IGNORED

The Witcher 3 - PC technical/performance thread

davejm

Witcher 1 is dated in a whole bunch of ways. Witcher 2 is a bit clunky in places but generally better in every way and holds up much better than the first game too (and still looks gorgeous to boot).

If you burn out on Witcher 1 don't worry about it too much, Witcher 2 is the one you really need to play for all the story continuations etc.

Word on the web is that the latest driver update to support Witcher 3, is crippling Kepler-gen cards.

NVIDIA trying to force Maxwell-gen purchases thru this game? NVIDIA developer support programmes seem well shady - I remember their supporting Skyrim doing a number on AMD/ATI card owners.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/833016/geforce-700-600-series/gtx-780-possible-fail-as-performance-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-/1/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/36hs49/quick_question_the_newest_driver_35286_doesnt/

I'm going to rollback my driver tonight then plugin the SLI profile, and see what goes from there.

I rolled my GTX690 back to driver version 347.88 and there is no noticeable difference. Still think something not right is going on though - NVIDIA has been very quiet on the matter.

New patch (1.03) is out on Steam and GOG.

Changelog: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.03 changelog:

• Improves stability in gameplay and the UI.
  • Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
  • Fixes grass and foiliage popping that can occur after density parameters change
  • Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
  • Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
  • Sharpen Postprocess settings extended from Off/On to Off/Normal/High
  • Improves menu handling
  • Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
  • Corrects an issue with stamina regeneration while sprinting
  • Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcurs when scrolling the map
  • Generally improves world map focus
  • Corrects a bug where player was able to fire bolts at friendly NPCs
  • Corrects an issue in dialog selections
  • Corrects some missing translations in the UI
  • Minor SFX improvements -Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
  • Rostan Muggs is back

The Wii U made it clear to me that I'm a frame rate obsessive. Turns out I really do notice and appreciate 60fps so when tinkering with PC game settings that's what I aim for above everything else. I've found this will run at a solid 60 with a mix of ultra and high on a 970 so I'm pleased with that. There is a tendency to want to try and push more things up to ultra but I just don't see any difference at all. Could it be that at 1080 these things are less apparent than they might be at higher resolutions? I cannot spot the difference between hairworks on or off - or maybe I can but I don't really have a preference, I don't think it looks especially better with it on and it kills frames. Maybe I'm crap at spotting graphical details but I'm ridiculous about frames. I'm one of those people it seems.

Some of the settings only give a slight increase, even from medium to ultra it can be quite small difference which are difficult to spot unless you're looking. This gives you a good idea so you can decide what you want to run on ultra/high etc.

I can tell straight away with the hairworks stuff, only it really does hit the fps quite big so I've gone with it off and put most thing on ultra instead.

Hairworks on/off seems to make no noticeable difference to my framerate at all which is odd to say the least. Always sits around 50-60fps with everything on ultra (2560 x 1600). Maybe need to play around some more but that eats in to play time so we'll see.

I was thinking maybe they'd just called em light beams and didn't actually mean the ray of light between the trees and stuff (which I don't know why you'd want to turn off, they aren't too demanding and everyone loves them). I'd have to test though.

Thought I'd barely scrape minimum specs for this, but what CDProjekt class as minimum seems to be "equal to console", minimum should be "barely runs", not "steady 30fps at 1200p on medium settings".

It does make me want to see the eye candy though, so I've just bought a GTX 970.

Yeah this runs disturbingly well on Medium on a 670.

Anyone have any tips for optimising it a little bit rather than my tactic of lock to 30, set to medium, turn off Chromatic Abomination?

Fancy Hair is a bit hit and when it comes to shadows you can barely tell the difference with medium and ultra so go with a lower setting on that. The latest patch has improved with performance with HairWorks though.

Use this to help what you want more of and what you can live with less of.

From GAF. This helped me loads...

Improve movement responsiveness when using a controller
To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement when using a controller, go to "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc", open the "platformgameplay.ini" file with a text editor and find the "LeftStickSensitivity" variable, located at the top. This setting is defaulted to "0.7", but change it to "1.0" for more responsive analog movement!

Yeah this runs disturbingly well on Medium on a 670.

Anyone have any tips for optimising it a little bit rather than my tactic of lock to 30, set to medium, turn off Chromatic Abomination?

This page is quite good at showing what each option does / looks like at various settings. The comparisons were enlightening in some instances, for eg, there really isn't much difference between high and low for some settings!

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

This page is quite good at showing what each option does / looks like at various settings. The comparisons were enlightening in some instances, for eg, there really isn't much difference between high and low for some settings!

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

I've been messing with the settings a bit more (on my GTX 670) and am uploading a youtube video at the minute - most settings are at Ultra with the heavy hitters either off (Hairworks) or at High (shadow quality etc). I've shown them at the start of the video so people can see them :)

Surprised by the performance, seems to stay very close to 30fps quite well and drops to 25 - 26fps in the big cities. If you tweak a few settings down to medium I reckon you could have more or less locked 30fps :) Now of course I would prefer 60fps with the settings cranked up but not bad for a 3 year old video card.

I'll edit this post with the video link when its done.

EDIT -

Here's the video but it'll take a while to upload the HD version, only showing 360p for now. Also to note its just me running around Novigrad and a cutscene plays (nothing directly story related from what I can see) plus a few sidequests being picked up etc.

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:"...\The Witcher 3\bin\config\base"Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

Oh wow. Thanks for this

16 hours in, still only level 5, and busy exploring some caves for an elf with a witch. The game is incredible, but also has moments of extreme frustration (at least on the third difficulty setting) - two tonight of note.

Most recently, fighting wraiths in an environment with constantly-respawning poison, it turns out, is incredibly frustrating design. Battles tend to go: use igni to clear gas, get stabbed, use quen, kill wraith, gas respawns, choke on poison despite quen and die. Not much fun. You have to either kill the wraiths really quickly, or just never use quen and hope to dodge all of their teleport attacks. Erk.

Earlier irritation wasn't of design, but glitching - fighting your way through a battle with a horde of bandits, whittling them down to the last two and then dying because the game has decided you are no longer in combat (albeit without sheathing your sword), so that your right mouse button suddenly turns from block into witcher sense mode and double tapping the direction keys no longer makes you dodge? Not so cool.

So yeah, a bit of frustration today. Just as well the game is otherwise brilliant, really! I also enjoy the fact it really allows you to chance things, merrily making your way to Novigrad rather than following the obvious questlines, and despite hordes of higher level enemies and quests dotting your path.

Durante's Witcher 3 analysis: the alchemy of smoothness

Highlights the piss poor frame pacing and how to try and fix it (PC).

TLDR: While the “Vsync” configuration looks marginally smoother than the “no VSync” one in the charts above, after a considerable amount of testing I would suggest this setup: disable both the in-game frame limiter and in-game Vsync, use borderless fullscreen mode for correct triple buffering and set the desired framerate limit in RTSS. This combination will result in consistent frame delivery while minimizing input lag.

Also: wBKb8tP.jpg

Just in case no-one's really done it - turning off sharpening altogether dramatically improved framerates for me. Getting a fairly consistent 60fps with no real difference in visual quality as far as I can see. 1080p though, so probably makes more of a different in higher res?

Fucking shit myself, came out of the game and my CPU was 99 degrees C! Nearly "burst into flames" level. Need to reseat it, but don't have any Arctic Silver left.

Didn't want to stop playing, so turned it down to 75% in Power Settings and put the fans up to full.