IGNORED

The Witcher 3 - PC technical/performance thread

davejm

Help please! I'm so out of the loop with pc gaming these days. How well is my laptop likely to run this?

Intel i7 @ 2.4ghz

16gb ram

Geforce 650m 2gb

Just trying to weigh up whether to grab it on PC (cheaper) if it will run it better than it will be on ps4...

Thanks!

PS4, the GPU isn't even in the same league, unless you can put up with turning everything to low and running at sub-X1 rendering resolution too.

So much for the dev claim this ran at 60fps maxed on a 980, seems Titan X is more the class of power you need to achieve that. Surprisingly how people don't mind variable performance on some games.

Running this on a GTX 690, 3930K@4.5GHz and 16GB of RAM - struggling (by my measure at least) at 1080p mostly Ultra settings. Can see myself picking up a Titan X in the US next month - arsebiscuits I was hoping to not have to upgrade for a while.

I have also chosen the option of playing with everything on max at 1080p but with hair off. I don't notice any difference with it on. Perhaps less hair clipping? Could be my imagination. With my 970 and a cpu that was 0.1 below minimum that's given me a smooth 60fps with the only slowdown happening during those chapter animated video things annoyingly.

Yes, I'm very impressed with the graphics on this. With this and GTA last month I feel like PC graphics have 'stepped up' a notch.

Running this on a GTX 690, 3930K@4.5GHz and 16GB of RAM - struggling (by my measure at least) at 1080p mostly Ultra settings. Can see myself picking up a Titan X in the US next month - arsebiscuits I was hoping to not have to upgrade for a while.

Meanwhile I'm busy being pleasantly astonished that I don't feel the need to upgrade from my three-year old graphics card* and five-year old processor for the game as it looks lovely and is solid as a rock as it is. I'd begun making calculations for how much I'd need to save to be able to buy a 970 and still be able to afford a PS4 in time for Persona 5's release before the game unlocked, so I've been delighted that the game runs as well as it does on so modest a system!

*admittedly, that's no older than yours, but it is a step below it

I'm convinced this is running by means of some kind of magic. I know I put together a new PC and all (almost a year ago now) but I'm comparing it to games like DA:I (which had loading times of about the same even though I had it installed on my SSD and Witcher 3 is on my HDD instead) or Total War: Attila which I had to tweak extensively and downgrade mostly to medium settings to squeeze 30fps out of it. Witcher 3 I just stuck on a mix of high and ultra and it runs like a dream and looks gorgeous and loads very quickly. I could probably run it on all-ultra settings too, I just haven't tried yet.

I'm running 2x 970 and it's wonderful until I alt-tab out of the game. As soon as I alt-tab back in the performance goes to shit and stays that way until I reboot :lol:

Also it keeps saying KEYBOARD DETECTED CONTROL METHOD CHANGED every two seconds on the screen which is a bit annoying. Even though my mouse is lying upside down to make sure it doesn't trigger an input.

Even though my mouse is lying upside down to make sure it doesn't trigger an input.

I'm doing the same thing! Hopefully they will simply disable that annoying message in a patch because it serves no purpose other than emphasising that both control methods do indeed work.

Word on the web is that the latest driver update to support Witcher 3, is crippling Kepler-gen cards.

NVIDIA trying to force Maxwell-gen purchases thru this game? NVIDIA developer support programmes seem well shady - I remember their supporting Skyrim doing a number on AMD/ATI card owners.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/833016/geforce-700-600-series/gtx-780-possible-fail-as-performance-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-/1/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/36hs49/quick_question_the_newest_driver_35286_doesnt/

I'm going to rollback my driver tonight then plugin the SLI profile, and see what goes from there.

According to reports and YouTube recordings, it sounds like the CPU requirements are completely overblown. I'm just waiting on a new card that comes with Witcher 3 before I start today - G3258 at 4.2, 8GB of DDR3 and a 960 2GB. Should mean everything at High at about 60fps, providing Hairworks is off. I'm too much of a dirty poor to afford a decent 1080p monitor.

I'm doing the same thing! Hopefully they will simply disable that annoying message in a patch because it serves no purpose other than emphasising that both control methods do indeed work.

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:"...\The Witcher 3\bin\config\base"Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

Word on the web is that the latest driver update to support Witcher 3, is crippling Kepler-gen cards.

NVIDIA trying to force Maxwell-gen purchases thru this game? NVIDIA developer support programmes seem well shady - I remember their supporting Skyrim doing a number on AMD/ATI card owners.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/833016/geforce-700-600-series/gtx-780-possible-fail-as-performance-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-/1/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/36hs49/quick_question_the_newest_driver_35286_doesnt/

I'm going to rollback my driver tonight then plugin the SLI profile, and see what goes from there.

Buh? I look at the first link on the geforce forum thread you link, which is basically full of people complaining that a 960 is outperforming a 780.. But then I can't see where the 960 wins? 780 is comfortably ahead of it in each benchmark.. (Edit - whoops, was looking at the Ti rather than the standard 780!)

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/

That benchmark has a good slider image of preview vs retail of the game though, which kinda proves there was no downgrade at all for PC version :)

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/commoncfm/comparison/indexb2.cfm?id=125710

I'm crashing to a black screen every time I try and take my first step out onto the balcony!

As it's exactly the same point, I suspect a bug/driver issue rather than overheating machine. Going to roll the Witcher driver back out and try again. On a 970. Assume no-one else has hit this problem, or I'd hear the lamenting from here.

Cheers, still having an issue though, and at the exact same point. I have the first conversation with the old witcher dude, and after he says 'I'll meet you downstairs' it crashes to black. I've tried:

Disabling screensaver

Unlimiting the frame rate (recommended here)

Set Nvidia 3D settings to max performance (recommended here)

It's very odd, and definitely feels like a bug to me.

Does the game do anything unusual at that point? Load in something the engine hasn't done before, maybe? Big FMV scene rather than a cutscene perhaps? Wondering if I should uninstall/reinstall now.

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:"...\The Witcher 3\bin\config\base"Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

Perfect! Works like a charm, thanks a lot :D