rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Yoshimax

Dirt Rally

Codemasters are streaming it on twitch just now - apparently this is far more of a sim than anything they've done before which for a rally game could be ideal.

http://www.twitch.tv/dirtgame/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-27-dirt-rally-could-well-be-codemasters-first-real-sim

From what I've seen of the stream (on my phone) it looks really good.

ss_1ff4f447ba2d85e19226a902fc18668d9c7b1

Dirt Rally isn't Dirt 4, in name at least. It's not on console - yet - and even though you can play it today it's no way near finished. Once you've got through the muddle of emotions all of that inspires, it's worth considering this: Dirt's new direction, which goes well beyond what fans have been calling for, is the best thing that's happened to rally games for years.

Well, in truth it's the only real thing that's happened to rally games for years. Since Dirt 3's release back in 2011 it's all been a little quiet across the virtual tundra and forests, save for Milestone's limited but well-meaning passes at the discipline. Dirt Rally isn't just the return of the one game that towers over them all, though. It's a serious rethink and refit of Codemasters' series, as drastic as the switch between the Colin McRae games and the all-singing, all-dancing Dirt games that followed, and one that's headed in entirely the opposite direction.

This is a simulation, and to my mind perhaps the first that Codemasters has ever produced, despite its long heritage with driving games. TOCA, Colin McRae and latterly Dirt and Grid have all provided enjoyable driving experiences, but you could never really accuse any of them of being authentic. Dirt Rally changes that.

Edited by Pob
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Looks quite nice. I'm glad they are putting the custom leagues bit in, the last time it was done properly was rallisport 2. Nice to see a British base game again too.

It looks really good, but the Early Access nature of it means it's an impossible buy for me at the moment. All it needs is for a bunch of fucking idiots to shout about how they want Gymkhana and all of a sudden the rally sim you bought in good faith turns into DiRT3.

Definitely going to keep an eye on it though, because if they can stick to their guns and make the game they're making at the moment, it could be amazing when it's finished.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If this ends up being a spiritual successor to Richard Burns Rally then count me in! About time we had a decent rally title that doesn't involve driving buggies over energy-drink branded ramps whilst being yelled at by yobro twats.

• Upvote 2

It looks really good, but the Early Access nature of it means it's an impossible buy for me at the moment. All it needs is for a bunch of fucking idiots to shout about how they want Gymkhana and all of a sudden the rally sim you bought in good faith turns into DiRT3.

Definitely going to keep an eye on it though, because if they can stick to their guns and make the game they're making at the moment, it could be amazing when it's finished.

April - Early Access begins

May - Pikes Peak Pack

June - Tarmac Terrors & Classic Icons

July - Rallycross Pack

August - PVP Pack & Rallycross Expansion

September - Flying Finland

October - Modern Masters

November - Winter Wonderland

This is a copy and paste from their website (https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/home) - so it ,looks like they have plenty of plans that will "get in the way" of gymkhana requests...

Edit: And I guess gymkhana with actual 'simmy' physics and rules might not be that bad actually....

Of course you are right but the fact that it is on PC gives me hope. I haven't been impressed by codies racing output in a long time but their heart's are in the right place and it sounds like they are trying to re-focus.

I spoke a while back about this in another thread.

I want Codies to use the DiRT and GRID names to sell more focused games. Eg:

GRID: BTCC
GRID: WTCC
GRID: Destruction Derby
GRID: Formula Ford
GRID: American Muscle
GRID: DRIFT

DiRT: Rally
DiRT: Gymkhana
DiRT: Paris Dakar

etc, etc

All released is individual products. I wonder if this may be a part of that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I honestly wouldn't worry about that. For a start maaaaaany fans have wanted a return to proper rally for a long time and it's very likely anyone who wanted something full of gymkhana shite would get shouted down and hounded into the hills. Been waiting for this so damn fucking long, first game I purchase come payday this week.

Thats great. Only tried the 60's cars but they same pretty good. Think CMR but with far more riskier tracks. None of this flat shite - so far more skill required to keep speed as the road cambers are all over the shop.

Feels pretty much like DiRT. Not as loose as RBR but very good anyway. Way better then anything "Bileprone" would put out.

Yep, that feels lovely to drive. Great stages, nice, long and varied. Only raced the 60s Mini Cooper in Greece and Wales so far but started to feel right at home by the end of the Wales stages. Great pace notes too, seem pretty authentic.

This is far better than traditional DiRT for me; feel like a proper return to CMR 2 so far, one of my top 10 games ever. It even has the service park after 2 stages things that CMR 2 had.

Don't think the ffb on my wheel is working properly at the moment and the CPU stage times are all over the place, just to add some balance!

just got it too, looking forward to giving it a go, will take a few hours to download...

Don't think the ffb on my wheel is working properly at the moment

oh. i won't be playing it much if the ffb isn't working.

Keep the impressions rolling if you can over the next while, guys, would love to hear more. Colin McRae Rally 2 is basically my favourite driving game of all time, and while it's certainly on the arcadey side next to how this is reported to be, I'm a big boy now.

Sorry to hijack but I noticed that Grid Autosport is only 6eu at the moment! So if you're not one to go for early access, such as myself, I guess Autosport will more than suffice.

They're completely different games; this is definitely more sim than the Grid games for me. I'm going to go back for more when I get home later, so I'll post some more impressions then. For CMR2 fans, so far so very, very good though!

I hope they go all out in terms of pushing the graphics as lead development is on PC.

Bugger! Here's hoping they sort it soon. Rumble is working but there doesn't seem to be any force in the middle of the wheel at all. There's a little when you're turning through the corners but it's minimal. I tried cranking everything up to full within the game but it didn't seem to help.

Any impressions on how it handles with a joypad? Obviously not the ideal setup but a decent wheel is a little out of my budget at the moment (unless there's something comparable to the Thrustmaster T-Flight I use for Elite in lieu of a Saitek stick, though I doubt it).

I spoke a while back about this in another thread.

I want Codies to use the DiRT and GRID names to sell more focused games. Eg:

GRID: BTCC

GRID: WTCC

GRID: Destruction Derby

GRID: Formula Ford

GRID: American Muscle

GRID: DRIFT

DiRT: Rally

DiRT: Gymkhana

DiRT: Paris Dakar

etc, etc

All released is individual products. I wonder if this may be a part of that.

The problem is that the biz case for those single-focus racing sim-lite games doesn;t exist any more in the way it did back in the late 90s (with F1 as the sole exception) - the costs have gone up, but the possible market hasn't really expanded.

In addition to the costs issue, you've had Forza and Gran Turismo encroach significantly on those areas as well - you can do something pretty close to BTCC or WTCC, with so much more alongside in the game. at the core of it, that's been the issue Codemasters have had over the last generation, of an ever-narrowing space to exist in where a game with fewer cars and tracks than the first party kitchen-sink racers offer can do something different and succeed.

(it will be interesting so see how project cars does as well, as you could argue that game is attempting to occupy the same space the old toca RD games did)

There was a plan, a long time ago, to do something like this anyway, a stripped down (and cheaper) core game intended to be bolstered by DLC for specific genres but it never gained much traction, mostly because the market research feedback was very negative to it.

Rally remained, though, as a subgenre where the big racers haven't excelled. Forza only does it in horizon and it's even more arcadey than DiRT. Gran Turismo does it, but badly. the milestone WRC games are OK, but nothing more. So, this is where, maybe, there's a market left.

• Upvote 3

Any impressions on how it handles with a joypad? Obviously not the ideal setup but a decent wheel is a little out of my budget at the moment (unless there's something comparable to the Thrustmaster T-Flight I use for Elite in lieu of a Saitek stick, though I doubt it).

I'll try it with my pad later. I might end up playing it with a pad for now; feels a bit weird playing with a wheel with no/little ffb, even though I was getting into it by the end of last night.

You won't get a wheel with ffb for less than £200 ish. You can get wheels without it for less but I'm not sure I really see the point.

• Upvote 1