IGNORED

Gamesmaster (greatest tv show ever), Bad Influence - All seasons, every episode

Meat

He says much the same thing in this Eurogamer retrospective, but with an added acknowledgement that he dealt with the whole thing really badly. Earlier in the piece, Dominik Diamond basically admits to bullying him during most of the show's run, something he's not proud of at all.

Glad Dom admits that, he's damn hilarious and imo single-handedly carries the show (season 3 was forgettable) but he was definitely a bit of peen (penis) to a lot of his guests and the only way to survive his wrath and get on his good books was to play along with his smutty 5th form innuendo.

Definitely feel some sympathy for Perry. There was a phase in one series where he looks at the camera and dozes off every time Perry gave his spiel before a challenge. Still, great viewing!

Bit pissed off he has blatently uploaded my recordings of bad influence (and probably my game masters but cant prove that).

youtube - badinfluenceepisodes

Whoever posted a link earlier to their channel and said they originally uploaded all those bad influence eps but then deleted their post, post it again and I'll add it to op.

Don't think it was deleted.

Yeah I didn't delete it. Only issue with my episodes are they were uploaded when youtube only accepted 12 minute videos so they are split into two.

I might reupload them as full episodes to the channel when i get faster upload speed.. hopefully this month.

I watched episode one and quite enjoyed it. Fashanu's glaring miss from 2 pixels out on the football game being a particular highlight. And in the tips section there are 2 of the most convoluted answers to the kids being stuck I've ever seen. No wonder magazines had massive tips sections back then.

The bit near the start of this one when they are reviewing gadgets like the Apple Newton which can (badly) understand hand written input is hilarious. Did they really think people would want to use things like that?

Did anyone every use them?

Myself and my brother really wanted a Newton after watching that episode. I think we actually asked for them for xmas, but changed our minds nearer the time to other stuff (videogame stuff in my case).

I used to love those little personal organisers you could buy from argos etc , even if they were pretty crappy by todays standards.

I watched that very episode last night, as it happens. Amazing how pointy Link's nose is in it.

Later in the series, Stewart Lee and Richard Herring appear and make some terrible videos in some video editing suite, and Lee ruins the magic by proclaiming that the GamesMaster "isn't a Palme d'Or judge, he's Patrick Moore in a hat."

Way to make all the little kids cry, Stew.

A somewhat tedious link but that reminds me of a Lee & Herring sitcom idea:

Ay On The Ball

Adam Ay, who used to do the video game reviews on Live & Kicking, loses his to legs in an accident. Zoe Ball feels guilty that he was sacked and so offers to carry him around on her back thus he is literally ‘eye on the ball’. If Zoe not available then Johnny Ball definitely is.

Been watching a few episodes of Bad Influence and it's funny how into it all Andy Crane isn't. Most of the time he is manically darting around acting goofy like a kids TV presenter should but every now and then the camera catches a look in his eye where you can clearly see he is wishing he was somewhere else.

Particularly amusing is the jiggering-about dance he does (in the early episodes) when he is pretending to play a video game for the cameras. He's trying to show he's into it like he's supposed to be - so "into" the game that he is ducking and diving his body to avoid gunshots from his enemies. But its particularly funny when the kids/celebs he is playing next to are just playing calmly like real people do.

Violet Berlin is more attractive to me now than she was when I was 12, when I remember just thinking she was a bit weird, I don't think I'd seen many girls with short hair at that point. Now I still think she's weird but also quite cute and a really shit presenter. She definitely seems more genuinely excited by the tech than AC does.

The show is really clearly trying to ape the language and feel of magazines back in the day, and getting it wrong a lot of the time because it's probably made by a team that isn't really that into games. They just knew ITV needed something to compete with GM.

I actually ended up enjoying bad influence more ( although most of the Zee bits were boring) as I found a lot of the games on games Master where a bit boring ( usually sports games).

The news aspect of bad influence was great and had lots of stuff I hadn't heard of before.

Also pretty sure I read andy wasn't into games at all ( hence why they got violet Berlin) so it doesn't surprise me some people think that but I thought he did a good job nonetheless.

Yeah, Bad Influence did always seem to cover more games, I remember being disappointed that sometimes a whole episode of GM would come and go without showing a single game I was interested in - what with just having 3 challenges per show and a handful of reviews.

For me though the most interesting bits about BI are the bits in the later series when the internet has come into play. Seeing the 1994 Blur and Oasis websites was a blast of nostalgia because I remember looking at them on the PCs in the library when I was in 6th form , which was the first time I really got to use the internet. The bits about how they imagine online shopping is going to work are funny though - moving through an extremely low-poly-count "store" in FPV, picking up virtual items off shelves.

Also funny seeing them get really excited about the "amazing, lifelike" graphics in early PS1 and Saturn games like Virtua Fighter and Sega Rally.

I think of Gamesmaster as a bit like the Top Gear of videogaming... more of a general blokey jokey show that happened to have bits where they played videogames. Bad Influence was the one where they showed games.

It may have been a few years later, but Cybernet was my favourite -- whether it was on a Saturday afternoon or those student insomnia years where I caught it 'live' at 3.30AM - because even though it was pretty dopey, it was 100% gameplay footage. Fuck presenters, fuck the Bits women with their 'sketches'... gameplay footage was always the most valuable thing.