IGNORED

The Witcher 3 - PC technical/performance thread

davejm

I literally have no idea how CD projekt red fucked up the fmv playback, it affects all platforms..

What's it doing? It seems okay to me. It does have an occasional small judder, but nothing significant - I'm assuming it's a similar thing which affected DA:I in that game's cutscenes?

Just seen this regarding HairWorks, might be of some interest:

For Nvidia users.Hairworks is automatically set to 8msaa, this is probably why a 980 and even a Titan get ridiculous fps dips.Go to your game install folderFind Bin>Config>Base>Rendering.iniChange it to 4,2 or 0. Zero is a bit too jaggy and 2 is perfect Fps when in White Orchard Village in the Griffon trophy went from 40-45 to 55-60if 2aa is still jaggy, go to Nvidia control app and force FXAA.Bin>Config>Base>visuals.iniUber is automatically on during cutscenes and fps is locked to 30 just change it to whatever.

Did the ultrawide hud adjust courtesy of wsgf:

In user.settings at Documents/The Witcher3 the uiVerticalFrameScale and uiHorizontalFrameScale can be modified. Make sure to set the file to read-only afterwards!

Here's the regular UIHorizontalScale 1 limit versus 1.3 set manually:

OhynDAl.jpg85lW0Ir.jpg

Article on Keplergate, here:

http://techbuyersguru.com/hotdealsblog/?p=4119

well, that's kinda shitty. I can put everything on high with a few things on ultra at 1080p and get 55-60 fps on my 780 though. Or an even mix of ultra and high at 1080p and lock the framerate at 30. In the end I decided I'd rather have 60FPS after a lot of experimenting. It looks gorgeous and plays great already, just frustrating knowing now that it could/should have been even better.

Edit : just to emphasise, I'm more than happy with how the game is right now. It's far beyond every other open world game even without everything on ultra. It's amazing and I'm wandering the world of Witcher 3 in awe. It's just that one would expect better support from Nvidia, this is an AMD ass thing to do

Too bad they didn't try and roll back the drivers in that "Kepplergate" test.

true.

One person on GAF reports that rolling back the drivers isn't having a positive effect, which is at odds with reports on other forums. Not sure what to make of it until I try it out myself.

NVIDIA is perceived to have a history, through stuff like their 'The Way It's Meant To Be Played' programme, of working with devs to ensure game code is optimised toward GeForce hardware (at the expense of ATI compatibility).

Gimping an old-gen of their own cards would be next-gen-level treachery - perhaps needed from a short-term money-making point of view, in this era of PC tech always being so far ahead of console? But would be ultimately short-sighted of them especially as the new wave of AMD cards is just around the corner. We'll see, NVIDIA did say they're looking into it.

Nah, I don't think it's any kind of evil conspiracy. That's a typical internet way of thinking. I think it's more likely (if there really is a problem, and it looks like there is) that they were simply a bit lazy optimising for the previous series while focusing primarily on the current ones. Something like that. Still, I expect better from Nvidia.

Hopefully they'll fix it soon and roll out some new beta drivers and I'll be able to put a few things more on ultra :)

I have a GTX 980 and I own the Witcher 3 on Steam...but I'm currently playing through Witcher 1 for the first time on GOG and then have Witcher 2 (I bought the special edition of this on release - still have the fancy box with the guide and map and soundtrack) to follow. I presume by the time I'm done, this would have been patched and optimised to hell

On a serious note, really looking forward to playing the trilogy and I kind of feel fortunate to have such a good trilogy to play through fresh. Messing around in Act 2 in Vizima at the moment in Witcher 1 :wub:

I have a GTX 980 and I own the Witcher 3 on Steam...but I'm currently playing through Witcher 1 for the first time on GOG and then have Witcher 2 (I bought the special edition of this on release - still have the fancy box with the guide and map and soundtrack) to follow. I presume by the time I'm done, this would have been patched and optimised to hell

On a serious note, really looking forward to playing the trilogy and I kind of feel fortunate to have such a good trilogy to play through fresh. Messing around in Act 2 in Vizima at the moment in Witcher 1 :wub:

I hope you've still got the coin from the Witcher 2 boxset as well!

Well fuck me with a silver sword. This runs pretty well on a 670 with a 2500k on medium. This must be some kind of witchcraft....

The three big things that kill the framerate are hairworks, foilage distance and shadow quality.

I'm still messing around with settings but with everything turned up to ultra and hairworks off and foilage distance and shadow quality set to medium it seems to be staying above 30fps consistently. Gonna lock the framerate to 30fps and see how that goes :) You're best to do that on borderless windowed with vsync off and using Rivatuner to lock the framerate, according to Durante thats got the least input lag compared to their own lock ingame.

I was getting fairly frequent freezing last night, but this evening everything's been fine.

Made a few adjustments based on early feedback (switching framerate lock off, exiting geforce experience and the card's OC tool etc). Not sure if one or all of the changes made the difference. Trying to solve PC game issues is super unscientific.

Totally worth the small amount of pissing about.

I'm also planning to play through the first two games so I can appreciate number 3 more. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the year and make Witcher 3 my Christmas holiday game which would hopefully be all patched up by then, perhaps even discounted in the Steam winter sale. The overwhelmingly positive feedback in the main Witcher 3 thread so far is temping me to ditch this plan though. How long on average would a play through of the first two games take? They are supposed to be linear in structure right?

I'd recommend playing through the first two games. The world is rich with a lot of lore and if you stick witcher 1 on easy you'll breeze through it as the combat is a little dated. If it works anything like mass effect I'm guessing characters appear in all of the games and I wouldn't want to miss any of their backgrounds. Also 2 is still meant to look amazing and you'll be able to max it out now pretty much