Yoshimax

Dirt Rally

Yeah. I think if I really want one, I'll be settling around the range of the Logitech DFGT. £200+ is too much for one game (unless it's Rock Band... ahem), I'm not a driving sim fan in general so it'll get little use beyond this. I'd love a full FFB experience some day, though.

Maybe I'm becoming middle aged. Can't drive, so a PC wheel is the closest I'll get to owning that flash sports car.

Yeah. I think if I really want one, I'll be settling around the range of the Logitech DFGT. £200+ is too much for one game (unless it's Rock Band... ahem), I'm not a driving sim fan in general so it'll get little use beyond this. I'd love a full FFB experience some day, though.

Maybe I'm becoming middle aged. Can't drive, so a PC wheel is the closest I'll get to owning that flash sports car.

The Logitech DFGT has FFB though, it's a budget wheel but works a treat especially when paired with a wheel stand pro, I can highly recommend it.

Yeah the DFGT is superb, I got one after going to a sim place and honestly couldn't tell much difference between it and the fanatec wheels I used there. Well, the pedals are plastic and not brilliant but they defo do the job!

So is this a proper sim-sim then? I love the idea of a proper sim rally game.

And does it have rift support? Time it dust off my wheel and rift if so!

• Upvote 1

Ah, nice! Full ffb for less than £200 is possible then. I suppose the only other thing to consider is whether a wheel can be used with current gen consoles.

It's a proper sim, defo reminds me of RBR although it's not as challenging as that (which is actually supposed to be harder than driving a real rally car). I'm not sure about rift support, it definitely has 3d settings in there though.

Yeah, RBR has very little grip at all but this does better RBR in certain respects. Mainly tyre to road changes over time - at least thats what i thought i was feeling.

I like the sounds of this, hopefully it makes its way to consoles. I'd pretty much buy a tarted up remake of Colin McRae Rally tomorrow if it was available.

Are the times to complete the tracks better than the woeful sub-two minutes of the last Code masters rally games?

Every stage of the eight I've tried so far has been well over two minutes.

Ah, nice! Full ffb for less than £200 is possible then. I suppose the only other thing to consider is whether a wheel can be used with current gen consoles.

It's a proper sim, defo reminds me of RBR although it's not as challenging as that (which is actually supposed to be harder than driving a real rally car). I'm not sure about rift support, it definitely has 3d settings in there though.

RBR's physics model is literally the one from their arcade rally games with the grip turned down so that's not surprising. It worked of course, but it worked through smoke and mirrors.

Are the times to complete the tracks better than the woeful sub-two minutes of the last Code masters rally games?

On the twitch cast they said the full stages are 8-10 minutes.

Plays pretty well with a 360 pad; I've just tried a few different car types (Lancia Delta, current WRC Fiesta) in all three current environments and the pad was totally fine for me.

Getting a few strange stutters with the framerate. When benchmarking it looks as though my system should be fine with medium settings but I get lots of stutters. Setting everything to low still gives me a few, I'm sure they'll improve performance over time.

I love the length of the tracks and the variety of scenery that each one offers: plunging into a wooded valley before bursting out into open fields and a snaking open road before you is a great feeling.

I smashed all my headlights. It was hilarious.

Actually, that's one of my chief impressions of the game in the short time I had with it yesterday - it's hilariously fun when you cock up. Obviously, these are my early test drives, getting the hang of the handling and experience, rather than pushing myself for a better time where it's decidedly not hilarious when you cock up.

But yeah, rolling three times and keeping on driving, or flying over a ditch because you missed the corner, or when you lose your rear wheel with four splits of the stage still to go, or smashing your headlights, or beaching your car at the side of the road, or leaping a fence and ending up in a field with no way back onto the track... they're all humourous results of my terribly inept driving.

And importantly, they've all been traceable back to my inept driving, rather than bugs, unpredictable physics, or sheer bad luck. I once likened CMR 2 to my sole experience of snowboarding - travelling at high speed on the edge of control, knowing a single mistake will fuck you up, but exhilirating nonetheless because of that tight balance. It's early days, but this feels very much like that.

Monte Carlo, with its largely tarmac surfaces, is a much easier drive. So much so I managed to land a time in the middle of the AI rankings. Whoo!

Haha, my last attempt saw me get a 4th place 15 seconds down from first. I was sooooo happy.

post-10835-0-93614100-1430319573_thumb.p

This game can't help but want to be screenshot in every replay

BCeAfsvh.png
Kd6OjK5h.png
ucRUP5jh.png
iDxyfygh.png
oGDnCWkh.png
It is so lovely looking
  • Upvote 1