GTAV PC tech-talk thread

I installed this on one of my SSD's. I was playing by 00:20. My friends on mumble were crying about 3 hour estimated install times on their mechanical disks. :lol:

Edit: this is the Steam version of all that tedious shipping stuff isn't it?

I'm genuinely not sure if I installed on my HDD or SSD, I'll have to check. The load times seemed OK when I fired it up this morning, about ten times quicker than the initial minutes-long load on console at least.

Are people running this at a solid 60fps? I set my options to what the nvidia driver thing said in the optimise bit but got repeated drops to 40. I have a 970 and i5 4690k. Should I overclock it? Don't really know how. I'm a little confused about what I'm doing wrong.

What is the benchmark thing? Does that adjust things to what the game thinks they should be or is it just a test?

I was using a 970 with a 4770k and getting 1440p/60. I left all the settings at default (most things were set to "highest") and I got a really good result. BUT I haven't entered the city yet, I was only playing through the prologue.

Maybe put the settings in-game back to default and try that first before letting Nvidia make changes.

The benchmark is a string of scenes you can run to see how well your PC copes with the game at whichever settings you've got selected.

I'm after 1080p. When I first started it the defaults were all very low with something like a 800x600 resolution. I think I must have been playing without the patch or something. Also, there's a weird option for Hz or something with options from 24 to 59 but not 60. Is that something else or should I be setting it to '59' if aiming for 60?

Was getting quite bad screen tear as well despite having adaptive v-sync on but I had the same problem in LIfe is Strange.

I'm gonna wait till the weekend to get into this, I'm sure there'll be new patches, config guides and AMD drivers - I just played through the prologue and I'm getting stuttering and a corrupted hud texture on the edge of the right hand side - not game breaking but still very noticable...

But I'm not too fussed, been playing Dying Light whilst this has been downloading and I've gotten really into it, brilliant game!

I'm after 1080p. When I first started it the defaults were all very low with something like a 800x600 resolution. I think I must have been playing without the patch or something. Also, there's a weird option for Hz or something with options from 24 to 59 but not 60. Is that something else or should I be setting it to '59' if aiming for 60?

Was getting quite bad screen tear as well despite having adaptive v-sync on but I had the same problem in LIfe is Strange.

Yeah mine defaulted to 800x600 for some reason too, but the actual settings were all "high" or "highest". I knocked it up to 1440p and left everything else as is. Hz should be set to 59, this was the default for me.

I've never found adaptive vsync very good, I believe I had vsync turned on in-game while I was playing this morning. I figure the game has sluggish controls anyhow (and I'm playing with a controller) so a bit more input lag wouldn't be the end of the world, but I need to have a proper play with it tonight.

I'd recommend treating the first week of release as a beta, even the most diligent developers with unlimited resources would struggle to get a game of this scope out the door without a few problems on certain configurations. Early reports seem to be that there are some crashy-type bugs and visual glitches for some folk, but the actual game runs well and is very well performance optimised.

Dying light had a a draw distance setting ( I thnk) that tanked framerate. Perhaps there is a similar setting in GTA? It might be case things like pedestrian and vechicle density set to highest may cause issues. When I get home I'll check.

Having a quick look around the internet and it sounds like a nightmare for someone like me who's new to all this. People are getting it all how they like it and running it nicely and then getting into the country and it all goes wrong.

I'm gonna wait till the weekend to get into this, I'm sure there'll be new patches, config guides and AMD drivers - I just played through the prologue and I'm getting stuttering and a corrupted hud texture on the edge of the right hand side - not game breaking but still very noticable...

But I'm not too fussed, been playing Dying Light whilst this has been downloading and I've gotten really into it, brilliant game!

AMD drivers came out yesterday and while I've only played the first single player mission it looked really nice :)

Having a quick look around the internet and it sounds like a nightmare for someone like me who's new to all this.

I wouldn't sweat it too much to start with. Maybe tweak the defaults it gives you (mine also went for 800x600 which is a bit silly on an i7 with 980 graphics) but not too far, play and enjoy. You can always tune it as you go when you feel like doing it.

Having a quick look around the internet and it sounds like a nightmare for someone like me who's new to all this. People are getting it all how they like it and running it nicely and then getting into the country and it all goes wrong.

This is why the benchmark is useful, it'll run scenes from all over the gameworld for you to test.

Unfortunately that's pc gaming. I'm relatively new to it but you tend to get the gist after a while about what settings are the taxing ones and the GTA V performance thread On neo gaf maybe a good point of reference in terms of advice. Also there's likely to be patches that improve performance. Nvidea released a driver today which include GTA specific improvements.

So how much free space on the SSD do you need? 2X?

Only if you preloaded.

As for gfx settings - this is the first (?) game to actually show you available vram an how much you are using as you increase the settings. Keep it out of the red and it should be smooth as butter.

I've got everything at max bar Extended Distance Scaling which I put to 3/4 as that was putting me just over - what is Extended Distance Scaling anyway? View distance detail?

@pockets:

Yes, definitely make sure you've got the GTAV driver which came out last night (just go to Geforce experience and click driver).

Here's the big thing we've all overlooked: Geforce Experience targets anywhere between 40 and 60fps. What framerate constitutes "optimal" actually varies from game to game, it's not always 60. If it's hovering between 40-60 that sounds about right.

From the Nvidia site:

What framerate does GeForce Experience target for games?

This is determined on a per game basis and It ranges from 40 to 60 fps. Note that graphics intensity can vary from scene to scene and we try to select intensive scenes for optimizing settings, so you may see averages above our target of 40 to 60 fps.

We don't know for sure if the Geforce experience is targeting 60, 40 or somewhere in-between. I can tell you that mine is very keen to ramp a whole bunch of settings up from the defaults which netted me a solid 60 this morning, so I'm guessing it's targeting 40 as a baseline.

Go and find this option and drag the slider towards "performance" a few notches, and try again.

2ora0yj.jpg

I'm going to take a wild guess that the shadows option on your PC is trying to default to "Nvidia PCSS" rather than "soft/softest"? In my experience the Nvidia specific options like this are performance killers designed to get people picking Nvidia over AMD. Try switching it off and see how you get on? Just a total guess.

Hopefully that's some help.

Thanks for the tips. I'll take another look tonight. I'm sure it will run okay as it seemed fairly solid in the prologue bit. The first big dip is when Franklin walks through the alley to get in the cars. It goes right down to 42 or something in that alley for some reason, I suspect it might be a foliage thing as there's a detailed bush or something in there.

I've only had this very quick look but I'm a little underwhelmed by it after some of what I'd heard so I was reluctant to turn things down much more. The thing is, I'm terrible for this stuff - other than resolution I'd say it was the same as the 360 version but that's just because I haven't seen it for ages. If I saw them side by side I'm sure this would look much better. I also haven't been to any potentially pretty bits yet.

I installed this on one of my SSD's. I was playing by 00:20. My friends on mumble were crying about 3 hour estimated install times on their mechanical disks. :lol:

Edit: this is the Steam version of all that tedious shipping stuff isn't it?

I swear that you could download a lot of new releases after the launch and be playing before preload folks. The decrypt time on some of these is a bastard. Have a 100mb down so that may not apply to most.

This is fantastic. I've got a GTX 970 so was expecting good performance, but my i7-920 was a slight worry due to its age. Nothing to worry about. Running at 1080p I haven't noticed Fraps drop below 60fps once. Done the prologue, a couple of other missions, got my hair cut, driven around the city a bit. It's buttery smooth. Just rock solid.

I'm playing using the GeForce experience settings set 1 notch down from optimal; so one over towards performance. It looks stunning at times.

I'm playing using the GeForce experience settings set 1 notch down from optimal; so one over towards performance. It looks stunning at times.

That might be the key then. Looking forward to trying it out. I don't mind a little bit of tinkering and can see why some even enjoy it, although I'd prefer it not be needed. I just wish I understood what I was tinkering with and how it all worked.

This is fantastic. I've got a GTX 970 so was expecting good performance, but my i7-920 was a slight worry due to its age. Nothing to worry about. Running at 1080p I haven't noticed Fraps drop below 60fps once. Done the prologue, a couple of other missions, got my hair cut, driven around the city a bit. It's buttery smooth. Just rock solid.

Good to know! I too have an older processor - i5 3570K coupled with a GTX970 and I'll be picking this up later this month! :) I'm waiting to see how it pans out and after the first raft of patches has been released...