is no longer being supported in a series where it previously was, hence 'Not this again'.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, it's a shame given that most of the sunk cost would have been in Dirt 1's development that they can't do it but then they didn't do it with Dirt 1 during main development either.

Maybe it'll get patched in or DLCed.

It's understandable though, you've got a deadline and VR is a small %.  Even lower than cockpit view!

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:30, McSpeed said:

Neither really. They took apart the whole handling and restructured it to something both realistic and (with some assists on) accessible.

I found it played very nicely both on the wheel and pad during the reveal event in September.

Is there going to be a demo? As a filthy casual I adored Dirt 4, but found the original Dirt Rally way too unforgiving.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

Maybe it'll get patched in or DLCed.

It's understandable though, you've got a deadline and VR is a small %.  Even lower than cockpit view!

I can but hope, I suppose.

I understand their reasons but it doesn't make my disappointment any less.

I might give the original dirt rally a spin to see if I can handle in cockpit. At the time when I got the game I couldn’t, I found it pretty awful. More so when compared to the VR mode which was excellent. Just one of those things, I can’t drive in cockpit fixed view. I play GT in the traditional view and F1 games in roll cam. VR is different.

If I’m honest at best I’ll take a chance on this up when it hits the discount bin. Unless they spring a surprise...

On 06/02/2019 at 11:14, gossi the dog said:

Is there going to be a demo? As a filthy casual I adored Dirt 4, but found the original Dirt Rally way too unforgiving.

Don't think there will be a demo, sadly.

I think you'll find DiRT Rally 2 more enjoyable than the first. It's got the rallying pedigree of Dirt Rally, but takes some elements from Dirt 4 to make it more accessible.

Basically, the handling has been completely redone and has ended up both more true to life and user-friendly.

14 hours ago, mexos said:

I might give the original dirt rally a spin to see if I can handle in cockpit. At the time when I got the game I couldn’t, I found it pretty awful. More so when compared to the VR mode which was excellent. Just one of those things, I can’t drive in cockpit fixed view. I play GT in the traditional view and F1 games in roll cam. VR is different.

If I’m honest at best I’ll take a chance on this up when it hits the discount bin. Unless they spring a surprise...

Since using a wheel I've only used dashboard cam - the one which only shows the upper bit of the dash on the lower end of the screen, so you can see more through the windscreen.

On 08/02/2019 at 10:55, McSpeed said:

Don't think there will be a demo, sadly.

I think you'll find DiRT Rally 2 more enjoyable than the first. It's got the rallying pedigree of Dirt Rally, but takes some elements from Dirt 4 to make it more accessible.

Basically, the handling has been completely redone and has ended up both more true to life and user-friendly.

This is good news. I really loved Dirt 4. Dirt Rally was good but too hard for me. A balance I think I can live with. 

20 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Here’s hoping PSVR will follow. Been playing the original in PSVR this afternoon and it’s bloody brilliant.

Have you been playing with a wheel? I have tried my G29 with Dirt 4 and Rally over the weekend and I don't seem to be getting any 'rumble' feedback but it works fine with GT sport.

44 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Have you been playing with a wheel? I have tried my G29 with Dirt 4 and Rally over the weekend and I don't seem to be getting any 'rumble' feedback but it works fine with GT sport.

Yes I use a Fanatec CSR through a DriveHub in Logitech mode so I’d have thought a G29 would be ok. From previous experience Codemasters FFB was always the most difficult (worst) to get a satisfactory feeling with in any of their games Dirt, F1 etc.

2 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Yes I use a Fanatec CSR through a DriveHub in Logitech mode so I’d have thought a G29 would be ok. From previous experience Codemasters FFB was always the most difficult (worst) to get a satisfactory feeling with in any of their games Dirt, F1 etc.

Yeah they don't seem to be great - I will have a play around with it and see what settings are the best.  For a rally game I was at least expecting some constant wheel rumble!

So the review embargo on DiRT Rally 2.0 has just lifted, you'll see the first scores come in today. Confident of Codies to let reviews out so relatively early before release.

I have spent around 20 hours with the game so far and absolutely love it. Handling's much refined, notably on tarmac too. Great feedback on grip levels, which makes driving RWD cars much more fun than before.

Also, cars feel much quicker and engaging to drive. Even the Alpine A110 is now a proper rally monster - not to mention the Group B beasts!

My only possible gripe could be if Codemasters add microtransactions between now and public release. The career mode can get quite expensive on in-game money, with purchasing/repairing/upgrading cars and the whole personal thing. Performing well will earn you decent money but I can't help but shake the feeling the publisher may want to cash in on the fairly steep prices by letting you use real money... Fingers crossed they don't!

• Upvote 2

Hopefully that won't come to pass, micro transactions are anathema to me.

I'm so glad the driving is good though (I had no real doubts about this mind).  I'll be getting the game the day the VR mode is released.  What are the new stages like?

1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

What are the new stages like?

Australia is amazing hilly farmland which turns into a proper mudbath when rained on, New Zealand is sort of the same both coastal.

Poland is a really cool mix between gravel and tarmac on flat planes, whereas New England (USA) is a Autumn-y forest with cool elevations.

Spain is completely bonkers with all-tarmac roads, many long stretches moving into fast corners that suddenly can turn extra sharp and bite you - an amazing challenge!

I was going to pass until they announced VR support..  

Kinda looking forward to it now - I'll probably pick it up now even though the initial content sounded a little light until they add further countries and stages ?

Sounds good though Joe...

6 minutes ago, ColinMac said:

I was going to pass until they announced VR support..  

Kinda looking forward to it now - I'll probably pick it up now even though the initial content sounded a little light until they add further countries and stages ?

Sounds good though Joe...

I'm not getting involved in a VR debate again here but this game is very much well worth a play at the very least for the amazingly retooled handling - so much speed, control, feedback and challenge :D

It does feel a tad light on countries and stages, mostly because 4 out of 5 rally's are mostly gravel - no snow just yet. 

As DLC updates Monte, Sweden and Germany have been announced. Though these are just refreshed versions of the original DiRT Rally routes so don't expect too much new here.