GTAV PC tech-talk thread

Off topic: As of yesterday this has apparently sold over a million copies already on PC on Steam and doesn't include copies sold outside Steam. Wonder how many of those were double or triple dips.

Wow, if it's shifted a million on Steam alone then I imagine it's done loads more than that in total, since loads of places had it cheaper and everywhere else was just giving out RSC codes. A great game, and a decent port, so well deserved in my book. I'm glad they took the time to get it right,

Since this is the tech talk side of GTAV...

Is there much difference installing this on a SSD vs a normal HHD? If so, how much space do you need to free up and what time of differences should I expect?

60GB.

SSD would give the best experience, especially for reducing things like loading times and pop-in that people are experiencing.

60GB.

SSD would give the best experience, especially for reducing things like loading times and pop-in that people are experiencing.

If I have it installed to my normal HHD right now, is there a simple way to move it across to the SSD or would it be uninstall / install?

Edit: Worked it out :)

- Copy files from D: to C:

- Deleted local content through Steam

- Install GTAV from Steam using the C: destination

- Steam "Discovered" the GTAV files, verified rather than installed and all good

I'm so close to triple dipping on this game, if only because of what's likely to come for the PC version in terms of modding even if Rockstar son't seem keen on the idea. 60fps would be nice too as I'm pretty sure my PC would cope with that.

Anyone tried the game online yet? How's it performing there?

Can someone test something for me please? I'm having a small issue with brightness increasing/decreasing by itself, I just want to make sure it's maybe this G-Sync issue, and not something else that could potentially be fixed somehow.

Get in a car, preferably at night, and drive up to a wall. Flick on the headlights taking note of the brightness, then flick them off. Do you see any change (not the actual headlight brightness, the actual brightness of the overall screen)? A second after I switch them on or off, I notice a teeny increase/decrease. Cheers!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-grand-theft-auto-5-pc-performance?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Digital foundry find an old dual core and the hundred quid 750ti nets you a pretty consistent 60fps experience.. :D

Can someone test something for me please? I'm having a small issue with brightness increasing/decreasing by itself, I just want to make sure it's maybe this G-Sync issue, and not something else that could potentially be fixed somehow.

Get in a car, preferably at night, and drive up to a wall. Flick on the headlights taking note of the brightness, then flick them off. Do you see any change (not the actual headlight brightness, the actual brightness of the overall screen)? A second after I switch them on or off, I notice a teeny increase/decrease. Cheers!

That's hdr / eye adjustment being simulated. It's on purpose. I'd be surprised if you can turn it on/off..

This shit need to be bookmarked for the next time it is claimed that PC gaming is as easy as console gaming now.

I just hit go and then played the game, and it was grand. GTA games are kind of a special case though to be fair, Rockstar include crazy amounts of options to obsess over.

I've found that setting V-sync in the nvidia panel (for this game) to on, rather than adaptive, and turning it off in game gets around the 59fps thing. It still says 59 in the game options bit but as it's not doing the syncing it lets it go to 60. I might be mad but I swear that frame makes the difference. It does feel very slightly smoother now, there was something just a little off when it was capping out at 59. I'm like the princess and the pea it seems.

I don't know why but adaptive didn't seem as good as having it fully on does. It's almost like it allows it to drop more and the fully on v-sync helps to hold it up a bit more which is mad I know but that's what it feels like.

I've found settings I'm happy with now, everything very high except grass on high and it only occasionally drops 5 frames for a second or so in places. I can live with that. I was walking outside the shop opposite Franklin's at night and it felt, and looked, exactly like all the times I've stood outside similar shops on nights out in New York. The game does look excellent at times.

I'm the opposite. In game vsync was getting me a max of 59, but adaptive pushes it up to 60.

That's what I mean, I turned off the in game v-sync and used nvidia's but adaptive was causing bigger drops than just having it fully on I found. Maybe there's no difference I don't know. Try it fully on and see what you think.

Will give it a go and see then. Still finding myself tinkering with the options more than just playing the bloody thing.

I did for a while as well. Someone else (sorry can't remember) was saying they had problems with adaptive and didn't like it. It sounded good to me and I don't understand why it should create any issues but I definitely feel like just having 'on' is working better. However, I may have changed something else inbetween that is making me have more joy now.

I've found that setting V-sync in the nvidia panel (for this game) to on, rather than adaptive

I switched to this yesterday and agree - it actually feels like proper v-sync is happening as opposed to the 59hz in-game thing, which had a tiny, regular stumble of sorts.

Nvidia people can also switch on MFAA in the control panel, making sure MSAAx2 is selected in-game, to give the appearance of MSAAx4 at a little cost to the GPU.

I found these tips on the NeoGaf GTAV PC performance thread, which I thought maybe useful here (maybe put in OP?):

- Issues with mouse movement? Camera seems to judder/stutter? Try this! | Link
- FoV Mod for changing FoV in first person mode | Source
- To improve performance, while in-game alt-tab out, go into Task Manager, find the process for GTAV, set priority to high.
- If you are having an issue with 59Hz and not able to select 60Hz refresh rate, check this post. | Link
- You can use ReShade with SweetFX to add Post Processing effects to your game. | Guide | Download
- Adding a large amount of music to Self Radio can stop your game from loading and also impact in-game performance.
- You can use SweetFX as a alternative form of anti-aliasing, it has a very small impact to performance | Link
- Current system hogs are Grass set to Ultra, MSAA, and Shadows. Try lowering these settings to improve performance.
- You can install/move the game files to an SSD for faster loading times | Steam Mover
- Problem Installing? Check this

I may try setting Grass to lower than Ultra. I'm guessing there is not a huge difference in grass fidelity as I need my grass to look good :P

I've found that setting V-sync in the nvidia panel (for this game) to on, rather than adaptive, and turning it off in game gets around the 59fps thing. It still says 59 in the game options bit but as it's not doing the syncing it lets it go to 60. I might be mad but I swear that frame makes the difference. It does feel very slightly smoother now, there was something just a little off when it was capping out at 59. I'm like the princess and the pea it seems.

I don't know why but adaptive didn't seem as good as having it fully on does. It's almost like it allows it to drop more and the fully on v-sync helps to hold it up a bit more which is mad I know but that's what it feels like.

I've found settings I'm happy with now, everything very high except grass on high and it only occasionally drops 5 frames for a second or so in places. I can live with that. I was walking outside the shop opposite Franklin's at night and it felt, and looked, exactly like all the times I've stood outside similar shops on nights out in New York. The game does look excellent at times.

I told you adaptive vsync was the pits!

Glad you've found something you like.

Yep, I've got to that point were I've turned off the fps counter and am not going to mess with any settings. I get well above 60fps 95% of the time. I'm sure there will be performance enhancing patches out soon enough.

I found these tips on the NeoGaf GTAV PC performance thread, which I thought maybe useful here (maybe put in OP?):

I may try setting Grass to lower than Ultra. I'm guessing there is not a huge difference in grass fidelity as I need my grass to look good :P

I found grass to be a killer. I've got it on high now and it still looks like a FIFA pitch in most places.

I told you adaptive vsync was the pits!

Glad you've found something you like.

Ah, I thought it was you that mentioned it. Yeah it's weird, any idea why it's not all that? Does it just not work how it's supposed to?

Off topic: As of yesterday this has apparently sold over a million copies already on PC on Steam and doesn't include copies sold outside Steam. Wonder how many of those were double or triple dips.

1.3m copies on Steam alone according to SteamSpy. I'd guess Steam represents 50%+ of sales, though. Definitely lucrative enough to make it worthwhile but nowhere near the consoles. Then again, the console version sold a simply ridiculous amount of copies and the PC version arrived 18 months after release.

Still, they keep a higher percentage of revenue on PC (isn't it something like ~70% vs ~30%?), plus it'll still be selling long after console sales have dried up, albeit at a heavy discount.

Ah, I thought it was you that mentioned it. Yeah it's weird, any idea why it's not all that? Does it just not work how it's supposed to?

Not in my experience. If it did work, they wouldn't have bothered inventing G-sync.