IGNORED

The Witcher 3 - PC technical/performance thread

davejm

I will never understand why the fuck developers like to have Chromatic Aberration in their games. I mean, I don't know of anyone that likes it and its something photographers etc try to get rid of as much as possible. What possible benefit does it provide to a game ?

Yeah I turn that shit off straight away. I'm playing it on ultra settings but without HBAO+ and no motion blur. So far seems quite smooth at 3440x1440. God I love my 21:9 monitor. Oh and I'm using a 970 and an i5 3350. It doesn't seem like the game is a CPU hog.

I will never understand why the fuck developers like to have Chromatic Aberration in their games. I mean, I don't know of anyone that likes it and its something photographers etc try to get rid of as much as possible. What possible benefit does it provide to a game ?

It's lens flare all over again - the ability to mimic an issue encountered when viewing items through a lens, and applying it to games with no thought whatsoever.

Perhaps the idea is that the player is actually role-playing some polaroid-toting tourist following Geralt around while he does his stuff?

Great game so far, really enjoying and I think I've got this technically at a place where I like it. Got it running at a locked 30fps with more or less everything on high and the hairworks feature turned off, that hurts your fps the most I find and it's not something I'm too worried about having on. I have some things turned off I don't like much like motion blur and bloom but I'm very happy with the results. I'll get a new graphics card in the next few months after I see what Nvidia and AMD have been up to (and hopefully get a price drop) but there's still life in the ol GTX 670 yet! :)

Has anyone found an option to reduce camera sensitivity on a controller?

Just scroll down in the options, its beneath the sensitivity bars for the mouse axis :)

Yeah, fuck Chromatic Aberration. Stupid shit. Bloodborne has it, I think of the precious few frmaes per second that post process effect cost the engine.. :(

Anyway, runs superbly on my i74770k and 970 :wub: haven't got a frame counter on, feels smooth enough (i.e 60hz) to me! Everything on High, pretty much.

Top tip: nowadays Steam has a built-in FPS counter that you can enable in the settings if you want to check :) But yeah, I agree that it seems well optimized, looking beautiful even with a slightly older (780) gpu like mine. And yeah, fuck chromatic aberration, what a stupid, ugly effect. No idea why every developer suddenly thinks it's cool to include. Just like with motion blur it's a big big reason for me to stick to PC gaming, at least then I can turn that shit off and magically make a game look and run a lot better.

It's running smoothly and looks amazing, but the game is freezing randomly in the menus. With Vesemir at the start so only a few mins in but I've had to kill the game via task manager 3 times already :(

Geforce Experience doesn't seem to work for this at all. The options it says I have in game don't correspond at all with what I actually have and when you click on optimise, it doesn't appear to do anything, but when you load the game it's put things like water down to low. Still, with a 970 I'm getting 60fps with most things on ultra and a couple of things on high with hair works turned off.

Yeah I was just about to post the same (well, aside from the geforce experience but because I don't use that shit!), on my 970 I have almost everything on ultra, hair works off (seriously, hair ain't worth those frames) and have turned off some of the post process stuff (motion blur, chromatic aberration, and maybe a couple of others) and am getting 60fps :wub: delightful!

After half an hour of fucking about of trying to get a stable 60 without compromising too much I decided it was too late for all that. Set the framerate to 30 and whacked everything up to full. Fucking lovely.

Amazed CA is on by default. Horrible.

Yeah I can either get a solid 30fps with everything cranked up to high or 45 - 50fps with everything set to medium. The higher framerate just feels better and I might stick with it depending if I notice anything too annoying.

Just a quick video of me messing about, I had locked the framerate with rivatuner/nvidia control panel as I felt it was a bit smoother.

I'm running this on a 3570@ 4.2 and a 670 PE @1300-odd boost and all my setting are high, apart from water which is ultra and grass density and foliage distance which are medium. It's not gone lower than 33FPS (usually in cutscenes) and averages 40-45. This is @1080 and with hair off obvs.

Really surprised at how well it's performing :)

*edit to add foliage distance which I forgot about.

I had expected, since I've got a humble gtx 750 ti that is hovering somewhere below the minimum required gtx 660, that I'd have to run at a low res or everything at low or something but I'm running it a stable locked 30 fps at 1080p with a mix of high and medium settings, very pleased because to me it looks fucking amzing at those settings

My question got lost in the "wah downgrade" kerfuffle but how did the population of crowd scenes hold up in the release version of this? I'd be playing on a 980 so aiming high on the detail levels. If you wander into towns are there lots of things happening and making it feel all lived-in? Whenever I go looking for videos I tend to find country wandering or combat which isn't quite what I'm asking.

I've only been in the first village, but the extra population just tend to Mill about doing nonsense and scream when you bump into them. But the slider did make a decent difference to the number of people. I've got it on ultra on my 970 right now. Time will tell how it does in a bigger city..

I've only been in the first village, but the extra population just tend to Mill about doing nonsense and scream when you bump into them.

Haha, this. I was like wtf is wrong with you all at first but that's just the way it is I suppose.

Does gog have a fps counter like Steam or is it fraps or nothing, would be interested to have a mess about?

Very happy with how this runs on my 970 SLI setup. On a single card, I could achieve 60 fps comfortably on High settings and I could probably live with 30-40fps with everything on Ultra. WIth the latest Nvidia drivers installed, turning on SLI has allowed me to max the game out and still achieve a consistent, unlimited 60fps with 16GB RAM and a 2500k OCed to 4.6Ghz in the machine. I don't feel I've been to any performance taxing areas yet though so I'm expecting dips eventually but so far the game is incredibly well optimised.

TL;DR - Simple single 970 card setup - Ultra settings with Hairworks turned off and Shadows set to High I found largely acceptable in terms of framerate. But then I also like the look of Chromatic Aberration and motion blur when turned on so I'm possibly talking shit.

For the first hour or so I was thinking that the Titan was eating it up on Ultra, but now I'm getting this weird in-game frame drop every 10 secs or so, it's horrid and only happens on foot.

I turned off HBAO, that didn't work...don't make me turn off that not-so-glorious hair.

Help please! I'm so out of the loop with pc gaming these days. How well is my laptop likely to run this?

Intel i7 @ 2.4ghz

16gb ram

Geforce 650m 2gb

Just trying to weigh up whether to grab it on PC (cheaper) if it will run it better than it will be on ps4...

Thanks!

You're really gonna struggle I reckon. Not the most popular concept round here, but you can easily pirate it and try it out (the game is DRM free from GOG so there is no crack or anything required).

I get the impression that the PS4 will probably run it better than all but the most powerful gaming laptop, but I could be totally wrong. You're probably best off with the PS4 version.

I'd agree that the laptop is likely to struggle - it's a bit of a weird spec, actually, with complete overkill in RAM, a high powered archetype of processor (i7) running at a low clock speed, and a creaking graphics chip. It's that mobile graphics chip that's the big issue - the minimum card recommended is a 660, and the 650 would be a step below that before considering it's the weaker mobile variant.

In your shoes I'd go for the PS4 version.

Cheers all. I hadn't mentioned it, but my laptop has a tendency to overheat these days, so running this would probably make it melt. One day I'll hook myself up with a proper master race PC, but the laptop was bought to play on whilst I was working away from home all the time.

I know that feeling - the day when I had finally settled down and could replace my creaky old Dell with a self-built, mid-range PC was a great one. Finally I could play Empire: Total War and The Witcher 1 without my computer trying to kill itself!