IGNORED

The Witcher 3 - PC technical/performance thread

davejm

With the game now around a month away and YouTube'rs being given access to the game, expect a lot of information to come to light in the coming days and in the run-up to release. With that in mind, I thought it a good idea to post a PC tech thread (to separate this type of discussion, which seemed to work well for the GTA5 thread). So...

… what do we know so far?

• Early reports (based on comments from devs) had suggested that the highest settings are featured with future hardware in mind. It may not be possible to 'max' out the settings even on current high-end hardware.
  • More recent reports based on hands-on playtime from later builds suggest that an Intel i7-4790 with GTX980 does maintain 60fps at Ultra settings. The newer Nvidia cards and engine optimisation may bring those highest settings into play.
  • NVIDIA’s HairWorks is implemented.

Minimum System Requirements

• Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
  • AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
  • AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
  • RAM 6GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements

• Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
  • AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
  • AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
  • RAM 8GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB

Buying the game...

It may be possible to pick up a cheap key from Ebay due to the game being bundled with Nvidia '9' series cards. Keep an eye out in the coming weeks. Keys distributed this way redeem via Nvidia's website and are GOG.com keys.

Key retailers:-

My PC isn't hugely out of date but it's not up to stuff like this so I'll be getting the PS4 version. I'm looking forward to seeing all those PC screenshots though. Witcher wise I played through the first one until I was part way through the marsh. Then I lost the will to live. I then played the PC version of 2 for about 3/4s until I got distracted. Wonderful series. Really looking forward to this one.

Looking at the specs I meet the minimum with plenty of room to move but that's not enough to do this game justice.

If your PC meets the specs with plenty of room to move what makes you think that the PS4 will do a better job of doing the game justice?

Probably would be a good idea to wait for the Digital Foundry verdict as one version may end up having better optimisation than the other.

Meets the minimum specs. As in the minimum specs for looking like an arse crawled out of its arse. I wasn't planning on buying at launch anyway. I still haven't finished Dragon Age and generally I find PC versions of these large RPGs have more issues at launch than the console versions.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running a 290 so not expecting great performance. Will start at High (which looks absolutely fine judging by the comparisons on that tweak guide) and work down. So long as it's smooth I'll be happy. Stuttering in PC games is my biggest bugbear.

PC Gamer posted a performance article too:

http://www.pcgamer.com/witcher-3-graphics-options-performance-and-settings/

As someone with a i5 3570k and a 970, this bit was encouraging:

We'll get into some more detailed framerate tests as our review progresses, but here's how it performs up on my office machine—GTX 970 GPU, i5-2500K CPU (4x3.3GHz), 16GB RAM.

Ultra: 40 - 50 FPS, dropping to near 30 in some conversations. Disabling HairWorks immediately adds 5-10 FPS, dropping shadows down to from ultra to high in addition gives smooth close-to-60 performance.

Medium: 70-100 FPS

Low: 100-120 FPS

Fuck, I can't wait for this game.

I apparently don't meet the minimum recommended as my processor is 0.1 below, even although it's a more advanced model and actually running at 3.6, not 3.2. I'm hoping I'll be fine with my 970.

A 970 will easily be fine, man!

Hmm my i5 2500k and 670 may struggle here for once.

Hah, I was just going to post that this game will probably make my 670 start spewing blood. The biggest issues with older cards seems to be the tessellation. It's optimised for 9XX series cards but older ones, regardless of their power, are crapping the bed when it comes to running the game.

I was hoping to wait out until the new 300 AMD release next month, to see what it does for 970/80 prices, but if W3 is going to cause my card to combust just to achieve 15FPS on low, then I may have to re-think my plans..

Hmm my i5 2500k and 670 may struggle here for once.

Your experience will make an interesting comparison with mine - I'm a step down in processor (i5 2400) and a step up in card (680); I wonder which'll make the bigger difference?

(Also, how's your RAM? Hopefully we're both on 8gb for maximum equivalence)

I'm probably going to get the game later in the year after it's been patched several times. However I'm thinking shall I buy another 970 to go SLI or wait for the next round of Nvidia cards and stick with a single card (980 Ti ?). I would love to run with Hairworks but maintain 60fps.

Well, I don't know about you, but my (GOG) copy unlocked early - I've just spent 44 minutes with it (I thought it had been about 15...), and considering my system (mentioned a couple of posts ago), I'm very pleasantly surprised - did yer old Geforce experience autoconfigure, which set a mixture of things from Low (NPC density) to high (detail, textures, antialiasing), averaging towards teh medium-high range, and it's been, so far, rock solid! Oh, and gorgeous. Not bad at all. Over to you, El Spatula!

Alas, no more playing it as, well, if I continue I'll be stuck playing it until the dawn; there's a perfectly good bank holiday weekend to spend Witchering, so that's what I'll await.

Did what I said and stuck everything on High straight away. Runs beautifully so far on my 290, i5 3570k @ 4Ghz and 8GB memory. Getting constant 60fps inside and most of the time outdoors in the first village. Some odd drops to 40-50 on occasion. Very impressed, thought I'd be spending most of the evening tinkering with the settings but if the performance stays constant then I can crack on with enjoying the game.

One thing I have noticed is the cut-scenes seem to stutter quite badly. Not the in game ones, they're perfect, but the ones that seem to have that FMV style shimmer to them. Not a massive issue anyway.

Oh, before I forget, one recommendation - I thought the colours looked off, like everything had a sheen of 'bad photograph', and going into the post-processing options I discovered why: the game defaults to having Chromatic Aberration on (i.e. literally simulating the look of a low quality lens confronted with contrasting edges and casting an odd - aberrant, even - colour at the point where contrasting colours meet). Turned it off, game immediately looked much nicer.