IGNORED

GTAV PC tech-talk thread

Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

I think after a couple of days, people will get to grips with the game and manage to get a consistent 60fps on their systems. Once that hurdle has been cleared, I think the frame rate / resolution chat will die down, and people can get on with uninstalling GTA and trying to get 60fps on another game.

Ssh, he'll hear you!

witcher-3.jpg

This shit need to be bookmarked for the next time it is claimed that PC gaming is as easy as console gaming now.

If everyone ran the game at a mix of medium/high and then locked it to 30fps, I gather there would be no need

Anyway, after five mins in the menu and trying out two different sets of settings (shock), found a good mix of very high/ultra/MSAAx2 and the game is running at 60fps pretty much most of the time. Just got a fast superbike and whizzed past traffic from the city into the country for about 10 mins - felt awesome with the high fidelity and framerate.

Has anyone had any weather yet?

Tried online earlier. How do I join up with people? Do we have any crews yet? I'm up for a heist.

You'll have to get to level 12 first. I played a few hours online with my TS buddies last night, 12 of us doing a playlist. Parachute game was my favourite, although point blank shotties was fun too.

This shit need to be bookmarked for the next time it is claimed that PC gaming is as easy as console gaming now.

I just turned down a lot of settings to Normal and started playing. I'll do more tinkering later to get the perfect sweetspot. 60fps GTA goodness is lovely and first person mode is fucking awesome, loving playing it again after playing the PS3 version. :)

If anyone is seeing stutter when driving, go to the advanced graphics settings and turn off 'Long Shadows' and 'High Resolution Shadows'.

This was my only real source of frustration yesterday; usually when taking sharp turns. I turned on FRAPS to monitor the extent of the problem, and when quickly reversing and turning the car it was dropping to 30-40 fps, then climbing again. I turned off v-sync to monitor the actual drop in frames from a maximum and in the dock area when seeing 100fps when moving the car slowly, it's quite jarring to see a 60 fps drop-off down to 40. Turning off those options means the drop isn't so severe, moving from 100-70 during my tests. So with v-sync back on it feels a lot smoother because it's maintaining 60fps in those scenarios where it was dropping before.

This won't help general performance if you're dropping anyway; but it could help address those severe dips seen when driving. I'm still not happy that it's dropping this much; so I'm going to play some more. I may try moving from the HDD to SDD too, in case it is some kind of issue related to streaming assets.

Off topic: As of yesterday this has apparently sold over a million copies already on PC on Steam and doesn't include copies sold outside Steam. Wonder how many of those were double or triple dips.

Wow, if it's shifted a million on Steam alone then I imagine it's done loads more than that in total, since loads of places had it cheaper and everywhere else was just giving out RSC codes. A great game, and a decent port, so well deserved in my book. I'm glad they took the time to get it right,

Since this is the tech talk side of GTAV...

Is there much difference installing this on a SSD vs a normal HHD? If so, how much space do you need to free up and what time of differences should I expect?

60GB.

SSD would give the best experience, especially for reducing things like loading times and pop-in that people are experiencing.

60GB.

SSD would give the best experience, especially for reducing things like loading times and pop-in that people are experiencing.

If I have it installed to my normal HHD right now, is there a simple way to move it across to the SSD or would it be uninstall / install?

Edit: Worked it out :)

- Copy files from D: to C:

- Deleted local content through Steam

- Install GTAV from Steam using the C: destination

- Steam "Discovered" the GTAV files, verified rather than installed and all good

I'm so close to triple dipping on this game, if only because of what's likely to come for the PC version in terms of modding even if Rockstar son't seem keen on the idea. 60fps would be nice too as I'm pretty sure my PC would cope with that.

Anyone tried the game online yet? How's it performing there?

Can someone test something for me please? I'm having a small issue with brightness increasing/decreasing by itself, I just want to make sure it's maybe this G-Sync issue, and not something else that could potentially be fixed somehow.

Get in a car, preferably at night, and drive up to a wall. Flick on the headlights taking note of the brightness, then flick them off. Do you see any change (not the actual headlight brightness, the actual brightness of the overall screen)? A second after I switch them on or off, I notice a teeny increase/decrease. Cheers!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-grand-theft-auto-5-pc-performance?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Digital foundry find an old dual core and the hundred quid 750ti nets you a pretty consistent 60fps experience.. :D

Can someone test something for me please? I'm having a small issue with brightness increasing/decreasing by itself, I just want to make sure it's maybe this G-Sync issue, and not something else that could potentially be fixed somehow.

Get in a car, preferably at night, and drive up to a wall. Flick on the headlights taking note of the brightness, then flick them off. Do you see any change (not the actual headlight brightness, the actual brightness of the overall screen)? A second after I switch them on or off, I notice a teeny increase/decrease. Cheers!

That's hdr / eye adjustment being simulated. It's on purpose. I'd be surprised if you can turn it on/off..

I just hit go and then played the game, and it was grand. GTA games are kind of a special case though to be fair, Rockstar include crazy amounts of options to obsess over.

I've found that setting V-sync in the nvidia panel (for this game) to on, rather than adaptive

I switched to this yesterday and agree - it actually feels like proper v-sync is happening as opposed to the 59hz in-game thing, which had a tiny, regular stumble of sorts.

Nvidia people can also switch on MFAA in the control panel, making sure MSAAx2 is selected in-game, to give the appearance of MSAAx4 at a little cost to the GPU.

I found these tips on the NeoGaf GTAV PC performance thread, which I thought maybe useful here (maybe put in OP?):

- Issues with mouse movement? Camera seems to judder/stutter? Try this! | Link
- FoV Mod for changing FoV in first person mode | Source
- To improve performance, while in-game alt-tab out, go into Task Manager, find the process for GTAV, set priority to high.
- If you are having an issue with 59Hz and not able to select 60Hz refresh rate, check this post. | Link
- You can use ReShade with SweetFX to add Post Processing effects to your game. | Guide | Download
- Adding a large amount of music to Self Radio can stop your game from loading and also impact in-game performance.
- You can use SweetFX as a alternative form of anti-aliasing, it has a very small impact to performance | Link
- Current system hogs are Grass set to Ultra, MSAA, and Shadows. Try lowering these settings to improve performance.
- You can install/move the game files to an SSD for faster loading times | Steam Mover
- Problem Installing? Check this

I may try setting Grass to lower than Ultra. I'm guessing there is not a huge difference in grass fidelity as I need my grass to look good :P