Gamesmaster (greatest tv show ever), Bad Influence - All seasons, every episode

Meat

I think of Gamesmaster as a bit like the Top Gear of videogaming... more of a general blokey jokey show that happened to have bits where they played videogames. Bad Influence was the one where they showed games.

It may have been a few years later, but Cybernet was my favourite -- whether it was on a Saturday afternoon or those student insomnia years where I caught it 'live' at 3.30AM - because even though it was pretty dopey, it was 100% gameplay footage. Fuck presenters, fuck the Bits women with their 'sketches'... gameplay footage was always the most valuable thing.

She got better. By the time she presented Gamepad on Bravo back in the early 2000s, she was actually good.

Nope, she still wasn't good. Fact she's barely been on TV since, pretty much speaks to that.

The very worst thing about Violet: her ethics. The guy who produced and directed the first series of Gamepad and had to fight the execs to use her as a presenter, yet how was he repaid for this by Ms Berlin? Well due to this fella having a falling out with the channel execs, she seized the opportunity to then suggest her own production company (basically her and Gaz Top) make it instead.

:coffee:

BTW: I do also fell sorry for anyone at Argonaut who ended up making the animated title sequence for the latter series. Think also Argonaut got conned into doing it for nothing as well.

Nope, she still wasn't good. Fact she's barely been on TV since, pretty much speaks to that.

The very worst thing about Violet: her ethics. The guy who produced and directed the first series of Gamepad and had to fight the execs to use her as a presenter, yet how was he repaid for this by Ms Berlin? Well due to this fella having a falling out with the channel execs, she seized the opportunity to then suggest her own production company (basically her and Gaz Top) make it instead.

:coffee:

BTW: I do also fell sorry for anyone at Argonaut who ended up making the animated title sequence for the latter series. Think also Argonaut got conned into doing it for nothing as well.

To be fair that Violet Berlin stuff just sounds like business, not really unethical.

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, sir shrew said:

And of course before that Gamesworld with Bob Mills and Madame Peeps Cheat Parlour and a young David Walliams playing fool to Big Boy Barry.

I'm sure Walliams had one of the weekday shows all to himself in the early days. My main memory being him running naked across the screen with a flower pot covering his dangly bits shouting 'just a minute!!'

• 4 years later...

Bump! E4 are looking to reboot Gamesmaster. 

https://www.4sales.com/latest/2021-02/news/gamesmaster-returns-seeking-brand-partner

E4 is rebooting the cultural phenomenon GamesMaster and is seeking a Brand Partner.

GamesMaster will be a social first show, followed by an E4 TX and All 4 box set. The sponsorship opportunity with E4 combines social, digital and linear TV.

The Format

This year, five bold celebrities will embark on a gaming odyssey but only one can go on to become the GamesMaster champion and take home the Golden Joystick.

They’ll undergo challenges, races and fights in virtual battle across all genres of gaming under the watchful eye of the all-knowing GamesMaster.

Each week at least one celeb will be eliminated…Over the three epsisodes, five will become one and the winner will be crowned. They’ll play each other at everything from iconic classics to brand new releases. We’ll also be serving tonnes of extra gaming-themed content to our audiences to keep them coming back for more.

GamesMaster.jpg

This just sounds a bit like that Dave tv video game show. Maybe it could work but I highly doubt it if they’re just trying to do a task master but with games. Games master worked cos it had a bit of gaming news, features, reviews, cheats and then some challenges. The challenges were probably the worst part depending on the game and the people playing. Watching other people unskilled at games is not fun and Dom and co only made it work thanks to their commentary and general silly ness. Will probably still watch and be disappointed however.

45 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Why celebs?

Because that's all they know how to do, they ruined the Crystal Maze reboot that way and they'll do the same here.

Sounds like they want to make Go 8 Bit again to me.

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Surprised they don’t call it the Great British Gameplay or something similar. 

“GamesMaster will be a social first show, followed by an E4 TX and All 4 box set.”

What does this mean in real people’s language?

I imagine it'll be heavily marketed on social media and will be available through that. Tx is transmission, so a run on E4 and then on demand on All 4.

10 hours ago, bradigor said:

Why celebs?

It'll be people loosely defined as celebrities or people whose career goal is to be one, so we'll be seeing some YouTuber squaring off against Rita Ora on Fortnite or something. Admittedly this isn't too far off the finest GamesMaster tradition of watching someone from Neighbours getting battered at King of the Monsters by a schoolkid.

14 hours ago, Dudley said:

Because that's all they know how to do, they ruined the Crystal Maze reboot that way and they'll do the same here.

Hang on a minute. Done what now?

The idea of extracting the worst part of the original Gamesmaster - i.e. Z list celebrities incompetently flailing around in video games - and making an entire show out of it is obviously a truly terrible one. However, when it comes to Crystal Maze, a piss-taking host called Richard and of course the timeless format itself are the only critical ingredients and the makeup of the group of participants is fairly academic in comparison.

I'd even suggest that the celebrity episodes have perhaps even been more fun, on average, mainly because Ayoade has been able to be a little more merciless than he can be with a group of randoms.

As TV resurrections go, CM is pretty wonderful in my opinion, and my daughter's. It's been a lot of fun watching it with her, her being not much younger than the age I would have been when some of the originals were airing.

CM was supposed to be a reboot.

But then they decided to make it a celeb only show, I think they only filmed one series of non-celeb eps and then split it across 2 runs and we're now in about the 6th run of "celebs".  And that's ignoring the vicious cuts to the number of games they had to do to fit in more ads which combined with the need to bollocks on with the contestants means there are zones with 2 games.

And I just found out the fuckers dropped the medieval zone.

13 minutes ago, ulala said:

This will be worse, if possible, that that dara  O’Brien utter crap show, with z list celebrities. 8 bit something.

Go 8-bit

a pun on "go apeshit"... :coffee:

I want to see a Gamesmaster "where are they now", starting with the cockiest little shit in history, Akbar who first appears at 2.40, alienates the audience and remains a cocky little shit throughout, even to the point the audience boos him when he wins and boos louder when he loses. 

I thought Go 8-Bit was alright in places, and Ellie and the captains at least knew what they were on about, but they had to give it a broad appeal so they jam it with familiar retro titles and “lol, gamers eh” self-deprecating humour. In comparison, I remember GM’s humour being a bit offbeat and daft but Dom somehow made it work without being patronising or anything.

Retro and indie titles do tend to work better in a challenge format on television, because they're usually simple and easy to follow on-screen, don't have some element of challenge shoehorned into an otherwise long-form narrative, and are usually based around a single core mechanic that both viewer and player can grasp quickly.