rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Xevious

Wipeout model viewer

http://phoboslab.org/wipeout/

The original and 2097 games have had their models extracted and put into a browser. Two thing struck me:

• Since 1995 we've come a long way - from a £300 console to something that can run in a browser
  • This still looks stunning - I know it's a higher resolution, but the style is fantastic

Which were your favourite tracks? Seeing the camera fly around Talon's Reach made me remember how great it was.

• Upvote 9

Massively fond memories of Gare d'Europa. Swooping out of a tunnel into the pouring rain, lightning flashing as the monorail chugs alongside you. It's just a slight shame that these aren't animated. I'll have to fish out the game to relive it.

No bad thing, mind you...

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Gare d'Europa with the qirex ship, scraping the wall on that last curve perfectly before the long ramp up back to the start, amazing. I've never played a racing game that got everything as perfect as 2097.

Gare d'Europa was a favourite, if only because it was the PSM demo track and got played to death before we got the full game. :D

I liked the appearance of Valparaiso as well - having this lush natural environment to glide around made it stand out from the more "industrial"-looking tracks. There are bits of Metro Park in Wipeout 2048 that feel slightly similar with their more natural surroundings. :)

Ooh, didn't realise they'd added the 2097 tracks in! Whizzing around the tracks with Cold Storage's ace tunes blaring makes me want to dredge up my old PC copy of 2097. God, that game was incredible at the time, and last I played it still held up well (aside from there seemingly being no way to actually have the music playing on a modern system). The best Wipeout game, at least until HD (and latterly 2048) came out; such a shame those astonishing games weren't enough to keep the developer or series going :(

That site is properly brilliant, I had a dizzying rush of nostalgia at my first run through Sagarmatha – specifically, at the first corner where the track opens up on the left and you can see the mountains. It genuinely took me right back to the first time I played that track, 18 years ago, and had my mind irreparably boggled by the post-Amiga amazingness of it all.

Fave tracks: Korodera for the filthy, redbrick industrial vibes, which reminded me of childhood visits to Manchester, and Valparaiso.